Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241413 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3105 on: July 18, 2013, 07:10:54 pm »
Local breweries have a long way to go before they can match the quality of offerings from California, Vermont, Michigan, or Oregon.

atomicfront

« Reply #3106 on: July 18, 2013, 07:16:16 pm »
Local breweries have a long way to go before they can match the quality of offerings from California, Vermont, Michigan, or Oregon.

Actually I like Union Craft Beer better than the stuff from those states.  Anyway it is about supporting local business.  And getting things fresh.  Cutting down on polution.  Buying stuff from Michigan isn't going to help Baltimore be a better brewing location.  And it isn't going to help the local economy. 

slappy

« Reply #3107 on: July 18, 2013, 11:00:37 pm »
Fair enough. Do you think good or bad thoughts when "wheat" and "imperial stout" are used in the same sentence...was what i was getting at.

How do you guys feel about Stone Farkin Wheaton? A 13% imperial wheat stout made in collaboration with actor/homebrewer Wil Wheaton?

I don't feel anything from a beer until I taste it.

I still don't think and wait to taste it.
But it's not that uncommon to have wheat in an imperial stout.
Boulevard has it in their imperial stout as does Fifty Fifty where I'm guessing they found the inspiration.
It's well established in the Nordic region.  I've had DarkForce by Haand Bryggeriet and Raasted Imperial Wheat Stout by Raasted Bryghus here in the States both were good for bottled imports.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3108 on: July 22, 2013, 09:22:18 am »
i had a couple decent brews on my travels this weekend.  beers consumed at high dive in brooklyn, armsby abbey in worcester, and the dive bar in worcester. 

treehouse sap (brimfield, CT/MA) - IPA. get this beer if you ever see it.  also, i hear the brewery is an actual treehouse? i'm intrigued.
allagash bat - another excellent offering from allagash. beer is aged in tequila barrels, and the sour/tequila mix that comes out is really incredible. my favorite summer beer this year.
jack's abbey 2nd anniversary lager - a DIPL, it's pretty good.
against the grain RIS - i don't have the right name for this beer, i believe it was To Øl An Ale Pleasure. the tap handle was wrong, but holy shit was this good.
founders double trouble - a classic.
great divide oaked yeti - also a classic.

also had a few cisco offerings, and brought home a few bottles i haven't seen.  and my favorite beer of the weekend may have been my own IPA, which I got to taste Sunday night.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 09:25:00 am by stevewizzle »

Yada

« Reply #3109 on: July 22, 2013, 11:49:37 am »
I'm not even sure where to begin in my beer travels of the weekend, but it was the best beer adventure I've ever been on and I'm willing to say that Burlington is the best beer town in the country (probably world). 

Highlights:

Lawson's Fayston Maple Imperial Stout
Lawson's Double Sunshine IPA 
Lawson's Chinooker'd IPA
Hill Farmstead Society & Solitude #5
Hill Farmstead Edward
Heady Topper (by the can and on cask)

It's a shame atomicfront will never get to try any of these great beers.

James Ford

« Reply #3110 on: July 22, 2013, 12:23:51 pm »
Nice.

By Burlington, do you mean Burlington and Waterbury?

What eateries did you hit?

Maybe you could organize a trade with Atomic. Heady Topper for Andescher.

I'm not even sure where to begin in my beer travels of the weekend, but it was the best beer adventure I've ever been on and I'm willing to say that Burlington is the best beer town in the country (probably world). 

Highlights:

Lawson's Chinooker'd IPA
Hill Farmstead Edward

James Ford

« Reply #3111 on: July 22, 2013, 12:31:25 pm »
I went to a party Saturday where the beer choices were:

Sam Adams Summer Ale
Yuengling
Corona Light (or regular Corona...is there a difference?)
Leinenkugel Summer Shandy

I had the Sam. Was fine for washing down the spicey food they were serving, but I couldn't finish the second bottle once I was out of food.

brennser

« Reply #3112 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:53 pm »
Based on that list im guessing he was at the VT brewers festival

Nice.

Highlights:

Lawson's Chinooker'd IPA
Hill Farmstead Edward

Yada

« Reply #3113 on: July 22, 2013, 01:41:28 pm »
Nice.

Other than a quick breakfast at Park Row Café and a stop at the Alchemist, I didn't spend any time in Waterbury, so unfortunately I missed out on Prohibition Pig and some of the other offerings of Waterbury.

A few notable dining spots we hit; Farmhouse Tap and Grill (We actually went there twice, once to just drink and once to eat. Probably the best beer list I've seen but god awful service from a bunch of burnt out hippies), American Flat Bread (Zero Gravity beer which was pretty mediocre IMO, but great pie), El Corjito, Trattoria Delia (great Italian and highly recommended for a nicer meal).

Tap list from Farmhouse which basically changes daily.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3114 on: July 22, 2013, 02:00:47 pm »
Anybody had Founders Rubaeus yet?

had my first one last night.  you know that show called true blood where they drink this stuff called true blood?  that is what it tastes like.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3115 on: July 22, 2013, 02:19:22 pm »

that's an incredible draft list!

James Ford

« Reply #3116 on: July 22, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »
What are you guys talking about? There is nothing from the best beer country in the world on that list. :D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3117 on: July 22, 2013, 03:01:50 pm »

i had never heard of Le Trou du Diable before this image, but after checking out their website (french only) and reading a few reviews (THE HORROR), i would be very interested in trying their beers. 

has anyone here tasted any devil's hole? (snicker..)
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #3118 on: July 22, 2013, 03:21:59 pm »
My Quebec beer experience has been limited to Dieu du Ciel, but Le Trou du Diable is on my list of things to look for when I'm there in a couple of weeks. Though I'll be saving car space for a drive through Vermont.

i had never heard of Le Trou du Diable before this image, but after checking out their website (french only) and reading a few reviews (THE HORROR), i would be very interested in trying their beers. 

has anyone here tasted any devil's hole? (snicker..)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3119 on: July 22, 2013, 03:42:46 pm »
My Quebec beer experience has been limited to Dieu du Ciel

LIAR.

unibroue ;D

when i was last there, over Christmas, i was blown away with how many microbrews were available in depaneurs (convenience stores).  99% were brands i had never heard of.  i would expect many of them to be merely average, like most new craft breweries, but the choice was impressive.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:44:49 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>