Author Topic: Marr and the healers  (Read 25532 times)

markie

Re: Marr and the healers
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2003, 06:13:00 pm »
the rickenbacker he gave to Noel was by accident. Noel was taking too long to tune his guitar so Jonny lent him a gibson. Noel liked it so much that jony didnt have the heart to ask for it back.<P>Jonny also bought the 12 sring rickenbacker that belonged to the byrds guitarist. Now that is a cool guitar.<P>

Fico

« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2003, 06:22:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by markie:<BR><B>the rickenbacker he gave to Noel was by accident. Noel was taking too long to tune his guitar so Jonny lent him a gibson. Noel liked it so much that jony didnt have the heart to ask for it back.<P>Jonny also bought the 12 sring rickenbacker that belonged to the byrds guitarist. Now that is a cool guitar.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>So for Markie and any other guitar buffs here's the lowdown:<P>For recording Marr gravitates towards a few time-tested favourites. 'Over the last two years, I've been experimenting with everything I've got and I've come back to the same old guitars - not because of nostalgia, simply 'cos they're fantastic.<BR>'My Gretsch 6120 is great, even people who own other ones say mine is the best they've ever played. I got it from Pete Townshend - and it's one that Noel isn't going to get. Another main recording guitar is my '59 Les Paul - just as you'd expect, an amazing guitar. I used that a lot on Strangeways... and The The's Dusk album. My other Les Paul is a mid-'80s one with a Bigsby retro-fitted; that's the one I used on How Soon Is Now?.<BR>Although Marr used a red Gibson ES335 throughout his time with The Smiths, his Gibson ES345 (left) is a more current favourite. 'I used it a lot on The The's Dusk, like the riff from Dogs Of Lust,' he notes. 'I've also been playing my black 355 a lot recently with Electronic' - the 355 can be seen in the videos for Forbidden City and For You. 'That's a really interesting guitar. It's got a very clean, almost David Crosby-type sound - hey, another really unfashionable influence! - and it doesn't fizz too much. I like using it for slide. Clean, but spooky - that's the vibe with that one.'<BR>These days Marr's Rickenbackers rarely see the light of day, but for the record he has two: a black '82 330 6-string (seen in the video for This Charming Man) and a mid-60s sunburst 360-12, his main Smiths recording Rickie, bought off Pete Townshend.<BR>Marr's main Strats are both '63s. 'One I keep constantly high strung in Nashville tuning, which is the top two strings the same and bottom four like a 12-string set with the low strings taken off,' he explains. 'It's a good tuning for coming up with new stuff 'cos you kind of feel like you're playing backwards. I used that on loads of Smiths stuff - You Just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby, Half A Person...<BR>'I've got two main Martin acoustics, a D28 and a D45. The D28 was always disappointing for recording until I started to put it in different tunings. That's often the case with guitars - they often don't happen in concert tuning - so I'd always recommend changing things around to see if they sound better.<BR>'Another guitar I really like is a Fender Bass VI baritone guitar, which is interesting, even though it's only really got one sound. I used that on Helpline Operator by The The.'<BR>By far the weirdest thing in Marr's collection, however, is his nine pickup Fender Strat. 'I got it really cheap,' he excuses himself, feebly. 'Not only are there nine pickups, but there's an on/off and in/out-of-phase switch for each pickup. I'm not making this up, 'cos Noel was witness to that dreadful event. Bizarre! But I just thought, if Kraftwerk played guitar, they'd play this! I used it on the rhythm outro of Electronic's Out Of My League (from Raise The Pressure). I figured it would give some really strange harmonics... and if you just replace the word 'strange' with 'shit', then I was right."<BR>For amps, Marr again relies on a few old favourites. 'In particular, there's my Fender Deluxe - very punchy and hot, but not too distorted. You can hear the natural sound of that really well on Feel Every Beat by Electronic. I also used a Fender Pro a lot - that was also on a lot of the early Smiths records, while my Blackface Twin was used from the Queen Is Dead onwards. you can hear the Pro really well on New Order's Regret - Bernard (Sumner) borrowed my Les Paul and Pro for that, so he owes me some money as well.<P>

markie

« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2003, 06:43:00 pm »
thanks Fico,<P>in addition:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.mlode.com/~813/marr.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.mlode.com/~813/marr.html[/url]

lily1

« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2003, 08:33:00 pm »
hey gang, lovely to see you all again and to formally meet kosmo and mankie (thanks for the ginger ale).<P>bit of a side note here-their publicist ended up in the same cab as me, since she was just headed over to rouge where they were all staying (fyi, more and more artists stay there or at topaz, except for the major stars that prefer the 4 seasons and the mayflower, should you feel the need to follow your favorite rockstar). she was very kind and chatty  and apologized several times over for johnny marr and the other band mates not coming out after the show. she mentioned that the tour manager was adament once they were off stage that they head home to bed.   apparently its been an exhausting few days and they had an early tran to ny this morning. they generally do come out for a short bit to meet the fans and sign, take pictures, etc, but not tonight. she's is based in la but is out with them for the tour. the band was very pleased with the turnout and the crowd, esp the crowd, and that there is some serious consideration to touring again in the not so distant future at perhaps a larger venue, preferably the 930. but regardless, they are coming back to dc.   yippee.<P>i'm glad i shoved the work monster in the closet and went to the show. it was great.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2003, 01:37:00 pm »
as good as marr and his healers were, i doubt i will being seeing them again anytime soon, unless they are playing with another band i want to see.<P>mellowdrome is deffo a artist worth watching out for.  he's from boston living in la these days.   i hear bits and pieces of plenty of other artists in his sound.... i.e. elliot smith, matt johnson.  he cites jeff buckley, manic street preachers, radiohead as influences.<P>he records with shareware software, but it certainly doesn't sound amatuer.   the dvd he was selling was amusing but nothing to get overly excited for.   good thing it was included in the package deal.<P>i would even recommend mellowdrome to those who like industrial music... it can get pretty intense towards the end of the disc.<P>
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2003, 01:41:00 pm »
the baltimore band i was talking up all night is called The Setup, and if you want to hear a band which can rock out and still have fun. a little bash and pop for the senses.  check em out.... they are a melding of  the top british groups. The Beatles, David Bowie, The Jam and The Buzzcocks.  and  the front man is a scot!<BR> <A HREF="http://www.thesetup.biz" TARGET=_blank>http://www.thesetup.biz[/url]   <P>with sound samples at mp3.com ,etc
T.Rex

Fico

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2003, 02:15:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lily1:<BR><B>hey gang, lovely to see you all again and to formally meet kosmo and mankie (thanks for the ginger ale).<P>bit of a side note here-their publicist ended up in the same cab as me, since she was just headed over to rouge where they were all staying (fyi, more and more artists stay there or at topaz, except for the major stars that prefer the 4 seasons and the mayflower, should you feel the need to follow your favorite rockstar). she was very kind and chatty   and apologized several times over for johnny marr and the other band mates not coming out after the show. she mentioned that the tour manager was adament once they were off stage that they head home to bed.   apparently its been an exhausting few days and they had an early tran to ny this morning. they generally do come out for a short bit to meet the fans and sign, take pictures, etc, but not tonight. she's is based in la but is out with them for the tour. the band was very pleased with the turnout and the crowd, esp the crowd, and that there is some serious consideration to touring again in the not so distant future at perhaps a larger venue, preferably the 930. but regardless, they are coming back to dc.   yippee.<P>i'm glad i shoved the work monster in the closet and went to the show. it was great. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thats great news Lily... It was frustrating to miss the show, but the prospect of a future gig at the 930 is a great thing...<P>Maybe them opening up for Oasis???  <P>just dreaming out load...

vansmack

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2003, 05:48:00 pm »
I'm fully bummed I missed the show.  I should have sucked it up and made it out.<P>Anyhow, he's on Letterman tonight:<P>*TV ALERT*: DAVID LETTERMAN SHOW PERFORMANCE<BR>Tune in to The Late Show with David Letterman tonight (Wed Jan. 22nd) as Johnny Marr + The Healers will make their U.S. national television debut performing "Last ride" from their upcoming iMusic release BOOMSLANG (release February 4th). Check your local times and listings.
27>34

poorlulu

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2003, 05:54:00 pm »
i just got that email too......<P>vansmack you are a moron for missing that show......well and other reason too....

vansmack

« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2003, 06:05:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by poorlulu:<BR><B> vansmack you are a moron for missing that show......well and other reason too....</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yes, thanks, I am well aware.<P>Rub it in why don't you.....<BR>
27>34