Author Topic: security in the pit?  (Read 31511 times)

filthypit

Re: security in the pit?
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2004, 10:57:00 am »
small penis theory:
 generally, people seek work as bouncers (9:30 doorstaph) because of underlying feelings of inadequacy - it gives them a feeling of dominance.  
 perhaps they washed out of the police academy, or pro-wrestling school... perhaps their short-comings lie elsewhere(?)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
filthypit, your focus on staffers' peni appears to confirm Rhett's theory.
_\|/_

filthypit

« Reply #62 on: August 20, 2004, 11:05:00 am »
my friend's call me filth

Bags

« Reply #63 on: August 20, 2004, 11:07:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  Ill be arms folded, I don't dance guy
How will we call out to you amidst the other hundreds of "Arms Folded, I Don't Dance Guy"s...It'd be like yelling out "Nikki" at a greek wedding.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2004, 11:09:00 am »
is Rhett's real name Ian MacKaye?
_\|/_

Bags

« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2004, 11:10:00 am »
Originally posted by CloverOverDover:
 I see several shows a month at the club, sometimes several in one week. I have never, EVER seen a staff member acting unprofessionally.

There's a reason that the club wins award after award. The 9:30 Club is a class act, pure and simple.
I agree with you completely, as do many....

ChokingVictim

« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2004, 11:13:00 am »
i'm going to make this short&sweet because i have to get to work.  i DID NOT throw any punches at anyone.  i especially would NEVER throw any punches at anyone that worked at the club.  first of all, i wouldn't want to get hit back, secondly, why would i pay for a perfectly good show&fuck it up by attacking someone that worked at the venue.  i wouldn't.  also, i never said that the stapher grabbed my neck, he grabbed my torso.  specifically underneath my ribs.  anyway, i didn't come on here to start anything, i just came to say my piece.  &evidently, because the 930 is such a wonderful place, everyone's calling bullshit on me.  i've never had a problem like this before at the club&i've been going for the past 8 or so years.  it's not like i go out of my way to complain about every little thing.  it's fine though, whatever, i'm a threat, blah blah blah, end of story.  everyone can move on now.
 xox

Guiny

« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2004, 11:15:00 am »
Originally posted by hitman:

Originally posted by ChokingVictim:
 it's fine, i'll drop it, but you guys are still lame as hell for having assholes in the pit.  
 xox

Normally that is all that is in a pit... [/b]
Acutally, your way off on that one. I go in the pit but I think a few board members would tell you that I'm not an asshole.

ChokingVictim

« Reply #68 on: August 20, 2004, 11:18:00 am »
on&one more thing, what did i contradict myself on?  
 xox

Originally posted by samsfresh5:
  I don't want to "pile on", but I want to mirror snailhook in a response to this. To be clear, I wasn't there either, and I mostly just read this board, posting very rarely. However, when I read a thread like this, I think it affects me personally the way it would any other doorstaph member.  We try so hard every night to ensure that everyone that walks through those doors; bands, crew, staph, *and* patrons, have a good time and walk away with a positive reflection of that club and the band and show they saw.

In my 33 years and what I "guess-timate" to be probably over 500 shows, including the full mix of those that I've worked in the last two years at the club, I've never understood "moshing".  I like to get excited and jump up and down and "dance" at shows when they really excite me. However, no matter how excited I get, I don't like people hitting me, punching me, or overtly bumping into me when I'm watching a band that I paid money to see. I feel like... if you wanna do that with your buddies, go home, put on the album, and beat the shit out of each other, but please, let me watch my band.

*HOWEVER*  THAT SAID, Many people seem to embrace this phenomenon of "Hey man, the music gets me and my buddy angry and we want to run into each other and bang our skulls together." I have grown to accept this phenomenon, (reluctantly) and in those said 2 years at 930, I've watched it unfold at many shows.  It has several different forms, almost ALL of which are usually never interfered with by 930 doorstaph. However, there may be one or two of us standing nearby making sure that no one falls down, breaks an ankle, cuts themselves badly, passes out, or fights another person. ALL OF WHICH I HAVE SEEN from mosh pits at our club, which the starter of this thread has basically said she thinks is understandable if you choose to go to a show and "get in the mosh pit".

Some of the doorstaph that work at our club pour their hearts and souls into wearing many hats and working alot of behind the scenes hours apart from the 2 to 3 that a patron sees every night. Some people are like me and do it for the love of the 930 Club, music and bands that I might not either have the chance to, or would even think to see. Most of us are a mix of both, and as I understand Seth so eloquently put it, an ??Amalgamation of Misfits and Characters?.  

Whatever we are, we all love to tell people about the cool shows we have and brag about the ??Nightclub of the Year?? award, but grabbing or roughing patrons is not in anyway any part of what we do or who we are. I see us more as "ushers" or "customer-service reps."  ..we don't even use the "S" word to describe what we do.    :)  

Despite what you may think, getting bumped into in the mosh pit does not give you free reign to throw punches at another patron.  From what everyone else??s account of the event tells me, that??s what you did. (again, I wasn??t there, but not I, nor most of this board, is buying your story and it's contradiction and irony)  If one of our doorstaph sees someone doing that to another patron, they will step in between it and diffuse the situation. I??ve never seen any of our doorstaph grab a patron, especially someone??s neck, and I highly doubt ANY of our staph did that, especially the guy that you are accusing.

Sorry for the essay on this, but I don??t sweep up cigarette butts, clean up vomit, carry inebriated people out of the club, and deal with 40 crazed fans who??ll wait 2 hours after Weird Al Yanovic??s show to get him to sign their accordion?

...to read a post from someone flaming my friends and co-workers for an accusation that makes about as much sense as having someone kick you in the face for fun.  

Oh wait? isn??t that that *other* phenomenon called ??Crowd surfing"?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #69 on: August 20, 2004, 11:19:00 am »
What show was this anyway?

Guiny

« Reply #70 on: August 20, 2004, 11:21:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
  or maybe moshers are all repressed gays or bi's.
That would mean your a mosher, and since you say your not, then that theory is blown.

Guiny

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2004, 11:28:00 am »
Originally posted by CloverOverDover:
  I see several shows a month at the club, sometimes several in one week. I have never, EVER seen a staff member acting unprofessionally.  
So you wouldn't consider a staph memeber checking out one's girlfriend or staring at her until he's caught unprofessional? I find that HUGELY unprofessional especially when it's happened more than once at a concert. She wasn't moshing and wasn't taking pictures, I shoulda just walked up to the punk and asked him what rule she was breaking just standing there watching the show.

Guiny

« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
Originally posted by snailhook:
 doorstaph do NOT manhandle patrons, whether they be a huge angry meathead or a tiny moshing girl. we react and respond to the given situation with intelligence and practicality, always keeping in mind, first and foremost, the safety and comfort of the patrons. we are far from the typical aggressive bouncers encountered at some other clubs. we do not use violence or aggressive tactics to deal with a situation unless pushed to do so, which is infrequent.
I believe that is the LAPD's motto also.

mankie

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2004, 12:18:00 pm »
  i'm going to make this short&sweet because i have to get to work.  i DID NOT throw any punches at anyone.  i especially would NEVER throw any punches at anyone that worked at the club.  first of all, i wouldn't want to get hit back, secondly, why would i pay for a perfectly good show&fuck it up by attacking someone that worked at the venue.  i wouldn't.  also, i never said that the stapher grabbed my neck, he grabbed my torso.  specifically underneath my ribs.  anyway, i didn't come on here to start anything, i just came to say my piece.  &evidently, because the 930 is such a wonderful place, everyone's calling bullshit on me.  i've never had a problem like this before at the club&i've been going for the past 8 or so years.  it's not like i go out of my way to complain about every little thing.  it's fine though, whatever, i'm a threat, blah blah blah, end of story.  everyone can move on now.
 xox
I don't think they're calling bullshit on you, you have no reason to make stuff up about the club....I think they are simply saying they find it hard to believe that a stapher would act in such a way "intentionally". Maybe he thought you were getting roughed up a bit too much so tried to get you out, but in accidently grabbed you a bit too harshly, or was pushed himself as he was reaching out to you.

Nobody knows but you and the security person involved, so maybe next time you see him working the club mention it to him.

You did contradict yourself a little bit though with a couple of your comments, and we're all a bunch of sarcastic little tossers with no life so like to pick on every little thing we can. It's fun....join in!!

:D

eltee

« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2004, 12:26:00 pm »
  i never said that the stapher grabbed my neck, he grabbed my torso.  specifically underneath my ribs.  
Yowza. Sounds like he has Paul Bunyan hands. We all know what that means....  :eek: