Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901403 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2520 on: April 10, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »
The streams are there to be watched, but the quality varies. 

I haven't really ventured into this netherworld.  Are they at all watchable?  I actually like listening on radio and following on MLB At Bat.
(o|o)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2521 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:41 pm »
The streams are there to be watched, but the quality varies. 

I haven't really ventured into this netherworld.  Are they at all watchable?  I actually like listening on radio and following on MLB At Bat.
Yeah, on a laptop sized screen they are fine in a pinch.  I've only ever watched hockey games in this way, and not too many at that.  My hope was that it would be good enough to hdmi out from my laptop to big screen, but don't think that would have been so great.

Check out this forum...a sticky for each sport that has links to streams for all games played that day.  Here is a link to all MLB streams today...

http://forum.wiziwig.eu/threads/72143-Streaming-MLB-Today-Tuesday-10-April

vansmack

« Reply #2522 on: April 11, 2012, 12:56:00 pm »
I actually like listening on radio and following on MLB At Bat.

This.  And since I don't live in a home market, I've truly enjoyed this thus far.

Typically, an East Coast night game for me will be started at my desk watching MLB.TV on my computer, switch to MLB at Bat for the radio broadcast for my drive home, and then finish it on the big screen at home watching MLB app on Xbox 360.  It really has worked out nicely.  I also grabbed a $50 Roku for MLB in the bedroom for West Coast night games.

Because I'm insane, here's what I did to get Angels games that are only broadcast in the LA market on Saturday afternoons (Fox Blackout).  This may also work for you getting local sports.  I switched from Slingbox to a Vulkano, but I gave my old slingbox to my brother in law who lives in Orange County.  He uses it watch soccer during the week at work and when he travels, but I get priority on Saturday afternoons when the Angels aren't on in the Bay Area and I use it to watch Fox Sports Plus, which isn't available on the thorn in my side that is Comcast Bay Area.  He has it hooked up to a TV in the spare bedroom that is rarely used so it's rarely interrupting anything.

For the rare occasion that you want/need local TV programming, find a friend and work out this arrangement.  This will give you live TV and whatever is recorded on his DVR.  You guys share time shifting television.  Win-Win.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2523 on: April 11, 2012, 01:40:14 pm »
I'm assuming there are OTA programs that I can't stream easily.

This was the whole topic of discussion one night at the bar.  Are there?  Make a list of what you watch in a given week and see.  There was only one show on my list that I couldn't stream.
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2524 on: April 11, 2012, 03:26:57 pm »
I actually like listening on radio and following on MLB At Bat.

This.  And since I don't live in a home market, I've truly enjoyed this thus far.

Typically, an East Coast night game for me will be started at my desk watching MLB.TV on my computer, switch to MLB at Bat for the radio broadcast for my drive home, and then finish it on the big screen at home watching MLB app on Xbox 360.  It really has worked out nicely.  I also grabbed a $50 Roku for MLB in the bedroom for West Coast night games.

Because I'm insane, here's what I did to get Angels games that are only broadcast in the LA market on Saturday afternoons (Fox Blackout).  This may also work for you getting local sports.  I switched from Slingbox to a Vulkano, but I gave my old slingbox to my brother in law who lives in Orange County.  He uses it watch soccer during the week at work and when he travels, but I get priority on Saturday afternoons when the Angels aren't on in the Bay Area and I use it to watch Fox Sports Plus, which isn't available on the thorn in my side that is Comcast Bay Area.  He has it hooked up to a TV in the spare bedroom that is rarely used so it's rarely interrupting anything.

For the rare occasion that you want/need local TV programming, find a friend and work out this arrangement.  This will give you live TV and whatever is recorded on his DVR.  You guys share time shifting television.  Win-Win.

I'm listening to the Nats game on radio right now in the office and following on MLB At Bat, it's great - only issue is that I can't figure out how to see strike zone pitch charts from previous batters, so if I hear a "man that was close" call on the radio and it's already on the next batter on At Bat I can't see how close it really was.  Also, the radio streaming from At Bat is 5-10 seconds behind the At Bat animations, which can be frustrating.

So to go the slingbox route for in-market Nats games - my friend would have to tune his television to MASN 162 times each year?  seems like a pretty onerous request, even with dual tuners.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #2525 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:55 pm »
So to go the slingbox route for in-market Nats games - my friend would have to tune his television to MASN 162 times each year?  seems like a pretty onerous request, even with dual tuners.

Well, if it were me, I'd be watching or recording anyway.

But no.  He just needs to tune a tuner to MASN.  It doesn't necessarily need to be hooked up to a TV.

Additional non-DVR tuner per month: $5
Additional DVR per month: $15
Your monthly cable bill just to watch MASN: $90

Give your buddy $100 a year and ask him to order a non-DVR tuner ($200 if you want a DVR), hook it up with the Slingbox and enjoy.  If you want to watch something other than MASN, you can change the channel with the Slingplayer or app.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2526 on: April 11, 2012, 05:55:58 pm »
vansmack's brain . . . is hot.

vansmack

« Reply #2527 on: April 12, 2012, 03:05:00 pm »
@YEASTIEBOYSPUNK  Congrats to Amy Winehouse = 8 months 20 days sober!
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2528 on: May 17, 2012, 03:08:27 pm »
30 Years Ago Last Week:

Duran Duran's "Rio" was released.

I'm old.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2529 on: May 17, 2012, 03:13:21 pm »
god i love duran duran.  worshipped them growing up.  worshipped.  like a little girl.  i would get all dreamy eyed at simon.  the chauffeur is their best song of all time.  i once paid $300 to see them at warner.  had third row and it was worth it.  i would let the entire band bang me in a minute, if i was single.

i'm gay.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2530 on: May 17, 2012, 08:13:54 pm »
sorry.

vansmack

« Reply #2531 on: May 23, 2012, 06:04:55 pm »
I've been Moogling all day....

Soft Cell: Q, Q, 3, 3, 6, 6, 3, R

Daft Punk: I, U, I, 0, T, R, T, U, 3, W, 3, R, Q

The Cars:

T, 5, Q, W  3x

T, Y, 5
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2532 on: June 27, 2012, 01:54:32 pm »
I'm not dropping $299 on this, but could make for the greatest boardie gathering EVAH.

Google Nexus Q lets Android owners pull media from the cloud

Video
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 01:57:07 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2533 on: July 24, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »
If anybody finds that Minka Kelly video before I do, drop me a PM.

I haven't been this excited for a movie premiere since the last Star Wars!
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2534 on: July 24, 2012, 04:46:24 pm »
be careful what you ask for...

Minka Kelly sex tape: pictures suggest she's underage on video
http://www.examiner.com/article/minka-kelly-sex-tape-pictures-suggest-she-s-underage-on-video
<sig>