Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3245992 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4725 on: July 24, 2014, 02:14:18 pm »
BCBS 2014 (summary copied from Beer Advocate, not my words...):

http://www.abvchicago.com/?p=690
To sum up the article Brett Porter says:
 This year we?ll see the return of Bourbon County Vanilla, a Bourbon County Coffee variant with Rwandan coffee, the Proprietor's version will include unrefined Mexican sugar, coconut water, cinnamon, and Ugandan Chocolate nibs.
 Their next Fulton and Wood release will be a Pomegranate Berliner Weisse tentatively named ?Lilith?.
They have some BC in old ass barrels that will "make the Pappy barrels seem like youngsters."

stevewizzle

« Reply #4726 on: July 24, 2014, 04:04:27 pm »

This year we?ll see the return of Bourbon County Vanilla, a Bourbon County Coffee variant with Rwandan coffee, the Proprietor's version will include unrefined Mexican sugar, coconut water, cinnamon, and Ugandan Chocolate nibs.
 Their next Fulton and Wood release will be a Pomegranate Berliner Weisse tentatively named ?Lilith?.
They have some BC in old ass barrels that will "make the Pappy barrels seem like youngsters."

neat, hoping to snag some vanilla for sure. 

brennser

« Reply #4727 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:29 pm »
They sound tasty - Black Friday is gonna be a shitshow

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4728 on: July 24, 2014, 05:37:08 pm »
i come to 930 to plan my beer purchases 4 months in advance.
<sig>

Bagley

« Reply #4729 on: July 25, 2014, 11:14:53 am »
Icing on the cake to a wonderful evening with Mr. Hansen-Phishhead dude selling Heady Topper on the way out of MPP.  Picked up a can.  Never had it but have read tremendous reviews. Should I drink it from can as they suggest?

fatskippy

« Reply #4730 on: July 25, 2014, 11:17:24 am »
Is there good beer sold at MPP? I thought I read they sold DC Brau and Union Craft now, but I couldn't find it last night. Where are they located? The "craft beer" stand had GI 312 and some other schwag.

stevewizzle

« Reply #4731 on: July 25, 2014, 11:25:15 am »
Icing on the cake to a wonderful evening with Mr. Hansen-Phishhead dude selling Heady Topper on the way out of MPP.  Picked up a can.  Never had it but have read tremendous reviews. Should I drink it from can as they suggest?

i think it's best enjoyed straight from the can, so yes.

Yada

« Reply #4732 on: July 25, 2014, 11:39:02 am »

$10 a can? drink it now... at your desk.

Yada

« Reply #4733 on: July 25, 2014, 11:39:28 am »
Is there good beer sold at MPP? I thought I read they sold DC Brau and Union Craft now, but I couldn't find it last night. Where are they located? The "craft beer" stand had GI 312 and some other schwag.

I prefer bud light and bud light lime when ragin' at MPP.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4734 on: July 27, 2014, 09:25:38 pm »
in honor of atomic:

German beer: Pure, cheap and a bit dull

(...) German beers are bland and indistinguishable. The country has many tiny breweries whose ales can only be had locally. Some, like the smoked beers of Bamberg in Franconia, are distinctive. But many of the small fry competently but predictably turn out a narrow range of flavours.

Rory Lawton, an Irish beer expert in Berlin, thinks Germany?s Reinheitsgebot, or beer-purity law, is discouraging innovation. The 1516 law was intended to make it easier to tax beer, through levies on its permitted ingredients: malted barley, hops, water and, later, yeast. Centuries on, brewers began using the Reinheitsgebot as a marketing tool to promote their products as pure and authentic. If anything else is put into a brew made in Germany it cannot be called Bier, but must be labelled ?alcoholic malt drink?.

Today, the link between quality and the purity law seems strange outside German brewing circles, since the restriction on experimenting with ingredients has meant that the country has largely missed out on the American-led ?craft beer? craze. Germany?s beer exports have been flat since 2007, whereas imports of more varied foreign beers have climbed. In America, consumption of the watery swill that passes for beer is falling, but the trade body for craft brewers reckons their sales rose by 17.2% in 2013.

(article goes on to talk about Stone's upcoming expansion into Germany.  the company has $137m in annual sales but trying to crowd-fund $1m of the $25m price tag.  for a while it wasn't working, but they're now at 25% of their goal.  some are objecting, saying Crowd-Funded Brewery Campaigns Are Bullshit).
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4735 on: July 31, 2014, 09:23:05 am »
Stone just posted this image (among others) on their Facebook page:

"Recently, Stone Co-founder Greg Koch kicked off a speech on our upcoming#Berlin brewery by disposing of some macro-lagers from countries spanning the globe in a most unique way. Cheers to #craftbeer...and forklifts!"

James Ford

« Reply #4736 on: July 31, 2014, 09:25:08 am »
Somewhere, Atomic is reading that last post and launching into an anti-IPA rant and crying over the loss of what looks very much like a typical one week supply of beer for him.

« Reply #4737 on: July 31, 2014, 10:24:45 am »
this was a nice find up in west west NY

The Hopbloem and Obscurite were delish

Going to the Southern Tier Brewery tour Saturday too...
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4738 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11:15 am »
g#Berlin brewery by disposing of some macro-lagers from countries spanning the globe in a most unique way. Cheers to #craftbeer...and forklifts!"

seems needlessly brash and offensive.  we get it, you're Mr. Craft From On High... do you really need to piss off people, and your competitors, with such a stunt?  and way to burnish the image of Americans as boorish shoot-first yeehaws...

wait, how the hell would you know what anyone is posting on Facebook?!?!?
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #4739 on: July 31, 2014, 12:52:26 pm »
I love the brashness. If we're willing to admit Germany has the better soccer team, Germany should man up and admit we have the better beer.

Sorry, I copied and pasted this from another source. I'm not good at quoting things. Though in this case it hardly matters.

I do check Facebook pages of certain establishments. Sometimes it's the only place to find things out. Though only at home since it's blocked at work.

g#Berlin brewery by disposing of some macro-lagers from countries spanning the globe in a most unique way. Cheers to #craftbeer...and forklifts!"

seems needlessly brash and offensive.  we get it, you're Mr. Craft From On High... do you really need to piss off people, and your competitors, with such a stunt?  and way to burnish the image of Americans as boorish shoot-first yeehaws...

wait, how the hell would you know what anyone is posting on Facebook?!?!?