Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 400597 times)

Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #3240 on: August 20, 2021, 01:27:18 pm »
I think they should make healthy lifestyle choices too, but in your 80s no matter what healthy choices you make...aren't you still very high risk
d
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3241 on: August 20, 2021, 01:28:10 pm »
Am I crazy or are liberals now saying and rallying around idea we need to learn to live with covid that were outraged when Trump and his crowd were saying this?

Is this cause in the near future more people may have died under Biden than Trump?
It's mathematically inevitable this will be true, but biden will get dinged for those who died after jan 20th, when infact they likely got infected dec/jan

But don't we all need to get to the point where we need to live with covid and the risks.  Can we really social distance and mask forever?
I wish this would impact people to get healthy as the overwhelming majority of fatalities were due to someone being in poor health to begin with  (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding)
Now that's a little different for old people as that's not really an option

Why would it be more difficult for old people to make healthy choices than it would be for people younger than old people to?
You cannot be serious. A 90 year old cannot choose to just randomly be 42 years old instead.
LVMH

« Reply #3242 on: August 20, 2021, 01:32:38 pm »
A 90 year old cannot choose to just randomly be 42 years old instead.
How about a 50 year old being 18 instead...is that an option?
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #3243 on: August 20, 2021, 01:36:37 pm »
Am I crazy or are liberals now saying and rallying around idea we need to learn to live with covid that were outraged when Trump and his crowd were saying this?

Is this cause in the near future more people may have died under Biden than Trump?
It's mathematically inevitable this will be true, but biden will get dinged for those who died after jan 20th, when infact they likely got infected dec/jan

But don't we all need to get to the point where we need to live with covid and the risks.  Can we really social distance and mask forever?
I wish this would impact people to get healthy as the overwhelming majority of fatalities were due to someone being in poor health to begin with  (correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding)
Now that's a little different for old people as that's not really an option

Why would it be more difficult for old people to make healthy choices than it would be for people younger than old people to?
You cannot be serious. A 90 year old cannot choose to just randomly be 42 years old instead.

I'm not comparing 90 year olds to 42 year old. I'm comparing 70 year olds to 70 year olds. You can make better lifestyle choices no matter what your age is.

If you're 90 and still alive, you've probably already made some good choices, or have good genes.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3244 on: August 20, 2021, 02:32:28 pm »

unfortunately you're making a false equivalency.

trump & co. were saying do nothing - no masks, no social distancing, no vaccine.  just ignore it and it'll go away.  your personal unrestricted freedom is more important than other people's lives.

some liberals are now saying that we need to learn to live with the virus because it isn't going away (thanks to those who believe in trump & co, see above) so let's adjust: masks and social distancing when appropriate/required, and vaccines for everyone so if/when you do get the virus it won't be dangerous (most of the time).  let's do what makes sense in order to not overwhelm hospitals.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #3245 on: August 20, 2021, 02:49:19 pm »
I just wonder if as a society we are accepting failure to deal with covid and beginning to rationalize things many would have opposed months ago.

Just on this thread there is talk about the dead not being healthy or young when all I am hearing is that more and more it’s younger and healthier folk being affected.

It’s all part of rationalization…we need to believe certain things to carry on I guess…

Of course there are bound to be covid cases but 150,000 a day seems likely too many as are 1000 deaths a day. Is that even sustainable?

It’s just a huge failure…. I mean is this really our best effort? We have the vaccines and are again leading the world in poor results….or is it that we realize we really just don’t care as a society and this is the best we are willing and able to do so whatever the outcome we might as well accept it and move on?

« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:53:02 pm by Starsky »

Starsky

« Reply #3246 on: August 20, 2021, 02:57:42 pm »
I don’t see much urgency. I guess as a country we are too divided to mount a serious effort. The response should be something like what we did in WWII.

We thought if a lot of Americans got vaccinated we could return to normalcy but it seems not so…

I certainly didn’t think 7 months into a Biden administration we would have nearly 250,000 more dead and be averaging 150,000 new cases per day with 1000 new dead.

This is a hugely disappointing result and it’s not surprising people are having to recalibrate expectations…
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:02:06 pm by Starsky »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3247 on: August 20, 2021, 03:00:51 pm »
😐 🎶

« Reply #3248 on: August 20, 2021, 03:04:17 pm »

there is talk about the dead not being healthy or young when all I am hearing is that more and more it’s younger and healthier folk being affected.
I may be wrong, but I still think this is the case and the young and healthy deaths are anecdotal in the grand scheme.
Old and unhealthy are at a VASTLY greater risk, but a large magnitude

There are actual risks and assumed risks, but this is like driving and flying. 
You are much more likely to die in an auto, but people are terrified of flying
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3249 on: August 20, 2021, 03:08:39 pm »
That is true but I don’t find comfort in that, do you?

If we are seeing more younger people and healthier people get really ill then maybe that trend will only continue and increase…

To use your analogy flying seems to be getting riskier relative to driving even if not as risky
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 03:10:47 pm by Starsky »

« Reply #3250 on: August 20, 2021, 03:17:30 pm »
I don't find any comfort in that...
I just think that deaths of the young and healthy are being over exaggerated vs the actual risk to those groups
slack

Starsky

« Reply #3251 on: August 20, 2021, 03:22:12 pm »
But surely we are not saying that because death isn’t as common it’s all good?

We don’t really know the long term effects …there is all kind of info floating around but the one thing we know is we don’t really know

Or are we saying younger people can chance covid cause risk of dying is not that much?

Again, am seeing people adopting the same rationales Trumptards did for months which we met with disdain.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3252 on: August 20, 2021, 03:55:57 pm »
Again, am seeing people adopting the same rationales Trumptards did for months which we met with disdain.

and again, i'll challenge you on that statement.

trumpsters said/say do nothing, it's all a government ploy to take away your freedoms.  the focus is on inaction.

this new acceptance of the reality that covid isn't going away, largely due to trumpsters, is resulting in action: mask mandates, vaccines, etc.

certain results are the same (Ex: re-opening schools), but look at a school in deep red texas vs. a school in maryland or washington.  rationals are not the same, actions are not the same.
<sig>

Starsky

« Reply #3253 on: August 20, 2021, 04:05:22 pm »
Ugh yeah if you’re saying young people don’t get it as bad so it’s a risk they can take

Or if you say look it’s not going away so we need to just suck it up and move on with our normal lives

Then yeah it is a similar rationale to the one Trumptards employ and employed and which many liberals argued against

If circumstances evolved in such a way that liberals came to the same conclusions doesn’t change the fact it’s the same… if Trumptards refusing to get the vaccines is the problem or not doesn’t change fact liberals ended up in the same place..

Sorry if that is uncomfortable

What we don’t hear other than “get the vaccine” or “let’s argue about masks” are any new ideas or solutions to reining in the problem… the approach is “it is what it is let’s try to go back to normal as much as possible and suck up the hit”

Starsky

« Reply #3254 on: August 20, 2021, 04:09:36 pm »
Basically 7 months into Biden administration it’s time and it’s fair to take a look at how things have been going….

I think the answer is clear that they have gone poorly….we are at a worst point than expected… and just blaming Trumptards isn’t going to cut it

And I don’t see any new ideas or approaches which isn’t necessarily all Biden’s fault but he is the president.