Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693612 times)

andyrichter

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #1725 on: November 04, 2009, 09:13:48 am »
Saw the White Rabbits with Local Natives and Glass Ghost tonight at the El Rey in LA. It was one of the 10 best shows I've seen this year. Each band was exciting, engaging, and brought some of the best pop music of the year to a really (rare) enthusiastic LA crowd.

Tuesday: Devo @ Music Box at the Fonda (performing Are We Not Men)
Wednesday: Pixies @ Palladium
Thursday: Broadcast / Atlas Sound @ Rhythm Room (Phoenix)
Friday: Destroyer @ Granada Theater (Dallas)
Sat/Sun: Fun Fun Fun Fest @ Waterloo Park (Austin)

How was Devo?  I'm curious as to what the rest of their setlist looks like since the Q: Are we not men record is maybe a half hour. 

nkotb

« Reply #1726 on: November 04, 2009, 09:50:52 am »
Well that was entirely underwhelming...

Yeah, if I'm awake tonight, I may check this out.  I don't really love the album, but I've got the night free.  No way they'll sell out the mainstage, right?

I'm inclined to check out Girls on Tuesday night. Given the (well-deserved) hype what are the chances of getting tickets at the door?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1727 on: November 04, 2009, 10:45:12 am »
All I could think during the Get Up Kids' set last night was "emo superchunk."
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1728 on: November 04, 2009, 10:47:42 am »
How were the Very Best?

I had to miss Real Estate :/  their jams are very cool....but hope they tour again as headliners this time. I'm sure pitchfork will give them Best New Music soon.

Mon: The Very Best
Tues: Real Estate
Wed: Wolfmother and/or Fuck Buttons
Thurs: Modeselektor
(_|_)

brennser

« Reply #1729 on: November 04, 2009, 11:25:14 am »
sounds like I didn;t miss much eh?

Yeah, if I'm awake tonight, I may check this out.  I don't really love the album, but I've got the night free.  No way they'll sell out the mainstage, right?

I'm inclined to check out Girls on Tuesday night. Given the (well-deserved) hype what are the chances of getting tickets at the door?

nkotb

« Reply #1730 on: November 04, 2009, 11:31:34 am »
Well, you did miss some snarky commentary between BookerT and me, but musically, not so much.

I did really enjoy Real Estate, though.  Find them pretty boring from the first song or so, but they won me over by the end of the set. 

sounds like I didn;t miss much eh?

azaghal1981

« Reply #1731 on: November 04, 2009, 11:34:47 am »
I've still yet to warm up to the Real Estate album.
احمد

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #1732 on: November 04, 2009, 12:10:42 pm »
Re: Wolfmother tonight ... opening act the newno2 features Dhani Harrison, son of George Harrison. For those of you going, please post opinions, impressions of young Mr. H's band and music following the show ! Thanks!

Giles

« Reply #1733 on: November 04, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
saw Fran and Andy (Travis) over at Jammin' Java last night - great semi-acoustic set!

Cali

« Reply #1734 on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:00 pm »
yay whoever is djing right now & thanx for playing duke spirit.

azaghal1981

« Reply #1735 on: November 05, 2009, 01:33:48 am »
Heartless Bastards and The Newno 2 were both very good.
احمد

Cali

« Reply #1736 on: November 05, 2009, 01:39:02 am »
enjoyed all 3 bands but it took me awhile to warm up to thenewno2. i need heartless bastards to do a headlining show

what's up with people trying to stand in front of you if you're sitting on the step right in front of the rail - like all of us sitting would really stay there during the entire show? i overheard this guy say you cant reserve the rail and then in the next breath say make room when my kids come....uh NO

azaghal1981

« Reply #1737 on: November 05, 2009, 01:43:01 am »
Douchery was in full effect tonight so something like that happening doesn't surprise me.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #1738 on: November 05, 2009, 08:11:26 am »
the new no.2 has great potential...they were quite good.

I want a 2 hour Heartless Bastards set......sigh.......they are probably my favorite opener of this year.

I want azagh to comment on wolfmother's set.   

Heartless Bastards and The Newno 2 were both very good.

(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #1739 on: November 05, 2009, 11:37:33 am »
How's the new Heartless Bastard band? I was bummed when the chick dumped the band after All This Time. Saw them right around then and thought they were a great unit. Really like the first albums, haven't spend enough time with the newer one.

Unrelated: has there been any discussion about the 11/20 show by The Numbers Band at the Velvet?
oword