Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3244961 times)

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5865 on: October 07, 2015, 03:56:50 pm »
Sorry to come bursting in here with a dumb question like Mr. Kool-aid but I have to ask: Do you beer dorks like pumpkin beer? Does anybody? I see it all over the damn place, and yet everyone I talk to says they hate it. So who's buying it? Has this been discussed to death already?
I tried it once and thought it was absolutely disgusting. Pump-King or whatever. Did not seem like two flavors that ever needed to go together.
LVMH

ggw

« Reply #5866 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:23 pm »

stevewizzle

« Reply #5867 on: October 07, 2015, 04:36:59 pm »
Sorry to come bursting in here with a dumb question like Mr. Kool-aid but I have to ask: Do you beer dorks like pumpkin beer? Does anybody? I see it all over the damn place, and yet everyone I talk to says they hate it. So who's buying it? Has this been discussed to death already?

yes, yes, i am, yes.

beta beer nerds have jumped on the bandwagon of trashing pumpkin beer like they are answering some calling from above and now need to slam pumpkin beer every chance they get. it's becoming tiring. yeah, i don't like that it's released in July/August, either, but i'm not gonna get all bent out of shape because some suit crunched the numbers and realized that an early market push might result in higher revenue.

stevewizzle

« Reply #5868 on: October 07, 2015, 04:39:36 pm »
women, are buying it . . . lots and lots of women, in pajama parties while oogling at the pizza delivery guy who seems to be too darn cute to just be a pizza delivery guy.

« Reply #5869 on: October 07, 2015, 04:48:48 pm »
I've tried quite a few pumpkin beers and just about all of them suck
there is one I love called Warlock ...and it's an Imperial stout...10% ABV
I have heard that the 2015 version isn't as good as past few years, but haven't tried it this year

slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5870 on: October 07, 2015, 05:19:48 pm »
I've tried quite a few pumpkin beers and just about all of them suck

THIS

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5871 on: October 07, 2015, 05:33:47 pm »
i'm not going to go on a pseudo-religious rant against pumpkin beers, but could me as another beer drinker who has yet to find a pumpkin beer that he enjoyed.  at best they are ok.  far too many breweries overdo the spices.

my mom recently came for a visit, and knowing that i'm a beer nerd she always brings some craft beer from back home.  among the beers that she brought this time was a pumpkin beer.  i tried one, it was fine, but that's all i need to taste.  unless the missus decides she likes it, i'm going to give it away... i think i'm going to a party this weekend, i can quietly dump it there.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5872 on: October 07, 2015, 05:59:53 pm »
i'm not going to go on a pseudo-religious rant against pumpkin beers, but could me as another beer drinker who has yet to find a pumpkin beer that he enjoyed.  at best they are ok.  far too many breweries overdo the spices.

my mom recently came for a visit, and knowing that i'm a beer nerd she always brings some craft beer from back home.  among the beers that she brought this time was a pumpkin beer.  i tried one, it was fine, but that's all i need to taste.  unless the missus decides she likes it, i'm going to give it away... i think i'm going to a party this weekend, i can quietly dump it there.

i've got a couple i like, and far as i know, they see distribution in DC:
elysian great pumpkin
elysian punkaccino
DFH punkin
avery rumpkin
southern tier pumpking
weyerbacher imperial pumpkin

A couple that probably dont make distribution:
midnight sun TREAT
a dozen or so elysian specialty releases, including the infamous pumpkin peach amber

also not bad: pumpkin cider

Space Freely

« Reply #5873 on: October 07, 2015, 06:12:49 pm »
I'm generally not a fan of spicy beers (I don't like winter warmers either), and not a fan of overly sweet beers (many stouts are too sweet for me, I prefer stouts that have more of a bitterness component than a sweet component). Hence my distaste for pumpkin beers. I'm equal opportunity though...I'm not much of a fan of pumpkin pie or pumpkin anything really.

« Reply #5874 on: October 08, 2015, 11:50:23 am »
was looking up details for the upcoming LOCO fest and saw they had some transportation options (good thinking boys!)

if you live in Loudon Co - $10 each way ride by Road Yachts  (would they pick you up at wiehle-reston Metro? as it's in fairfax)

and Reston limo is doing it too from Arlington /Alexandria for $39 R/T (doesn't include admission...and a little pricey IMO)

what's also nice is Reston Limo is doing a bunch of brewery tours now
https://www.restonlimo.com/services/tours-trips/brewery-tours/

also it's about a 10 mile easy bike ride from wiehle Metro
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #5875 on: October 08, 2015, 12:01:21 pm »
Stone Brewing barrels arriving by barge in Richmond.

« Reply #5876 on: October 08, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
^cool

also apparently we have not reached 'peak beer' yet

On September 25, the Brewers Association announced that the number of American breweries had passed 4,000, just over a year after the 3,000-brewery mark was reached
slack

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #5877 on: October 08, 2015, 03:32:23 pm »

avery rumpkin

This.  It is even better after a year of aging.  I also like Avery's Pump[KY]n. I had a year old one last weekend. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5878 on: October 08, 2015, 04:04:59 pm »
rumpkin and Pump[KY]n are not standard pumpkin beers.  good for them for breaking the mold, but i think of them as barrel-aged beers (category 22C).  the barrel aging and spirit dominate (and make up for the mediocrity of the traditional "pumpkin" flavors ;D)

are they beers make with pumpkin spices?  sure.  are they what people mean when they say "pumpkin beer"?  nah.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #5879 on: October 08, 2015, 05:15:10 pm »
rumpkin and Pump[KY]n are not standard pumpkin beers.  good for them for breaking the mold, but i think of them as barrel-aged beers (category 22C).  the barrel aging and spirit dominate (and make up for the mediocrity of the traditional "pumpkin" flavors ;D)

are they beers make with pumpkin spices?  sure.  are they what people mean when they say "pumpkin beer"?  nah.

#BJCPWNED