Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241432 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5385 on: April 09, 2015, 11:35:03 pm »
that list does a couple of things really well:
(...)
-ranks a wonderful and popular IPA very low, showing that the system of ranking IPAs is inherently flawed

one list completely invalidates rankings based on thousands of votes? 
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5386 on: April 10, 2015, 12:50:51 am »
that list does a couple of things really well:
(...)
-ranks a wonderful and popular IPA very low, showing that the system of ranking IPAs is inherently flawed

one list completely invalidates rankings based on thousands of votes? 

i can see how you read it like that, but i'm saying the opposite. thousands of data points (i.e., untappd ratings, BA reviews) trumps some list that rates a beer style that is so heavily dependent on one crop and fades in flavor/aroma in an insane time frame.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:52:47 am by Carlos Spicyweiner »

Yada

« Reply #5387 on: April 21, 2015, 11:29:45 am »
Anyone crushing these guys yet?

So good.

Space Freely

« Reply #5388 on: April 21, 2015, 12:30:09 pm »

So good.

I hope to try that one. Westbrook Gose is the best American gose I've had so far.

« Reply #5389 on: April 21, 2015, 12:40:10 pm »
Going to Charleston in June and now plan to check out WestBrook's brewery as I love a good gose
slack

Yada

« Reply #5390 on: April 21, 2015, 12:57:12 pm »

So good.

I hope to try that one. Westbrook Gose is the best American gose I've had so far.

I unfortunately assumed these would be an easy find at any six pack shop but I've hopped into three and none of them had it in stock. I was drinking it on tap last night though and it was great.

Edit: Just found three four packs.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 03:58:00 pm by Yada »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5391 on: April 21, 2015, 01:45:19 pm »
i've been meaning to try the kirsch gose.  sounds pretty tasty.

i've got a ton of homebrew that is just coming online so it's tough to justify buying anything at the moment.
<sig>

« Reply #5392 on: April 21, 2015, 01:56:29 pm »
So I'm 7 batches in on the homebrewing of 1 gallon batches
By far my favorite was the Chocolate Maple Porter (OG 1.070 FG  1.025)

close second was the Warrior DIPA (OG 1.065 FG 1.000)

Just bottled a black barrel ale and added one of these to the fermenter
slack

Unsanity

« Reply #5393 on: April 21, 2015, 04:04:38 pm »
Galaxy Hut had that Kirsch Gose on tap last night. I enjoyed two goblets of it. Very nice.

shemptiness

« Reply #5394 on: April 21, 2015, 04:48:33 pm »
Picked up the Blood Orange Gose from Anderson Valley the other day.  Good stuff.  Was just down in SC recently - had the Westbrook IPA, but not the gose.  Besides that and the Kirsch what else should a gose novice be checking out?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5395 on: April 21, 2015, 04:55:12 pm »

fun hobby, innit? ;D

jeebus, nice attenuation... although i might have asked for a bit more body.  how was the hoppiness?  warrior makes for a great bittering hop, but everything i've read says that it's a sub-par flavor/aroma hop.
<sig>

« Reply #5396 on: April 21, 2015, 05:25:24 pm »

fun hobby, innit? ;D

jeebus, nice attenuation... although i might have asked for a bit more body.  how was the hoppiness?  warrior makes for a great bittering hop, but everything i've read says that it's a sub-par flavor/aroma hop.
I really liked the flavor of the finished product, I'm a little bias as I made it with my own bare hands
some of the other batches the body/bubbles have been way off and I've been using carbonation drops now and think that has helped

and it is fun, although little time consuming. 
Now that the weather is nice...those sunday mornings are usually dedicated to long bike rides

I think in the next few months I may go up to brewing 3 gallon batches.
I'm interested in using the spent grains to make some food next
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 05:27:45 pm by Sidehatch »
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5397 on: April 21, 2015, 08:30:24 pm »
Picked up the Blood Orange Gose from Anderson Valley the other day.  Good stuff.  Was just down in SC recently - had the Westbrook IPA, but not the gose.  Besides that and the Kirsch what else should a gose novice be checking out?

I think Westbrook only cans theirs from April or May-October or something like that. Probably why you missed it.

Anderson Valley also cans THe Kimmie, Yink and Holy Gose for the six months that it's not doing the Blood Orange.

Destihl cans a really good one (almost as good as Westbrook but not quite), but I don't think they ship here yet.

Off Color Troublesome is ok and can sometimes be found in VA and DC, but tastes more like a hefeweizen. Not very tart at all.

Union Craft just announced they're going to start canning theirs in May, but imo it's not in the same league as the others that have been mentioned.

One of the best I've had is Ritterguts, from Gemany. Though maybe I loved it because i had an overpriced serving on draft at Churchkey.

Rapp and Cigar City also make very good ones that are draft only if you're ever in the Tampa area.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5398 on: April 21, 2015, 10:08:22 pm »
what, did you go to beer college, or something?

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5399 on: April 22, 2015, 09:22:57 am »
had grapefruit sculpin for the first time.