Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1180027 times)

hutch

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3015 on: January 30, 2014, 01:21:49 pm »
Or step into 2014 and use Spotify, the best music service ever.

yeah...fuck the musician or songwriter...

ggw

« Reply #3016 on: January 30, 2014, 01:34:19 pm »
if you buy a record you should get the mp3s free...actually in FLAC or some such....end of story.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3017 on: January 30, 2014, 01:37:17 pm »
now that, was a great, and expected, burn . . . ggw.

hutch

« Reply #3018 on: January 30, 2014, 01:37:50 pm »
if you buy a record you should get the mp3s free...actually in FLAC or some such....end of story.

by buying the record? that is one strange way of looking at it..

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3019 on: January 30, 2014, 01:43:45 pm »
Hutch, you posted like 20 albums you bought used the other day.  The band/songwriter gets ZERO of that... So what are your thoughts about buying used music?  Necessary evil?  I am just curious.  Everyone loves to slam everyone else for what they do... You say "fuck spotify" (I agree by the way) but then buy tons of used vinyl...

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3020 on: January 30, 2014, 01:45:11 pm »
simple concept hutch . . . one thing does not equal the other.  you pay money for everything you have to buy, unless you agree that when you buy a hamburger at mcdonalds now, that you should get another hamburger for free, to eat, later.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3021 on: January 30, 2014, 01:49:57 pm »
Walkonby, using your Mickey Ds analogy, it is like a Happy Meal.  A package deal, and when you buy the meal, it comes with a toy.  You dont have to buy the toy separate.

hutch

« Reply #3022 on: January 30, 2014, 01:51:41 pm »
simple concept hutch . . . one thing does not equal the other.  you pay money for everything you have to buy, unless you agree that when you buy a hamburger at mcdonalds now, that you should get another hamburger for free, to eat, later.

baloney. this is a terrible analogy

when i buy an album i'm buying the music...there is nothing wrong with me getting the music in two formats... one portable one not

i am paying a fee for the MUSIC.

having said that, I don't listen to mp3s... they blow..

hutch

« Reply #3023 on: January 30, 2014, 01:55:04 pm »
Hutch, you posted like 20 albums you bought used the other day.  The band/songwriter gets ZERO of that... So what are your thoughts about buying used music?  Necessary evil?  I am just curious.  Everyone loves to slam everyone else for what they do... You say "fuck spotify" (I agree by the way) but then buy tons of used vinyl...

well I buy tons of music.. new used whatever

there are degrees...

I sleep pretty easy knowing Dexter Gordon who is long dead is not getting money cause i bought his album blues a la suisse which in any case is unavailable/out of print in all formats....I mean, really? I should be troubled? WTF?

atomic

« Reply #3024 on: January 30, 2014, 01:57:28 pm »

Buying stuff used helps the artist. If Hutch doesn't buy the used copy someone else would now that someone else will have to buy it new.

hutch

« Reply #3025 on: January 30, 2014, 02:00:31 pm »

Buying stuff used helps the artist. If Hutch doesn't buy the used copy someone else would now that someone else will have to buy it new.

exactly... I was going to say there are linkages between the used and new music market..they don't operate in isolation of each other

if i go on amazon.com and buy say the avett brothers used for 8.99 plus shipping then the next person will buy it new because there won't be any used copies that cost less

ggw

« Reply #3026 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:14 pm »
I really hope this is just a weak attempt at humor.

exactly... I was going to say there are linkages between the used and new music market..they don't operate in isolation of each other

if i go on amazon.com and buy say the avett brothers used for 8.99 plus shipping then the next person will buy it new because there won't be any used copies that cost less

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3027 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:48 pm »
Walkonby, using your Mickey Ds analogy, it is like a Happy Meal.  A package deal, and when you buy the meal, it comes with a toy.  You dont have to buy the toy separate.

mcdonalds is allowing that free toy to be in the happy meal as an incentive to buy the happy meal.  they dont have to do that; their choice.  they could charge more for a happy meal with a toy versus one with no toy and people with kids could choose which to do.  in fact i think people would enjoy that option because i think most parents fucking hate, those junky trash plastic winding up in the damn landfill anyway, happy meal toys.  this is america, you americans, where you get nothing for free.

atomic

« Reply #3028 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:13 pm »
I really hope this is just a weak attempt at humor.

Why would it be an attempt at humor?

Hexenjagd

« Reply #3029 on: January 30, 2014, 02:05:32 pm »
And the label is adding the digital files as an incentive as well.