Author Topic: Pitchfork writers needed  (Read 13480 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: Pitchfork writers needed
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2004, 06:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by redsock:
  ...this all started with sarcasm, and Mankie and I, as well as Mankie and just about everyone else, have a history of sarcasm. My comments to him were based almost entirely on that premise. Though I do think Waterboys and the Beautiful South suck ... The writers on thie site are free to review absoultely anything they want to ... the writers are free to feel and write anything they want regarding the CD's. The point of the site is to promote good music, regardless of the form it comes in. At the same time we need to alert folks to crap too. If a writer wanted to review a new Waterboys CD, knock yourself out. Whetehr you love it or hate it, as long as you express yourself intelligently, it works for me. And of course, there will be plenty to disagree with.

We are just starting up, and it is a bit of an up-hill struggle. There is all sorts of weird crap we have to review. So please be patient as we try to find our niche, and reserve any judgments till then. (thanks Bags)
Good to hear (so to speak, or write (type)). I didn't read every post so I missed some of the context. My only intent was some constructive criticism; I wish you well and would like to see Big Yawn succeed.

As for The Waterboys and Beautiful South, well, Frank Zappa once said something like "if you don't like it then it sucks."
😐 🎶

redsock

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2004, 06:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:

Originally posted by brennser:

And, so far this year I don't think there have been any new Beautiful South or Waterboys CDs.
not this year (2004) but the waterboys did release an album last year.....drum roll please.....which was crap! (and thats from someone who thinks Mike Scott is a genius) [/b]
That's actually the one I heard. Perhaps there is something better. [/b]
Yet more proof of open-minded reviewing...."THEY SUCK" after listening to just one album..."the album sucks" I'll accept, but how can you say a band who's been around for over 20 years SUCKS after listening to one album?

How many Beautiful South albums did it take to bring you to the same conclusion....ONE maybe?

Looks like bigyawn will be just that from judging the early going of the reviews it's churning out. [/b]
As much as I want to say "Fuck off Geezer!" I'll hold off. however, Please please please differetiate between myself and the site. My creation, yes, but I am but one voice in a basket of many.

And you've heard four fucking songs from Exit Clov, four fucking songs, despite my numerous attempts to get you out to see them. How do you know dick about how good the musicianship is?

Fuck off geezer!!!

mankie

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2004, 06:38:00 pm »
If you care to remember...I have never said Exit Clov SUCK (well, apart from the name) I said I thought the singer has the voice of an angel, the lyrics lame and the musicians sub-par. I'd say that's a review....a short one admittedly, but much more of a review than "THEY SUCK". I bet I've heard  everything Exit Clov have put on CD, or the vast majority at least  ....which we can't say the same for you and the Beautiful South or Waterboys.

I really do wish you luck on the website though, just winding you up about it...HEY! I gotta be me!   :D

J'Mal

« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2004, 06:50:00 pm »
What do they pay for these reviews?

redsock

« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2004, 07:19:00 pm »
Originally posted by J'Mal:
  What do they pay for these reviews?
Well Pitchfork pays you in street cred I guess. BigYawn pays you in ego boost only at the moment. Oh, and the writers currently on staff get a free t-shirt at the party tomorrow night. And some free CD's of course. I'm workin on a killer 401K matching program though.

markie

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2004, 08:35:00 pm »
In defence of Redsock.......

Not that he really needs it, as I think he has made his point. But he didnt suggest what I review or change any of my reviews other than to fit the format of the site, i.e Caps and italics.

In defence of Mankie.....

I think the beautiful south are a fine band, a bit passed their prime now, but they had a pretty good run of albums and big hit singles. Carry on up the charts, the greatest hits would fit well in the collection of anyone who liked intelligent pop.

As for the waterboys, aren't they just one hit wonders?

:p

Bags

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2004, 12:35:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

What hit???

poorlulu

« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2004, 12:51:00 am »
ooh bags that's a bit harsh.........it's a cracking song.........

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2004, 10:44:00 am »
  I try to provide some CD suggestions when I can, which consist of bands with some sort of reputation, i.e. Basement Jaxx, or bands with no reputations (some local bands we are reviewing[not exit clov]).
I'd love to see a real emphasis on local bands.  There are already tons of sites reviewing bands that are already receiving national attention.  I'd definitely go see a lot more local bands if I knew what they sounded like first, or at least heard opinions from other folks first. Reviews of local gigs would be great too, since many local bands either don't have CDs out, or you can't buy them without going to a show.

mankie

« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by mark e smith:

So a band has to have a "hit" to be considered talented then? Interesting, that would mean 95% of all bands mentioned on this board are total bobbins and the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys 98Degrees, N'Sync, Britney, Christina...and all those other immensely gifted musicians and song writers leave our favourite bands in their shadows when it comes to talent.

« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2004, 10:50:00 am »
I dunno...most local bands suck. There's a reason why they're not recieving national attention (the ones who aren't)...and could that reason in part be mediocrity?

ggw

« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2004, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by Rhett Miller:
 most local bands suck.
Could you be more specific?

Which ones have you seen?

Why did they "suck?"

redsock

« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2004, 10:58:00 am »
  I dunno...most local bands suck. There's a reason why they're not recieving national attention (the ones who aren't)...and could that reason in part be mediocrity?
Having seen more than my fair share of local bands...I would say "mediocre" is a better word than "suck". Very few of them have anything unique about them. Which doesn't mean they can't still be pleasant...but if it's been done before, it's a lot harder to stand out. And the local folk thing around here gets extremely repititious and dull.

redsock

« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2004, 11:01:00 am »
  . There's a reason why they're not recieving national attention (the ones who aren't)...
I think that comment is nieve. There are tons of great local bands around this country, who deserve to, yet receive no spotlight. This is for any number of reasons, but some of it comes down to dumb luck, or a lack of it. Being in the right place at the right time actually factors in here. The bottom line is that you have to get noticed by someone who likes you and can do something about it. That's not easy, regardless of how good you are.

« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2004, 11:02:00 am »
Which local bands that aren't getting national attention actually deserve national attention?

Alright "suck" was too strong of a word to use...but I do think there are wayyyyy too many wannabe rock stars in the world, and there's a reason why most of them don't make it....they have nothing to day musically or lyrically.

I would say to me, 95% of bands that exist are not worth bothering with....not necessarily because they may be of a genre that I don't casre for, but more likely because notrhing stands out about them.

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

most local bands suck.
Could you be more specific?

Which ones have you seen?

Why did they "suck?" [/b]