Author Topic: Even football is shite in America  (Read 10230 times)

vansmack

Re: Even football is shite in America
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 04:26:00 pm »
Originally posted by Andrew WK:
  Vansmack, hsve you turned stupid? You have watched American soccer, you know what it is like. The vast majority of the target readership probably dont even know there is American soccer. Therefore he is supplying an insite to people who have none.

It is therefore little surprise that as you know all about american soccer find the article trite.
Don't undersell the intelligence level of your "mates" back home.  They have no problem giving Americans shit about American "soccer" when we visit the UK and have plenty of insight (spelled correctly) as to how bad the US professional game is.  To remind everybody "back home" that the US game is passionless and watched by soccer moms is of no use to anyone, except to get a few laughs of ignorant jackasses such as yourself.  I can't wait to visit again so every twat that reads the guardian can quote the noted expert, Irvine Welsh, as to how bad the game is.  Since you have been far surpassed by America in nearly everything else, the British population has to hang its hat on something, and it does so on football.  Well, wooptygoddamndo!  Readers looking for real insight would want to know Irvine Welsh's thoughts on why the US professional game is "trite."
27>34

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 04:35:00 pm »
The Brits got us beat in the cricket department too. I love those sexy white outfits. Gets me all horny and shit.

mankie

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2003, 04:41:00 pm »
No country can beat the yanks at friendly fire though...you lot have a lock on that one.

England beat New Zealand at Rugby, IN NEW ZEALAND...the first time in 30 years. Evidently we're the best in the world at that game as well now. *ho-hum, it's hard to be humble*

thirsty moore

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2003, 04:43:00 pm »
What the hell is Welsh writing about US Soccer anyways?  Why doesn't he stick to drug addicts and Britpop?

markie

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2003, 04:44:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

It is therefore little surprise that as you know all about american soccer find the article trite.

trite    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (trt)
 adj. trit·er, trit·est

1.   Lacking power to evoke interest through overuse or repetition; hackneyed.
 2.   Archaic. Frayed or worn out by use.

Don't undersell the intelligence level of your "mates" back home.  They have no problem giving Americans shit about American "soccer" when we visit the UK and have plenty of insight (spelled correctly) as to how bad the US professional game is.  To remind everybody "back home" that the US game is passionless and watched by soccer moms is of no use to anyone, except to get a few laughs of ignorant jackasses such as yourself.  I can't wait to visit again so every twat that reads the guardian can quote the noted expert, Irvine Welsh, as to how bad the game is.  

the article is in the Telegraph, Irvine Welsh is a regular columnist. He is teaching in Chicago and supplies insights (thanks for the sp) of America back to Britain. As such comments on soccer are going to be as interesting or dull as anything else.

People laugh or respect American soccer because of the world cup.

I posted the article because of the observation I pointed out earlier and because I wondered if anyone else read Irvines articles. I for one enjoy them.

Since you have been far surpassed by America in nearly everything else, the British population has to hang its hat on something, and it does so on football.  Well, wooptygoddamndo!  Readers looking for real insight would want to know Irvine Welsh's thoughts on why the US professional game is "trite."

You misquoted me and obviously dont know what trite means, see above. And if I didnt know all that why would I be living in America, eh?

Vansmack, did you let someone with a logic difficulty in charge of your computer, or are you "just tired today"?

[/QB][/QUOTE]

ggw

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2003, 05:03:00 pm »
  And if I didnt know all that why would I be living in America, eh?

Have you ever given a straight answer about why you're living in America?

Is it just the money?

vansmack

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2003, 05:08:00 pm »

the article is in the Telegraph, Irvine Welsh is a regular columnist. He is teaching in Chicago and supplies insights (thanks for the sp) of America back to Britain. As such comments on soccer are going to be as interesting or dull as anything else.

People laugh or respect American soccer because of the world cup.

I posted the article because of the observation I pointed out earlier and because I wondered if anyone else read Irvines articles. I for one enjoy them.
 You misquoted me and obviously dont know what trite means, see above. And if I didnt know all that why would I be living in America, eh?

Vansmack, did you let someone with a logic difficulty in charge of your computer, or are you "just tired today"?

Oops, I confused the Telegraph and the Guardian.  That's about the only brainfart I've had today in lighting your ass up like a Christmas tree in a fireplace.

If you really wanted to know if others were reading Welsh, why didn't you ask weeks ago when Welsh said he enjoyed his day out at the ball park wathing "hitty-runny" as you call it?  Or his story about his mate getting robbed at gunpoint in the Tenderloin and his views on gun control?  Or on the Scot on death row, how America has taken over Prague and the rest of Central Europe?...his best articles elicting true insight from an outsiders view into American Culture.  Like I said before, this was his worst yet, so your was your subject line, and I was disappointed when I read it - I thought he could do more with American soccer than point out the obvious.

Despite the criticisms you face on the board, I thought you were deeper as well.  Clearly, you are not.  You bore me.
27>34

markie

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2003, 05:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:

Oops, I confused the Telegraph and the Guardian.  That's about the only brainfart I've had today in lighting your ass up like a Christmas tree in a fireplace.[/b]
actually, you dont know the meaning of trite and you misquoted me. Plus you obviously have not been reading what I have been typing.

If you really wanted to know if others were reading Welsh, why didn't you ask weeks ago when Welsh said he enjoyed his day out at the ball park wathing "hitty-runny" as you call it?  Or his story about his mate getting robbed at gunpoint in the Tenderloin and his views on gun control?  Or on the Scot on death row, how America has taken over Prague and the rest of Central Europe?...his best articles elicting true insight from an outsiders view into American Culture.  Like I said before, this was his worst yet, so your was your subject line, and I was disappointed when I read it - I thought he could do more with American soccer than point out the obvious.

Despite the criticisms you face on the board, I thought you were deeper as well.  Clearly, you are not.  You bore me. [/b]
Actually I posted about Welsh before. As I remember I posted his very first article on the board. You probably only read any of those articles because of me and the 930 board? I thought the other articles were better too. But have you no empathy, the soccer stuff is only obvious if you go to American soccer matches. the readership of the telegraph does not. but I have pointed that out 4 imes already.

What criticisms on the board? Its been a while.

I am not deep because I dont like american soccer? How easily offended you are. If I bore you so much please dont respond to my topics or posts then I wont reply and then I wont bore you.

I didnt post the article to offend or to bore people, I have already given my motives for posting it.

vansmack

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2003, 05:35:00 pm »
Yawn.

Lets get a beer later in the week (say Wednesday)?  You're much less boring when you're drunk.  Bring wifey to translate.
27>34

mankie

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2003, 05:38:00 pm »
One of the worst things to happen to the great game of football, or soccer to the uncivilized, is when they started letting girls play. And America is to blame for that.

thirsty moore

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2003, 05:41:00 pm »
Why is that?  My cousin Meredith happens to be quite good, and will be heading off to the pros if she works her cards right.

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2003, 05:45:00 pm »
We also invented the W chip.  

It's the greatest thing - you plug it into your cable box or direct tv console and it:

- Blocks all womens tv programming including sports (except womens tennis because of the short skirt factor - it does block the annoying women announcers though, making room for only the players grunting and crowd heckling).

- despite the short skirt factor, no ice skating of any kind without a stick, a puck, and goal is allowed

- blocks womens scores from appearing on the ticker at the bottom of popular sports tv channels

- when a woman is playing with a man, it makes all of the players whose scores are worse that  the womans appear in pink on your screen

These are just a few of the wonderful things the W chip does to compensate for Title IX and it's effect on sports worldwide.
27>34

mankie

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2003, 05:55:00 pm »
The reason yanks think football is a wussy sport is because they're used to seeing girls play it, Your girls national team is better than your boys national team...but they are catching up though. Your boys play it like a bunch of girls compared to the way the game is played in Europe.

thirsty moore

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2003, 05:59:00 pm »
I wonder why most yanks think swimming is a wussy sport?  Other than when the Olympics are on, no one watches it.

G.Love

« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2003, 01:35:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
  The reason yanks think football is a wussy sport is because they're used to seeing girls play it, Your girls national team is better than your boys national team...but they are catching up though. Your boys play it like a bunch of girls compared to the way the game is played in Europe.
The US is ranked 10th in FIFA' National team ranking, pretty good for a bunch of girls.  Which raises the question to Mankie or Mar-WK:

What would you consider a successful showing for the US in the upcoming Confederations Cup, besides winning it all?