Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244941 times)

imbecile

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3255 on: August 15, 2013, 10:59:45 am »
which columbus . . . i think every state has a columbus, like every state has a woodstock.

Oh yeah, sorry.  Columbus, Ohio.  I thought my skepticism of the place would've given it away.

James Ford

« Reply #3256 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:17 am »
If you're talking about Columbus, Ohio, the Bodhi DIPA from Columbus Brewing is out of this world good. Not sure if they are bottling it yet, though they had plans to. They DO bottle their regular IPA, and it's very good as well.

Also, Bodega has an excellent draft list, with good food.

And sometimes Columbus gets shipments of Zombie Dust from Three Floyds. Also, White Rajah from the Brew Kettle sometimes makes it down that way. It's a top notch ipa. So if you're in a bottle shop or near the Whole Foods or Anderson Store out in the burbs, look for those. And Thirsty Dog's Imperial Stout is also something to grab.

If you were talking about a different Columbus, then scratch what i said.

Sooo.. I'm going to Columbus tomorrow morning for the weekend?  Anything I should be on the lookout for?

From what I can tell, it's not a beer town at all, so I'll try and make the best of it.

imbecile

« Reply #3257 on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:01 am »
If you're talking about Columbus, Ohio, the Bodhi DIPA from Columbus Brewing is out of this world good. Not sure if they are bottling it yet, though they had plans to. They DO bottle their regular IPA, and it's very good as well.

And sometimes Columbus gets shipments of Zombie Dust from Three Floyds. Also, White Rajah from the Brew Kettle sometimes makes it down that way. It's a top notch ipa. So if you're in a bottle shop or near the Whole Foods or Anderson Store out in the burbs, look for those. And Thirsty Dog's Imperial Stout is also something to grab.

Sooo.. I'm going to Columbus tomorrow morning for the weekend?  Anything I should be on the lookout for?

From what I can tell, it's not a beer town at all, so I'll try and make the best of it.

good lord, you're a wealth of information.  I'd been googling for an hour and hadn't found anything as good as what you posted in a few minutes.  As a lover of hops, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this.  Thanks.

Also, my general skepticism of spending a weekend in Columbus, Ohio has more to do with THE Ohio State fans than any real or percieved knowledge of their beer scene.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3258 on: August 15, 2013, 11:13:29 am »
james ford was born with a silver beer tap in his mouth.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3259 on: August 15, 2013, 11:16:05 am »
alright... trip to worcester, MA this weekend for a bachelor party on friday night.  and my new favorite brewery, tree house, has their stellar IPA on draft for growler hours. who's excited? this guy.

lemme know if you need to borrow a growler so you can bring some back ;D

plan is to fill two 750mls (there is a limit)... and hopefully i can stash one away for some time.  what's a good approach for storing growlers?  unopened, should be good for a while, right?

imbecile

« Reply #3260 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:00 am »
alright... trip to worcester, MA this weekend for a bachelor party on friday night.  and my new favorite brewery, tree house, has their stellar IPA on draft for growler hours. who's excited? this guy.

plan is to fill two 750mls (there is a limit)... and hopefully i can stash one away for some time.  what's a good approach for storing growlers?  unopened, should be good for a while, right?

With a decent fill and capped on the foam, which pretty much everyone does, I've always been told they'll last unopened ~10 days in the fridge.

Never had one last that long, so I can't really say though.

atomicfront

« Reply #3261 on: August 15, 2013, 11:22:51 am »

With a decent fill and capped on the foam, which pretty much everyone does, I've always been told they'll last unopened ~10 days in the fridge.

Never had one last that long, so I can't really say though.

I opened one after a month and it was still pretty good. 

James Ford

« Reply #3262 on: August 15, 2013, 11:27:16 am »
Eh, thanks.

We make the drive to the in-laws once a year in Indiana, so always look for interesting stops along the way. Columbus is usually our layover if we divide the drive into two days. Also have some good picks for the Cleveland area.

good lord, you're a wealth of information.  I'd been googling for an hour and hadn't found anything as good as what you posted in a few minutes.  As a lover of hops, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for this.  Thanks.

Also, my general skepticism of spending a weekend in Columbus, Ohio has more to do with THE Ohio State fans than any real or percieved knowledge of their beer scene.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3263 on: August 15, 2013, 11:27:53 am »

well, if it's an IPA you won't want to stash it for too long anyways... drink that stuff fresh.

as for longevity/storage of a growler, it depends on how they fill it.  if they have a counter-pressure filler (flushes the container with CO2 then fills without letting air in), the beer will last for a while, maybe 4 to 6 weeks.  but if it's the more common approach of pouring the beer out of a regular tap, the beer is getting oxidized as it's going in... not good.  i wouldn't wait more than a week.  a big, dark beer like an RIS could probably stand 2 or 3 weeks, since some oxidation contributes to the style.  definitely keep it in the fridge.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3264 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:48 am »
I asked this question last week at Hill Farmstead and was told:

"We recommend you drink it within a week."

The of course were referring to their IPA's.

We'll be drinking our third and last HF growler on the eight day perhaps stretching into the ninth (though I've always found it better to drink it all in one day), tomorrow.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3265 on: August 15, 2013, 11:40:14 am »
looks like i'll be enjoying julius over the next week, and not any longer.  thanks.

Yada

« Reply #3266 on: August 15, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »
You should drink a growler basically immediately IMO.

atomicfront

« Reply #3267 on: August 15, 2013, 12:59:49 pm »

Mine that was a month old was fully cabonated.  It still will taste better than bottled beer than has been sitting on a shelf at warehouse and then a liquor store for a year. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #3268 on: August 15, 2013, 01:33:46 pm »

fine i'll drink it all saturday.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3269 on: August 15, 2013, 01:36:17 pm »
growlers should be drunk same day after opening, well duh, walkonby . . . but i have been told that they should be opened and drunk within 2-5 days after they have been sealed.  i dont why, but i believed a big hunk of a bearish, shirtless man as he tells me about growlers.