Author Topic: The MLB Thread  (Read 629291 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The MLB Thread
« Reply #1530 on: January 19, 2016, 10:31:35 am »
Jon Heyman is reporting Illitch was ready to pull trigger on deal for Davis instead until Avila talked him out if it.  All hail, Avila.
LVMH

« Reply #1532 on: January 20, 2016, 09:59:23 am »
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/3d58da5f969a41108ac4d7a384ddbd6e/trial-was-start-settlement-reached-mlb-tv-dispute
This is as good a time to ask as any: I got mlb.tv last year for the first time (had bought Extra Innings in the past) and liked it very much. The best online sports package out there (I wish the NHLs was as good). Question though since I did not buy it until a week into the regular season: how much, if any, spring training coverage does it have?
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #1533 on: January 20, 2016, 02:17:46 pm »
This is as good a time to ask as any: I got mlb.tv last year for the first time (had bought Extra Innings in the past) and liked it very much. The best online sports package out there (I wish the NHLs was as good). Question though since I did not buy it until a week into the regular season: how much, if any, spring training coverage does it have?

If your team normally broadcasts their spring training games in the home market, they are available on MLB.TV

I had about half of the Angels spring training games on MLB.TV from Fox sports West, and about another 1/3 from away broadcasts.  It was convenient for me as most were during lunch.

As for your other email, $84.99 is not a savings enough for me to do Angels only.  I'll drop the $109.99 for all the games.  This was intriguing though:

MLB also agreed to provide live local team broadcasts over the Internet for cable subscribers by the start of the 2017 season.  In most instances, a subscription to a team's cable outlet is necessary to view games online, though the agreement contemplates eventually enabling some fans to watch games online without traditional cable subscriptions.

27>34

« Reply #1534 on: January 20, 2016, 02:20:42 pm »
As for your other email, $84.99 is not a savings enough for me to do Angels only.  I'll drop the $109.99 for all the games.  This was intriguing though:
I agree. If it was $49.99 I'd consider doing Tigers only but an extra $25 for everything else? That's like two cocktails.
LVMH

Kubacheck

« Reply #1535 on: January 20, 2016, 06:58:33 pm »
I agree. If it was $49.99 I'd consider doing Tigers only but an extra $25 for everything else? That's like two cocktails.

it's 84.99 for a "single team"??.... obviously they'd rather everyone just buy the whole thing, you're only saving like $4 a month.... I'll continue with my current plan, MLB.tv Premium, which is $129.....

vansmack

« Reply #1536 on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:35 pm »

I'll continue with my current plan, MLB.tv Premium, which is $129.....

They reduced this to $109.99.  Go Lawyers!

And yes, I will be doing the same...
27>34

Kubacheck

« Reply #1537 on: January 20, 2016, 07:25:26 pm »

109 now??... WINNING!!!

Space Freely

« Reply #1538 on: January 21, 2016, 09:15:46 am »

So all I need is a tv and a Roku device and $110 and I can watch any MLB game live all season?

I don't think my wife would be happy with that, but I'm just trying to establish the reality of what it is they offer.

« Reply #1539 on: January 21, 2016, 10:09:46 am »
I don't think my wife would be happy with that, but I'm just trying to establish the reality of what it is they offer.
It has blackouts of local teams so you could not use it to watch O's/Nats unless you want to involve a VPN. It also does not show nationally televised games, so you cannot cancel ESPN and then watch that.

But other than that, yes, HD feeds of every game (with the option to watch either teams feed) and you can get the app for your phone to watch there too (or listen to the local radio feeds) for no additional $. And many Smart TVs/Tivo/video game thingies have the Mlb.tv app so you might not even need to buy a Roku depending on what you have in your home already.

For people like Smackie and myself who live out of market for our favorite team, it's glorious.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #1540 on: January 21, 2016, 10:23:51 am »
It has blackouts of local teams so you could not use it to watch O's/Nats unless you want to involve a VPN. It also does not show nationally televised games, so you cannot cancel ESPN and then watch that.

But other than that, yes, HD feeds of every game (with the option to watch either teams feed) and you can get the app for your phone to watch there too (or listen to the local radio feeds) for no additional $. And many Smart TVs/Tivo/video game thingies have the Mlb.tv app so you might not even need to buy a Roku depending on what you have in your home already.

For people like Smackie and myself who live out of market for our favorite team, it's glorious.

Thanks for explaining, that makes sense.

For me, that would entail buying a second tv and possibly second Roku. Which would be fine. And building a mancave, since my wife wouldn't be interested. And spending evenings in separate rooms in front of separate tv's. So I guess I won't be subscribing. The no O's/Nats part makes it an even easier decision.

So do both Oakland and San Francisco count and Smackie's home teams, but the other California teams don't?

hutch

« Reply #1541 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:27 am »
this thread is like help me thing.

I am tempted. its probably $199 to get the extra innings package on FIOS....I think.. I don't stream at this point..

I'm tempted because often I find myself wanting to watch other teams like the Yankees or Dodgers or whoever happens to have players I enjoy seeing...

my FIOS contract is up soon but I'm not sure what I'll do... I need a ton of channels from all the news to Latino channels to Sports channels.. MLB network which I watch quite a bit.. so I don't think I have any other better options than FIOS.. I also need the internet service and a  landline so it seems like FIOS is the only way to go..

If anyone has any bright ideas lemme know and it will be appreciated..I am currently paying about $140/month and I get a ton of stuff I do watch plus the internet plus the landline...

« Reply #1542 on: January 21, 2016, 10:33:52 am »
So do both Oakland and San Francisco count and Smackie's home teams, but the other California teams don't?

It appears that way from the MLBs zipcode blackout look up thingie.
LVMH

« Reply #1543 on: January 21, 2016, 10:38:37 am »

I am tempted. its probably $199 to get the extra innings package on FIOS....I think.. I don't stream at this point..
It was like $150 last time I got Extra Innings and the majority of the games were in SD. I was also reticent to go to an online service but I cannot stress enough the superiority of MLB.tv in every way (for less $).

my FIOS contract is up soon but I'm not sure what I'll do... I need a ton of channels from all the news to Latino channels to Sports channels.. MLB network which I watch quite a bit.. so I don't think I have any other better options than FIOS.. I also need the internet service and a  landline so it seems like FIOS is the only way to go..

If anyone has any bright ideas lemme know and it will be appreciated..I am currently paying about $140/month and I get a ton of stuff I do watch plus the internet plus the landline...
I pay $116/month for Comcast (I am a TiVo nut and TiVo has native support for Comcast OnDemand) and I get every channel they offer in HD, HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/Encore, and 110/50 internet at that price. No landline. I have negotiated that down a bit and own all my own equipment though.

I am also probably the one person on Earth who has never had any difficulties with Comcast customer support, though.
LVMH

hutch

« Reply #1544 on: January 21, 2016, 11:05:22 am »

It was like $150 last time I got Extra Innings and the majority of the games were in SD. I was also reticent to go to an online service but I cannot stress enough the superiority of MLB.tv in every way (for less $).

I pay $116/month for Comcast (I am a TiVo nut and TiVo has native support for Comcast OnDemand) and I get every channel they offer in HD, HBO/Showtime/Cinemax/Starz/Encore, and 110/50 internet at that price. No landline. I have negotiated that down a bit and own all my own equipment though.

I am also probably the one person on Earth who has never had any difficulties with Comcast customer support, though.
Hey I appreciate that.

I seriously doubt you get the channels I get with Comcast but I would not switch to them for just a little money less anyways.. and the no landline would be a dealbreaker..

I admit I don't get the movie channels but those are pointless to me..and I'm guessing they will throw some of that in for free when I renegotiate... I would say 95% of my watching is sports, news and a couple of Latino channels...and when its baseball season I do like to follow it..kind of relaxes me to have it on.. even if sometimes i'm not paying much attention..