Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241419 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2880 on: June 21, 2013, 09:49:40 am »
Says who? Heady is 8.0 ABV. Might as well call it an IPA.

the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP), that's who ;D  the style guide defines american IPAs as having an ABV of 5.5 ? 7.5%, while imperial IPAs are 7.5 ? 10% ABV.  http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1b

It is fun if you are single but my wife frowns upon it when I talk to other girls.

big tough 6'4" guy who was 4 years old in another country lets his wife decide where he can hang out? ;D
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2881 on: June 21, 2013, 10:15:04 am »
Why not take your wife to Union Craft? Between the two of you in a couple of hours, you could probably share at least a dozen 4-oz tasters (depending on which beers you shoose) and still be ok to drive home.

I've been to Union Craft. You get some decent free beer and you can buy the cool glass. You can do it any Saturday. That beer list at Max's, that doesn't come along just any Saturday. (Neither does my daughter's birthday, so I'll be drinking a Heady Topper at my daughter's birthday party.)

I have been to Max's a million times. It is fun if you are single but my wife frowns upon it when I talk to other girls. I would rather go to Union Craft. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2882 on: June 21, 2013, 10:58:48 am »

the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP), that's who ;D  the style guide defines american IPAs as having an ABV of 5.5 ? 7.5%, while imperial IPAs are 7.5 ? 10% ABV.  http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style14.php#1b

It is fun if you are single but my wife frowns upon it when I talk to other girls.

big tough 6'4" guy who was 4 years old in another country lets his wife decide where he can hang out? ;D

I am 6' 2" and if my wife is with my she can help decide where we can hang out.  I am sure she wouldn't mind going to Max's. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2883 on: June 21, 2013, 11:10:31 am »
yeah . . . im the one who is six four around here, and i like to hang out.  get it, i said 'hang out.'

James Ford

« Reply #2884 on: June 21, 2013, 11:23:52 am »
Union Craft was quite crowded the one time I was there. That stands to reason since they are giving away free beer, after all (and they actually give you nice size samples for the price).

One thing of note for you is that I heard Max's has now banned kids at all times (they used to let them in at certain times, though not for special events like this), whereas Union Craft was full of kids when i was there.

I am 6' 2" and if my wife is with my she can help decide where we can hang out.  I am sure she wouldn't mind going to Max's. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2885 on: June 21, 2013, 01:49:37 pm »
Union Craft was quite crowded the one time I was there. That stands to reason since they are giving away free beer, after all (and they actually give you nice size samples for the price).

One thing of note for you is that I heard Max's has now banned kids at all times (they used to let them in at certain times, though not for special events like this), whereas Union Craft was full of kids when i was there.

Anyway there is no reason I can't do both.   I am definitely going to Union Craft.  I will see about Max's depending on how I feel. 

Yada

« Reply #2886 on: June 21, 2013, 02:27:01 pm »
Why are we talking about beer in the loltomicfront thread?

Best Mexican beers that don't require limes.

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

I love drinking multiple of any of those on a really hot day or at a bbq.

James Ford

« Reply #2887 on: June 21, 2013, 02:52:25 pm »
I prefer water, sweet tea, or lemonade for thirst quenching purposes.

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

atomicfront

« Reply #2888 on: June 21, 2013, 02:55:16 pm »

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

Modelo is truely are horrible beer.  Dos Equis isn't bad. 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2889 on: June 21, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

negro modelo is the only mexican beer that i can stand.  it almost passes for a dunkel.  unlike every other mexican beer, it has a little taste.

any beer that is only drinkable with a lime in it is not a good beer and should not be drunk.  add lime to water and drink that instead.
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #2890 on: June 21, 2013, 03:17:26 pm »
Actually, my go-to summer thirst quenching beers are Weistephaner Hefe and Lagunitas Lil Sumpin Sumpin. Yum.

atomicfront

« Reply #2891 on: June 21, 2013, 03:36:25 pm »

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

negro modelo is the only mexican beer that i can stand.  it almost passes for a dunkel.  unlike every other mexican beer, it has a little taste.

any beer that is only drinkable with a lime in it is not a good beer and should not be drunk.  add lime to water and drink that instead.

I went to a party in PA a while back.  And you have to get cases of beer. So some guy insisted one of the cases was Modelo.  Half way through the party all the other beer was gone but the Modelo was still there as everyone refused to drink it so we had to go back to the Beer store and get more beer.  Next day Modelo was still there. 

And water won't get you buzzed.   And it is like saying there is no reason to put a ton of hops into a beer to make it taste good.  Same principal. 

Yada

« Reply #2892 on: June 21, 2013, 03:48:59 pm »
sweetcell/jimmyford,

I get the impression you guys don't generally drink more than a couple beers.

What do you do if you go to a BBQ, music festival, event that starts at say noon and it's a party that goes until midnight? You're obviously not crushing 8% beers all day, so what do you do?

James Ford

« Reply #2893 on: June 21, 2013, 03:51:53 pm »
I honestly don't drink any of the aforementioned beers (I may have had Tecate 10+ years ago), but I'm thinking your little story probably isn't the best barometer of the quality one beer as compared to another.

Although it's probably a better indicator than the ratings on Beer Adovocate or Ratebeer right?  ;)

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

I went to a party in PA a while back.  And you have to get cases of beer. So some guy insisted one of the cases was Modelo.  Half way through the party all the other beer was gone but the Modelo was still there as everyone refused to drink it so we had to go back to the Beer store and get more beer.  Next day Modelo was still there. 

And water won't get you buzzed.   And it is like saying there is no reason to put a ton of hops into a beer to make it taste good.  Same principal. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2894 on: June 21, 2013, 03:55:42 pm »
I honestly don't drink any of the aforementioned beers (I may have had Tecate 10+ years ago), but I'm thinking your little story probably isn't the best barometer of the quality one beer as compared to another.

Although it's probably a better indicator than the ratings on Beer Adovocate or Ratebeer right?  ;)

Modelo
Tecate
Pacifico
Dos Equis

If you have no one at a party with 50 or so people and no one is willing to drink the beer due to the taste than yeah it would be more valid than a bunch of pretentious people on Beer Advocate.  After a few hours into a party people are liable to drink just about anything. 

And people had been playing flip cup during those few hours.