Author Topic: On the Eve of the new Season...  (Read 1370138 times)

hutch

Re: On the Eve of the new Season...
« Reply #2355 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49:11 pm »
OK well if you wish to limit this thread to three people I guess I'll leave.

vansmack

« Reply #2356 on: August 11, 2009, 12:40:53 am »
So it turns out that Mexico wanted $3M for the broadcast rights and nobody would pay that.  According to my buddy at Setanta that's more than 3X what a US match usually costs.  That's why Telemundo picked it up for the Spanish language and there was no English speaking channel willing, hence all the trickery with Mun2.  I'm still watching Telemundo because anything short of a win will mean elimination for Mexico and I want to hear what they have to say about that.

In addtion, I was searching the guide for next week's champions league matches and it turns out that the FSN regional channels are listing the match in addition to FSC.  There's no HD symbol next to it yet, but I can't see why they would show it on those channels in addition to FSC if it wasn't going to be in HD.  Watch this space....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2357 on: August 11, 2009, 09:24:21 am »
why the heck is it on in the middle of the afternoon on a wednesday? how do they expect to get $3m for that
sorry i dont find carlos tevez as central to the worlds game as you
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2358 on: August 11, 2009, 03:28:41 pm »
why the heck is it on in the middle of the afternoon on a wednesday? how do they expect to get $3m for that

Mexico will shut down for that, so I guess will half of the southwestern US.  But I agree you...the Gold Cup ratings will not happen for this one.

And I also digress...the Chelsea v Hull City match (7:45AM Saturday morning) is not listed on FSC or Setanta, adding fuel to the speculation that ESPN2 will be picking up this timeslot and half the Monday Night matches.  I'm not posting this weekends schedule until the official announcement.   
27>34

hutch

« Reply #2359 on: August 12, 2009, 03:26:05 pm »
Friendly result

Argentina 3- Russia 2  in Moscow

Some horrible D by Russia..

Nice play by Aguero.. Messi out of lineup due to pulled muscle or somesuch..

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2360 on: August 12, 2009, 06:44:28 pm »
sorry i dont find carlos tevez as central to the worlds game as you

Who?

hutch

« Reply #2361 on: August 13, 2009, 02:33:22 pm »
US loses to Mexico 2-1.. very dissapointing..

I think the US should have played far more agressive after going up 1-0 early..

vansmack

« Reply #2362 on: August 13, 2009, 02:42:55 pm »
The same thing that cost the US against Brazil in the Confed Cup cost them against Mexico -   They don't understand the value of possession. 

As long as the other team holds the ball at a ratio of 2-1 to you, you won't be successful against the best squads in the world.  And Mexico is far from one of the best squads in the world.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2363 on: August 13, 2009, 02:54:02 pm »
and thats the thing really with the u.s.

physically we have a huge back line, and our fast guys are genuinely fast, but the possession passing and skill on the ball just arent there. thats why they have to play long so much and win free kicks
o/\o

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #2364 on: August 14, 2009, 07:14:09 am »
It's been a while since I've been able to suffer through a US game (MLS included) no offense intended, but the problem with the mentality over here is they play a very passive game and concentrate  only on trying to prevent the other team from scoring. Also if they do go a goal up they don't know how to go for the jugular.

Maybe it's changed now but that's why I gave up on DC United when I lived up there, neither team ever seemed to want to score, or even go after the ball.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2365 on: August 14, 2009, 08:29:42 am »
the u.s. isnt the prettiest national team to watch, but (no offense or anything) england national team matches arent the most beautiful thing either. especially not worth ppv, and i like english players a lot. i guess the national team is the national team if youre a footie fan

as far as mls goes, i watch maybe 3 matches a year. i have tickets to see golden balls here next weekend, though
o/\o

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2366 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:59 am »
Thought this might of interest to some of you....

Ash runs their own Fantasy Premiere League, info posted here

http://www.ash-official.com/details.aspx?categoryid=3n&id=f9001c35-91d7-4a3c-990e-e78a46af1a87
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #2367 on: August 14, 2009, 10:11:59 am »
Again reports that Man U is set to make a bid for Kun Aguero and had people at the Argentina-Russia game.. I think likely these reports might be fake though but can't be sure..THey are citing a newspaper called "Marca" from Spain I think....

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2009/08/14/um/m-01978431.htm

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2368 on: August 14, 2009, 11:06:56 am »
rumors flying that there is going to be a bunch of player movement tyneside, which to me says that ashley is staying  ::)
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2369 on: August 14, 2009, 12:45:18 pm »
rumors flying that there is going to be a bunch of player movement tyneside, which to me says that ashley is staying  ::)

You mean like Danny Simpson?
27>34