Author Topic: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.  (Read 30940 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Demolish Nissan Pavilion...the Coldplay thread.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
Originally posted by jesse:

Coldplay set @ hfstival > coldplay set friday night

Yeah, seven songs is always much better then those seven songs plus ten more.   :roll:

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2005, 10:28:00 am »
Originally posted by you be betty:

last night we left at 4:30 from Bethesda, and arrived at around 8:15.  Rilo Kiley, who i was there to see more than i was to see Coldplay, had been playing since 7:30ish; and we only caught about three or four of their songs.  i almost cried.
As I recall, they came on late, and only played 8 songs, so you didn't miss a whole lot.

It's A Hit
 I Never
 Pull Me In Tighter
 Does He Love You*
 A Man/Me/Jim*
 More Adventurous*
 The Execution Of All Things
 Portions For Foxes

The ones with astericks could be out of order. The people in the pit were mostly polite except for one kid who kept either yelling "You're dead, Matthews" or "Theme Song to Boy Meets World" at Blake or "Show us where babies feed!" at Jenny. I wanted to smack that bastard.

smakawhat

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2005, 10:39:00 am »
I'd have to say that Nissan is a real pain cause of traffic, but for me the only way I'll go there is for someone I rEALly need/want to see (like when I went to see Rush).

And if that is the case, it's an afternoon off, I will leave work early or just take lots of time off to go see whoever.

If the band is THAT important, I take a vacation so hopefuly you can do that.

I even left work at 2:30 to leave Crystal City to drive up to Merriweather to see Radiohead.  I didn't miss anything but it was a brutal long drive and horrid traffic.  I should have taken the whole afternoon off.

Lesson learned   ;)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2005, 11:37:00 am »
Originally posted by [username edited by p.c. moderator]:

Originally posted by jesse:

Coldplay set @ hfstival > coldplay set friday night

Yeah, seven songs is always much better then those seven songs plus ten more.    :roll:  [/b]
i can think of lots of reason why a seven song set would be better than 17...
T.Rex

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2005, 11:45:00 am »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  i can think of lots of reason why a seven song set would be better than 17...
I can too (i.e. "this band sucks"), but I'm working off the assumption that someone who went to see the band twice likes them. I was at both shows, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how someone who was at both would like the shorter show better when the band played equally well at both.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2005, 11:47:00 am »
and i'm totally enjoying reading the new post writers concert reviews... bring on the snary comments! i'll bet he gets more than his fair share of hate mail.  comparing Coldplay to Dave Matthews Band was just priceless.  

he is cool of course until he trashes of my favs, then i'll toilet paper his house...
T.Rex

groovyside

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2005, 11:53:00 am »
  and i'm totally enjoying reading the new post writers concert reviews... bring on the snary comments! i'll bet he gets more than his fair share of hate mail.  comparing Coldplay to Dave Matthews Band was just priceless.
only part better than that was about which bands make music to be played in new cars vs. old cars.  wtf?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2005, 12:31:00 pm »

he is cool of course until he trashes of my favs, then i'll toilet paper his house...
unlike some others in here, i really like his reviews, here's a quote from the best part:

"Whatever. Upon further review, a better data point is the Dave Matthews band, minus the fiddle solos.

As a vocalist, Martin -- who showed enough promise early on that he was considered the probable heir to the late Jeff Buckley's king-of-crestfallen-singers-with-soaring-voices throne -- has come to sound like an over-emotive version of the Birkenstock rocker Matthews. The singers have the same high register, and both have come to serve basically the same audience -- one that does not include indie hipsters who recoil at Martin's immodesty and hyper-pretension, as well as the strikingly familiar, middle-of-the-road quality of his band's music. Particularly on the new "X&Y." Coldplay and the Dave Matthews band generally appeal to medium-level dull people. They both create music to be played in new cars. Whereas true artists make music to be played in old cars."
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:00 pm »
The use of the term "natch" should be outlawed; at least among those hoping to be viewed as real journalists.

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2005, 12:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  The use of the term "natch" should be outlawed; at least among those hoping to be viewed as real journalists.
The use of the term "snatch" should be increased, at least among those hoping to be published in Penthouse Forum.

gildar2002

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2005, 12:47:00 pm »
AMEN!  I read that in the paper, and thought "natch"?  Is this guy a journalist, or my 13 year old sister?

Arlette

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2005, 12:54:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

unlike some others in here, i really like his reviews, here's a quote from the best part:

"Whatever. Upon further review, a better data point is the Dave Matthews band, minus the fiddle solos.

As a vocalist, Martin -- who showed enough promise early on that he was considered the probable heir to the late Jeff Buckley's king-of-crestfallen-singers-with-soaring-voices throne -- has come to sound like an over-emotive version of the Birkenstock rocker Matthews. The singers have the same high register, and both have come to serve basically the same audience -- one that does not include indie hipsters who recoil at Martin's immodesty and hyper-pretension, as well as the strikingly familiar, middle-of-the-road quality of his band's music. Particularly on the new "X&Y." Coldplay and the Dave Matthews band generally appeal to medium-level dull people. They both create music to be played in new cars. Whereas true artists make music to be played in old cars." [/b]
Wow, I just copied and pasted that exact same section and emailed it to a friend saying it was a great comparison.  

I like his writing.  A little cliched, but still he knows what he's talking about.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2005, 01:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by gildar2002:
  AMEN!  I read that in the paper, and thought "natch"?  Is this guy a journalist, or my 13 year old sister?
you can't please everyone with pop culture criticism ... would you rather have some staid writer who can't improvise outside of traditional journalistic norms to write a review of a coldplay show?  sounds like a fantastic read!

so when you start writing untraditionally, you open yourself up to hipsters who think you're trying too hard ... you just can't win, and i think j. freedom does a pretty good job
(o|o)

ggw

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2005, 01:09:00 pm »
I don't have a problem with his writing in general; but "natch" has become such a hackneyed hipster term that it has become staid and unimaginative.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2005, 01:16:00 pm »
i dont even know what review you all are talking about!!!!