Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1180041 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2385 on: November 20, 2013, 12:09:56 pm »
I'll be glad to listen if we ever meet up for a beer.

I probably have the same like of thinking as you. I've been here for 16 years and definitely wanted to leave for the first five. It's definitely not my dream Metro region, but I've learned to appreciate certain things about it. My wife and I both like our jobs, so that's the biggest thing.

So staying seems in the cards for us for now, the real battle would be where to go after here (if anywhere) when it is time to move on.

I'm pretty sure we are moving to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.  Longer summers and shorter winters, but still 4 seasons.  A decent metro area...not the cultural amenities of DC but not too shabby either.  Good local music scene.  Good economy for both mine an my wife's chosen careers.  Great schools.  And we can buy a 5 acre farm 20 minutes from the city for about $400k.  And down there, if you live 20 miles from your job you get in the car and drive 30 min and park in a parking space.  For free.

hutch

« Reply #2386 on: November 20, 2013, 12:17:35 pm »

I'm pretty sure we are moving to the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area.  Longer summers and shorter winters, but still 4 seasons.  A decent metro area...not the cultural amenities of DC but not too shabby either.  Good local music scene.  Good economy for both mine an my wife's chosen careers.  Great schools.  And we can buy a 5 acre farm 20 minutes from the city for about $400k.  And down there, if you live 20 miles from your job you get in the car and drive 30 min and park in a parking space.  For free.

yeah.. I think that is smart.

James Ford

« Reply #2387 on: November 20, 2013, 12:34:01 pm »
Good for you guys. Go for it.

I lived in Chapel Hill for a year in 1996-1997 and moved here. Loved that area and the people there, but hated my job. That's probably still one of the places I'd happily transfer my job to.

I'll be glad to listen if we ever meet up for a beer.

I probably have the same like of thinking as you. I've been here for 16 years and definitely wanted to leave for the first five. It's definitely not my dream Metro region, but I've learned to appreciate certain things about it. My wife and I both like our jobs, so that's the biggest thing.

So staying seems in the cards for us for now, the real battle would be where to go after here (if anywhere) when it is time to move on.

atomic

« Reply #2388 on: November 20, 2013, 12:44:13 pm »
At a prior company they offered to move me to Columbus, Ohio and if I couldn't sell my house in 3 months they would buy it from me.   Plus they would give me a raise.  House prices are cheap in Columbus and there isn't much traffic and it seems like a decent city but in the end I decided not to move. 

James Ford

« Reply #2389 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:56 pm »
Having lived in Baltimore for three years and visited Columbus twice, I'd choose Baltimore too.

Though the Columbus Brewing Company's local to Ohio draft-only Bodhi DIPA is miles better than any beer ever produced in Baltimore, but that's a different thread.

At a prior company they offered to move me to Columbus, Ohio and if I couldn't sell my house in 3 months they would buy it from me.   Plus they would give me a raise.  House prices are cheap in Columbus and there isn't much traffic and it seems like a decent city but in the end I decided not to move. 

Yada

« Reply #2390 on: November 20, 2013, 12:49:58 pm »

I'd say that's probably one of the better decisions you've made in your life. Why would one want to live in Ohio?

James Ford

« Reply #2391 on: November 20, 2013, 12:51:34 pm »
There are many more college girls in Columbus than Baltimore, that's one thing.

I'd say that's probably one of the better decisions you've made in your life. Why would one want to live in Ohio?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 12:57:39 pm by James Ford »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2392 on: November 20, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »
Good for you guys. Go for it.

I lived in Chapel Hill for a year in 1996-1997 and moved here. Loved that area and the people there, but hated my job. That's probably still one of the places I'd happily transfer my job to.

Aside from the messed up state politics it's a great area.  My brother is down there and my wife went to hs down there, so we know lots and lots of people.  I probably have more friends with kids down there than i do up here.  Close to great beaches, close to the mountains, and great motorcycle roads to boot.

Definitely a downgrade in the cuisine department.  I will miss that. 

atomic

« Reply #2393 on: November 20, 2013, 01:42:48 pm »
There are many more college girls in Columbus than Baltimore, that's one thing.

Yeah hot Ohio State chicks, good food, and realtively low crime. It has stuff going for it.  Plus they have  a hockey team and an outdoor music venue right downtown.  But never order crab cakes in Ohio.  Size of a quarter and taste like poop.

I had to travel there quite a few times for that company. It isn't so bad but it takes a little more than that to get me to move.  If San Francisco was the same cost of living or I got paid twice as much in salary I would move there.  Unfortunatley, housing is much more and income is only a little more. 

vansmack

« Reply #2394 on: November 20, 2013, 01:57:13 pm »
If San Francisco was the same cost of living

Then how would we keep the riff-raff out?
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2395 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:19 pm »

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2396 on: November 22, 2013, 10:24:34 am »
http://www.today.com/entertainment/monty-python-announces-greatest-hits-reunion-show-2D11624352

not sure about this one.  could go either way.  and can we get a spell checker in here?  i mean really, its so almost two thousand fourteen.  or is using google chrome that much easier.  i only use google chrome for my gmail.

hutch

« Reply #2397 on: November 22, 2013, 04:37:48 pm »
workin' on "the squinch"

hutch

« Reply #2398 on: November 22, 2013, 04:38:25 pm »
http://www.today.com/entertainment/monty-python-announces-greatest-hits-reunion-show-2D11624352

not sure about this one.  could go either way.  and can we get a spell checker in here?  i mean really, its so almost two thousand fourteen.  or is using google chrome that much easier.  i only use google chrome for my gmail.

what are you yammerin' about? it will be awesome..

« Reply #2399 on: November 22, 2013, 05:15:10 pm »
Some great maps of San Francisco.  I lived in Lesbians for a while
maps of SF
slack