Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3243943 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #6750 on: April 15, 2016, 05:24:24 pm »
was on L at 19th

barmywines.com?  i believe they are the same people who run 1 West Dupont Circle...
<sig>

« Reply #6751 on: April 18, 2016, 02:32:42 pm »
was on L at 19th

barmywines.com?  i believe they are the same people who run 1 West Dupont Circle...
rhymes with swarmy

I do think it's great that Aslin tells you what's coming up
I thought the Stellar Parralax was great
the locals told me to get there when Mind the Hop taps...

"it's ready when it's ready"

Such a small operation there. just a bunch of 3 BBL fermenters (7)
they have to limit what people purchase (?!)

Jez New District has a 100 BBL capacity...and no one is talking about or liking their beers

I got to imagine they have to be thinking they should be doing a much bigger production

--edit that photo was from 3/30...so not sure what's coming up
They did dunley place this weekend
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 02:38:03 pm by SideBurner |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| 🚀 »
slack

Yada

« Reply #6752 on: April 18, 2016, 02:37:17 pm »
was on L at 19th

rhymes with swarmy

I do think it's great that Aslin tells you what's coming up
I thought the Stellar Parralax was great
the locals told me to get there when Mind the Hop taps...

"it's ready when it's ready"

Such a small operation there. just a bunch of 3 BBL fermenters (7)
they have to limit what people purchase (?!)

Jez New District has a 100 BBL capacity...and no one is talking about or liking their beers

I got to imagine they have to be thinking they should be doing a much bigger production

I drank a less than 48 hour poured crowler of Aslin brew recently and it tasted pretty crappy... First strike against Aslin!

In other news, drank plenty of Hops Hands by Tired Hands this weekend and that was quite delicious. Also, tried George (a hill farmstead brew I'd never heard of), it was just ok.

Space Freely

« Reply #6753 on: April 18, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »
Every ipa I've had from Aslin ranked (not that my one opinion really matters that much, and the've all been very good or better):

1. Orange Starfish
2. Bringing Sexy Back
3. Mind the Hops
4. Master of Karate
5. Small Town in Ontario
6. Neutrino (only had first undercarbonated batch)

Have only had them on draft at brewery, or out of growler the next day.

« Reply #6754 on: April 18, 2016, 02:41:47 pm »
I drank a less than 48 hour poured crowler of Aslin brew recently and it tasted pretty crappy... First strike against Aslin!

In other news, drank plenty of Hops Hands by Tired Hands this weekend and that was quite delicious. Also, tried George (a hill farmstead brew I'd never heard of), it was just ok.
curious...which one?

also, I know you base all your drinking decisions based on what the Bro's say
but you must have forgot to read their Hop Hands review:

2.74/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not feeling it with this brew, extremely cloudy and a mess to say the least. Staff at the pub should not be pouring it. Milkshake beers are not a trend or acceptable with traditional or even modern styles... No excuses. Carbonation seemed off, a muddled mess.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #6755 on: April 18, 2016, 02:43:33 pm »
Had one each of these at P Street Whole Foods over the weekend, both were excellent

Clown Shoes Luchador En Fuego

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
Our third anniversary beer up-sizes Chocolate Sombrero, using extra ancho chile and adding chipotle pepper. We aged the brew 100% in Wild Turkey and Heaven Hill bourbon barrels. May it leap onto your palate majestically, like a luchador who flies into the ring from atop the highest rope.

RAR Habanero Nectar IPA

Space Freely

« Reply #6756 on: April 18, 2016, 02:45:09 pm »
Have a 32 oz growler of this to work on next weekend. Sampled and it was excellent.

Lickinghole Creek Supreme Leader

COMMERCIAL DESCRIPTION
(Bourbon Barrel Version of Heir Apparent) 13.5% ABV, 60 IBU Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout spiced with cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, cayenne, New Mexican Ancho Chile and serrano peppers. The Supreme Leader Serves the People!

Yada

« Reply #6757 on: April 18, 2016, 02:50:17 pm »

curious...which one?

also, I know you base all your drinking decisions based on what the Bro's say
but you must have forgot to read their Hop Hands review:

2.74/5  rDev -33.7%
look: 1 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Not feeling it with this brew, extremely cloudy and a mess to say the least. Staff at the pub should not be pouring it. Milkshake beers are not a trend or acceptable with traditional or even modern styles... No excuses. Carbonation seemed off, a muddled mess.

I think you're getting me confused with our friend space, I couldn't give a shit about BA ratings or any ratings for that matter. Like our other friend walky said, if it tastes good, I like it.

The beer that didn't hold up in the crowler was Stellar Parralax.

Bagley

« Reply #6758 on: April 18, 2016, 02:52:56 pm »
Headed to Aslin Thursday afternoon, first time

Hey Yada-

How's the Kirsch Gose this year?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6759 on: April 18, 2016, 02:53:13 pm »

it's not the size of your fermenter, but how you use it ;D

seriously tho, there is no inherent reason why a big fermenter would produce better, or worse, beer than a smaller one.  all comes down to the brewers, their ingredients and their processes.

i would be most interested in talking to these guys, but i suspect that availability of hops is a major impediment to growth.  top-shelf hops like citra, amarillo, simcoe and mosaic are simply not available to new brewers, at least not at reasonable prices - all the big guys have locked up contracts for those, for the next several years.  small breweries can sometimes do "spot buys" for higher prices (i.e. what happens to pop up, when i pops up) but you can't plan an expansion around that.  bigger production = need steady clients (restaurant chains, grocery stores, etc) = expectation of steady inventory of beer, AKA full-time availability.  lack of a predictable hop supply undermines all that.  and making modern/popular/west coast/etc IPAs without those hops isn't easy.

on the flip side, a small brewery like Aslin can stay nimble and do one-off batches as they manage to get interesting hops.  as long as you're ok with a variable lineup, small breweries rock.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #6760 on: April 18, 2016, 02:53:39 pm »
Headed to Aslin Thursday afternoon, first time

Hey Yada-

How's the Kirsch Gose this year?

Delicious! I will most likely need to restock here pretty, pretty quickly. And if they have Dunley Place while you're out there, that's probably my favorite I've had of theirs (also, my first I tried). Master of Karate was quite amazing as well.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6761 on: April 18, 2016, 02:55:04 pm »
i'm not into chili/habanero/spicy hot beers.  stone's xocovesa (sp?) is about my upper limit for spiciness.  i like spicy food, but the flavor just doesn't work in beer, for me.

clearly Space likes his beers caliente... anyone else?
<sig>

« Reply #6762 on: April 18, 2016, 03:02:16 pm »
I think you're getting me confused with our friend space, I couldn't give a shit about BA ratings or any ratings for that matter. Like our other friend walky said, if it tastes good, I like it.

I was joking...
but that's a bummer on the SP
tasted awesome at the bar, did you sample on there?
slack

Yada

« Reply #6763 on: April 18, 2016, 03:06:08 pm »
i'm not into chili/habanero/spicy hot beers.  stone's xocovesa (sp?) is about my upper limit for spiciness.  i like spicy food, but the flavor just doesn't work in beer, for me.

clearly Space likes his beers caliente... anyone else?

I don't mind a lil' heat in Stouts (think Abraxas, Mexican Cake, etc.) but in IPAs I'm not too much of a fan. I had that RAR habanero as well and thought it was decent (but it was free!). I wouldn't buy it.

I was joking...
but that's a bummer on the SP
tasted awesome at the bar, did you sample on there?

I'm assuming it was a malfunction of the crowler system/can. I didn't try it at the brewery.

Relaxer

« Reply #6764 on: April 18, 2016, 03:23:09 pm »

Any opinions on this? Picked up a 6er last week and really liked it, so I picked up another this weekend. And wouldn't you know it, I really liked it again
oword