Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241439 times)

atomicfront

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #2910 on: June 24, 2013, 12:37:50 pm »
Never been to Portugal, but liked the food in Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and Granada, even with vegetarian+seafood restriction.

How does the Portuguese food compare to Spanish food?

I thought the food in Portugal was much better.  I mostly ate seafood in both countries.  I think the only time I didn't have seafood in either country for lunch or dinner I had duck breast at our hotel in Coimbra, Portugal which was amazing.  The restaurant was Michilin star rated what ever that means. 

Anyway great seafood in Portugal.  I ate a lot Paella in Spain.  No restaurant I went to in Spain did the people speak English.  And they had English menus but the waiter couldn't read the English menu so it was pretty much useless.  I did have a delilcious Cod dish in Merida, Spain and but it was a Portugese recipe. 

In portugal I usually asked the waiter to recommend the food and the wine.  I figure they would know better than me.  I would ask for their recommended red win and their recommended seafood. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2911 on: June 24, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »
So I went to Union Craft on Saturday. I enjoyed their beers.  I especially liked their Balt Altbier, Blackwing Lager, and Oatmeal Stout.  I got a couple of six packs of Altbier and a growler of their Lager.   They seem to know what they are doing and they are so close to my house that I can stop by any saturday and fill up a growler or two which is nice.

I did head to Max's on Saturday.  The bar was full and there was one table open but they dont' have waiters there.  And they only had some of the beers each day.  I didn't really see anything on the list I wanted to drink on draft.  The bottles were around 20 bucks a piece.  They had stuff like beers that had 1.5 percent and another beer with habrenaro in it.  Also there was no eye candy there.  Mostly old people with metal frame glasses.  Anyway we left and went to the Admirals Cup had a few Flying Dog in heat wheats and some oysters and crab cakes outside.  Beautiful day. 

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2912 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:21 pm »
nothing worse . . . than old people in metal frame glasses.

hutch

« Reply #2913 on: June 24, 2013, 01:06:15 pm »
Never been to Portugal, but liked the food in Madrid, Seville, Barcelona and Granada, even with vegetarian+seafood restriction.

I thought the food in Portugal was much better.  I mostly ate seafood in both countries.  I think the only time I didn't have seafood in either country for lunch or dinner I had duck breast at our hotel in Coimbra, Portugal which was amazing.  The restaurant was Michilin star rated what ever that means. 

Anyway great seafood in Portugal.  I ate a lot Paella in Spain.  No restaurant I went to in Spain did the people speak English.  And they had English menus but the waiter couldn't read the English menu so it was pretty much useless.  I did have a delilcious Cod dish in Merida, Spain and but it was a Portugese recipe. 

In portugal I usually asked the waiter to recommend the food and the wine.  I figure they would know better than me.  I would ask for their recommended red win and their recommended seafood. 

yeah but the "eye candy" in portugal leaves a lot to be desired.. a serious contender for ugliest women on earth (along with cape verde)

James Ford

« Reply #2914 on: June 24, 2013, 01:33:38 pm »
Well kudos to you for at least giving the Max's thing a shot.

At least they titled it correctly, "Rare and Obscure Beer Fest". Looked like some of the stuff sort of appealed to a niche audience and some of it was from smaller, lesser known breweries. Neither of which is going to appeal to a mainstream beer drinker like yourself.

So I went to Union Craft on Saturday. I enjoyed their beers.  I especially liked their Balt Altbier, Blackwing Lager, and Oatmeal Stout.  I got a couple of six packs of Altbier and a growler of their Lager.   They seem to know what they are doing and they are so close to my house that I can stop by any saturday and fill up a growler or two which is nice.

I did head to Max's on Saturday.  The bar was full and there was one table open but they dont' have waiters there.  And they only had some of the beers each day.  I didn't really see anything on the list I wanted to drink on draft.  The bottles were around 20 bucks a piece.  They had stuff like beers that had 1.5 percent and another beer with habrenaro in it.  Also there was no eye candy there.  Mostly old people with metal frame glasses.  Anyway we left and went to the Admirals Cup had a few Flying Dog in heat wheats and some oysters and crab cakes outside.  Beautiful day. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2915 on: June 24, 2013, 01:36:08 pm »

At least they titled it correctly, "Rare and Obscure Beer Fest". Looked like some of the stuff sort of appealed to a niche audience and some of it was from smaller, lesser known breweries. Neither of which is going to appeal to a mainstream beer drinker like yourself.

Yeah I am the mainstream beer drinker who drinks Union Craft beer.  It appeals to old short  dudes in metal framed glasses.  I don't think 1.5 percent beer is going to appeal to too many people.  Mainstream or Niche drinkers.   

James Ford

« Reply #2916 on: June 24, 2013, 01:43:33 pm »
If you're saying it won't appeal to people because it lacks taste, I'm with you.

If you are saying it won't appeal to people because of the low ABV, you lost me. I would love it if all of the 10% beers I drink could be cut down to 1.5%  (and have the calories chopped as well) and maintain the same taste.

And Union Craft makes a lager, a pale ale, an oatmeal stout, and an altbier. It doesn't get much more mainstream than that, does it?

Yeah I am the mainstream beer drinker who drinks Union Craft beer.  It appeals to old short  dudes in metal framed glasses.  I don't think 1.5 percent beer is going to appeal to too many people.  Mainstream or Niche drinkers.   
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:46:09 pm by James Ford »

James Ford

« Reply #2917 on: June 24, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »
Red wine with seafood? You really are a rebel!

atomicfront

« Reply #2918 on: June 24, 2013, 02:33:42 pm »
If you're saying it won't appeal to people because it lacks taste, I'm with you.

If you are saying it won't appeal to people because of the low ABV, you lost me. I would love it if all of the 10% beers I drink could be cut down to 1.5%  (and have the calories chopped as well) and maintain the same taste.

And Union Craft makes a lager, a pale ale, an oatmeal stout, and an altbier. It doesn't get much more mainstream than that, does it?

To me drinking 1.5 percent beer would be a waste of time.  As for Union Craft, Black Lager is not mainstream, oatmeal stout is not mainstream.  And Altbeir is not mainstream.  I don't know where you get stuff from. 

As for Red Wine and seafood.  I don't like white wine.  So I would never have it with any food.  Red wine is healthier for you as well. 

James Ford

« Reply #2919 on: June 24, 2013, 02:43:10 pm »
I too prefer red wine. And if it tasted good and was 1.5% abv, I'd still drink it.

I've seen black lagers, oatmeal stouts, and altbiers at my local Giant grocery store. A grocery store that sells very, very limited supply of craft beer.

However, I've never seen any flanders red ales, flanders oud bruins, american wild ales, berliner weisses, rauchbiers, bier de gardes, or wee heavies at my local Giant. When Union Craft starts making some of those, I'll drop the "mainstream" tag. ;)

To me drinking 1.5 percent beer would be a waste of time.  As for Union Craft, Black Lager is not mainstream, oatmeal stout is not mainstream.  And Altbeir is not mainstream.  I don't know where you get stuff from. 

As for Red Wine and seafood.  I don't like white wine.  So I would never have it with any food.  Red wine is healthier for you as well. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2920 on: June 24, 2013, 02:47:30 pm »

Union Craft makes a Berliner weisse. 

James Ford

« Reply #2921 on: June 24, 2013, 02:57:27 pm »
Yeah, but the ABV is 2.7%, so what's the point?

;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2922 on: June 24, 2013, 03:43:41 pm »
on wednesday night i'll be at this: http://phillytapfinder.com/event/brewing-networks-bna8/

looking forward to drinking Founder's Bolt Cutter & Doom, Moonlight Russian Imperial Braggot, Stone's Reason Be Damned, Weyerbacher Aquila & Insanity... at least i hope to taste all of these, we'll see how far i make it down that list.  supposedly there will also be some special meads from Moonlight Meadery.  
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #2923 on: June 24, 2013, 04:16:52 pm »
 i really like insanity. i have 3 bottles aging now.

will be in DC for the founders event Wednesday night at big hunt. hoping for a bolt cutter surprise cameo!

Kentucky Breakfast Stout
Pale Ale
Double Trouble
All Day IPA
And more(!?)

hoping for some good brews at AHA pro-brewer night on thursday. 

atomicfront

« Reply #2924 on: June 24, 2013, 04:18:09 pm »
Yeah, but the ABV is 2.7%, so what's the point?

;D

Anyway the stupidity behind your mainstream comment is that Max's had five firkin's of Union Craft brew at their rare brews fest.