Author Topic: Virgin Freefest 2012  (Read 121535 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Virgin Freefest 2012
« Reply #360 on: October 02, 2012, 02:33:52 pm »
Other than the year Blink-182 headlined the pavilion , it's been easy to come and go from there.  They only clear out the GA pit between acts.
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #361 on: October 02, 2012, 02:35:41 pm »
I think that's called "noodling", at least for the former.

maybe things have changed and now he just shreds but listening to Blunderbuss there is hardly any shredding.. the songs are very compact.. probably averaging about 3 minutes in length!

you want shredding go see Trey Anastasio or Warren Haynes...

yes it is a fine line....

Vas Deferens

« Reply #362 on: October 02, 2012, 02:36:17 pm »
was hard to get back in during Black Keys last year as well...
(_|_)

mekmad

« Reply #363 on: October 02, 2012, 02:39:26 pm »
Do you get some sort of wristband to get in the pavilion when you get there early?  If I show up at 5:30 I'd be stuck on the lawn the rest of the night?  Thx!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #364 on: October 02, 2012, 02:40:01 pm »
i think 2:00 is a perfect time for the meetup.  so come on 'round the 932 at 2 PM for a chance to put a name and a voice to the forum handles.

I think you're making short shrift of the number of Portugal the Man and Trampled By Turtles fans we have on this board.

Look like our usual 2-3 time slot would be a good time to hang in 932.

Anyone seen a time for early entry?

i like TbT, and having them play in the background while hanging with folks at the 932 seems like a perfect way to enjoy them ;D
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #365 on: October 02, 2012, 02:41:15 pm »
Do you get some sort of wristband to get in the pavilion when you get there early?  If I show up at 5:30 I'd be stuck on the lawn the rest of the night?  Thx!

nope, no wristband.  first come first served.  if you get up from your seat you are liable to lose it.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #366 on: October 02, 2012, 02:43:44 pm »
Says on the Merriweather site that gates open 90 minutes prior to showtime

Link?

Last year it was suppose to be 10:30pm which was pushed back and then they pushed back gates regular admission entry to right before showtime.

http://www.merriweathermusic.com/faq/
‼‼?‼‼

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #367 on: October 02, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »

Link?

Last year it was suppose to be 10:30pm which was pushed back and then they pushed back gates regular admission entry to right before showtime.

Gotcha, I was trying to find something on the festival website.  Let me ask eddie in the FAQ...
T.Rex

killsaly

« Reply #368 on: October 02, 2012, 02:48:22 pm »
Who are your must see artists?

My day is looking like another Festival Stage day (except for JW).

the Dismemberment Plan
Santigold
Nas
M83
Jack White

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #369 on: October 02, 2012, 02:55:34 pm »

Link?

Gotcha, I was trying to find something on the festival website.  Let me ask eddie in the FAQ...
http://virginmobilelive.com/freefest/info

Says 11 here. It could be that the gates close at 10pm seeing as how Jack White and Skrillex go past 10pm...
‼‼?‼‼

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #370 on: October 02, 2012, 03:40:09 pm »
I care, how else do we schedule the most important part of FreeFest which is the 9:30 forum meetup at 932?

That and M83 are the only real reasons that I'm sorry that I have to miss the festival. Will be working.

Why don't you all set up a few sub-times so that you get a few other chances to meet up? That and it allows for those who don't want to miss the 2-3PM shows to get a chance to mingle with 'the elite'.  :D

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #371 on: October 02, 2012, 04:53:08 pm »
Suggesting other meet-up times is fine with me, other than wanting to see D-Plan and Ben Folds Five and avoiding the wubwubwub sounds, I'll be wandering between stages.  Would even consider meeting up during the early entrance time period.
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #372 on: October 04, 2012, 09:37:25 am »
My wife got all middle agey on me and didn't want to go Saturday. But my five year old started insisting that she "much rather go to a music festival than sit at home and do nothing." And of course my wife buckled.

God, I love my kid. Now we'll see how she actually endures five hours of live music. Maybe I won't love her so much once she starts complaining of boredom.

eros

« Reply #373 on: October 04, 2012, 10:16:06 am »
Good luck.  I took my oldest (7 at the time) to his first real rock show (U2 - insert snarky comments here) last summer.  In the beginning it was great seeing the look of awe and excitement on his face.  About halfway through he was finished though (not to mention I was getting tired of constantly picking him up so he could see).

This was of course a nighttime show, so YMMV.  At least it will be easy to pick you out of the crowd there.

Oh, and you won't be able to bring her into the 932 (I think?)
ʎɐʍou

James Ford

« Reply #374 on: October 04, 2012, 10:28:12 am »
Thanks.

We've actually taken her to numerous shows, with varying degrees of success. I think her first show was Old 97's at Baltimore Artscape when she was a baby. She's been to two Seattle Bumbershoot Festivals, three Wolftrap shows (two Wilco, one David Byrne), and several outdoor things with local acts. I think the key to success is having other things for her to do (she loves to draw/sketch, food and drink are always a great diversion, sitting on the lawn is always a plus), and not being in the same place for too long. We'll shoot for Ben Folds, ZZ Top, and M83, with a dinner/roaming break during Alabama Shakes. So we'll be done by 8:50. Hopefully, that won't be too much.

I'll have to remember to ply her mom with lots of overpriced beer. Even if we can't be in the 932. Hope there are some decent options.

Good luck.  I took my oldest (7 at the time) to his first real rock show (U2 - insert snarky comments here) last summer.  In the beginning it was great seeing the look of awe and excitement on his face.  About halfway through he was finished though (not to mention I was getting tired of constantly picking him up so he could see).

This was of course a nighttime show, so YMMV.  At least it will be easy to pick you out of the crowd there.

Oh, and you won't be able to bring her into the 932 (I think?)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 10:29:43 am by James Ford »