Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241386 times)

Space Freely

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5430 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50:30 am »
Happy to see Sucks in 12oz bottles at most local shops now and even better, you do know this first batch is fresh.

Is that in the D, the M, or the V? Right in time for me, as for once our home IPA supply is just about shot.

Though I won't buy too much, as we're headed to Tampa next month, and the first checked bags for each person are free on Southwest. So that's about 300 pounds of Jai Alai.

Purchased in the M ($13.99 a sixer) and spotted in the D ($14.99) a sixer. One of the few times I've seen beer for less in MD!

Now available for $9.99 in VA.

« Reply #5431 on: May 14, 2015, 10:13:04 am »
^that's the price I've seen suck for in VA, sometimes $10.99
slack

Yada

« Reply #5432 on: May 14, 2015, 10:37:05 am »
Happy to see Sucks in 12oz bottles at most local shops now and even better, you do know this first batch is fresh.

Is that in the D, the M, or the V? Right in time for me, as for once our home IPA supply is just about shot.

Though I won't buy too much, as we're headed to Tampa next month, and the first checked bags for each person are free on Southwest. So that's about 300 pounds of Jai Alai.

Purchased in the M ($13.99 a sixer) and spotted in the D ($14.99) a sixer. One of the few times I've seen beer for less in MD!

Now available for $9.99 in VA.

Space droppin' the thrifty knowledge.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5433 on: May 14, 2015, 11:14:39 am »

Wow, I can remember getting it for $8.99 or $9.99 back in the day. Guess Tony has to pay for the new Chicago brewery somehow, since he didn't take government money like Stone did.

it's more like these DC and MD shops need to pay their rent and know this shit is gonna fly off the shelves.

lagunitas continues to give zero fucks about making money, apparently, with their couch trippin' tours and low prices.  at the very least, they have a very different idea than most how they are going to make their money.

Space Freely

« Reply #5434 on: May 14, 2015, 02:44:55 pm »
Has anybody had the Avery Raspberry Sour, and if so is it worth $18 a bottle? As in $2 more than a bottle of La Folie...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5435 on: May 14, 2015, 04:27:15 pm »
funny you should ask, i just picked up a bottle of Raspberry Sour for $15.99 here in DC.  i'll probably try it this weekend.  only one bottle left, i was tempted to grab both but couldn't justify it for the price.  BA reviews are very positive but people are stopping short of calling it amazing.  t'was good enough to get me to try it.  sounds like folks out west are paying $10, lots of comments along the lines of "hands-down best value in sours today."

also picked up a 4-pack of Kirsche Gose and a single of Weyeerbacher's Tarte Nouveau.  an all-sour beer run!

also, i've got 4 of my own sours coming online... i really shouldn't be buying commercial sours, but you just can't have enough pucker-beer on hand now can you?
<sig>

« Reply #5436 on: May 14, 2015, 05:12:20 pm »
also, i've got 4 of my own sours coming online... i really shouldn't be buying commercial sours, but you just can't have enough pucker-beer on hand now can you?

Nice...might have to ask you some tips on your Brettanomyces
slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5437 on: May 14, 2015, 08:22:34 pm »

i know it's a fuzzy area, but brettanomyces doesn't make sour beer. 

lactobacillus and pediococcus bacteria are the main culprits.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5438 on: May 14, 2015, 08:27:06 pm »
Aren't those dinosaurs? I didn't know, they could make beer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5439 on: May 14, 2015, 11:04:24 pm »

true indeed, but where there is sour beer there is almost always brett (always when using pedio, and fairly often with lacto).  so my interpretation of sidehatch's question was "if you know about sour beer, you probably know about brett".

i've been using brett for a few years.  ask away, happy to share my knowledge/opinions.
<sig>

« Reply #5440 on: May 15, 2015, 08:49:12 am »
^so yes, not quite at the stage to be home brewing a sour....but I would like to get there someday.
As I do love a good sour

Went to a Sour Tasting held by Greg Engert and couldn't stop going on about  brettanomyces
So yes, was trying to show off the big brain on brad

But as far as home brewing sours, I think the main ingredient is time and allowing your brew be exposed to the air.

Have you tried using some of the fancy $18 a bottle sours and adding them to your own sours
As my understanding is frequently sours are a blend of longer aged batches and younger ones
Mostly to keep the cost down

slack

stevewizzle

« Reply #5441 on: May 15, 2015, 11:19:55 am »

true indeed, but where there is sour beer there is almost always brett (always when using pedio, and fairly often with lacto).  so my interpretation of sidehatch's question was "if you know about sour beer, you probably know about brett".

i've been using brett for a few years.  ask away, happy to share my knowledge/opinions.

i just wanted to show off.   8)

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5442 on: May 15, 2015, 02:39:26 pm »
I haven't drank a beer or any other alcohol for three weeks now.  haven't smoked either.  I feel, good, and am saving some money too. 

jesus, wept.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #5443 on: May 15, 2015, 02:44:35 pm »
Wait i thought you were drunk and naked on, like, wednesday.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #5444 on: May 15, 2015, 03:16:27 pm »
oh, yeah.  damn, you, internet super sleuth.  I had two glasses of a wonderful petit verdot, and got so loopy that I didn't know what was going on.  but I had the worst hangover ever.