Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3241423 times)

James Ford

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #3420 on: September 02, 2013, 04:47:36 pm »
My local Whole Foods is selling 64 oz growler refills of Raging Bitch for $23. WTF. I can get a six pack for $9.

In other Flying Dog news, I found The Truth to be pretty damn good, but agree with stevewizzle that it falls short of mindblowing. Still, at $11/6 pk, I'll be drinking it again. After the Heady runs out.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #3421 on: September 03, 2013, 02:15:01 pm »
There are four of us, but none of us are alcoholics. So a sixer will probably suffice.  Also, one person just had a baby and is nursing, so likely not drinking anything at all.

Also, we are bringing all the food, so they'll likely supply some beer as well. And it won't be catered to our tastes based on past experience.

Thanks guys. My wife just picked up a sixer of the Truth at P Street.

Now is that something i can bring over to a friends for snacks and beers? My wife says "DIPA's" aren't for everyone."

But what beer is? These friends brought a sixer of porters to our house last time. Good, but not our favorite. If they had brought Fat Tire or Brooklyn Lager, that totally wouldn't have been for everyone either. Everyone being my wife and I.

Should one have to tamper down your tastes if you're bringing over beer to a non-beer geek friends house?

If you're bringing something to a friend's house, I find it a nice gesture to bring something you'd think they would like/enjoy.

Also, if there are four of you, you should be bringing more than one six pack, so bring one that you know they'd like and if you want to bring a sixer of something fancy for you and wife, then do it.

If you drink more than 1.5 beers you're considered an alcoholic?

I hope you're bringing some mashed potatoes to that party!

Interesting topic. 

When I go to someones house for a few beers, I usually bring the amount that I plan on drinking.    I'm not going to just carry a few bottles, so it's usually a sixer.  That would be the same if it were my wife and I heading over.  The thinking being,  you don't invite someone over and expect them to bring all the beer.  You have some of your own, just not enough for everyone so you say bring beer.  Then when you get there, you brought what you like, they have what they like.. you drink whatever, trying both and all is well; if they don't like your beer they're good because they have theirs and vice versa. 

Is that not right?

what gets me is when i have a "hey everyone, let's clean out my beer fridge" evening and people bring over beer. 

as for what i bring over to houses, usually deschutes (mirror pond) unless they know their beer, then i'm bringing Double IPAs.
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #3422 on: September 04, 2013, 12:04:06 pm »
I see that Smoke and Barrel has OTWOA on draft, and at half price tonight, that means $4.50 for 13 oz draft. But not much interest here. Damn you, Heady Topper.

Yada

« Reply #3423 on: September 04, 2013, 12:05:13 pm »
I see that Smoke and Barrel has OTWOA on draft, and at half price tonight, that means $4.50 for 13 oz draft. But not much interest here. Damn you, Heady Topper.

Christ, it's usually $9 a draft there?

slappy

« Reply #3424 on: September 04, 2013, 12:22:10 pm »
There are four of us, but none of us are alcoholics. So a sixer will probably suffice.  Also, one person just had a baby and is nursing, so likely not drinking anything at all.

Also, we are bringing all the food, so they'll likely supply some beer as well. And it won't be catered to our tastes based on past experience.

Thanks guys. My wife just picked up a sixer of the Truth at P Street.

Now is that something i can bring over to a friends for snacks and beers? My wife says "DIPA's" aren't for everyone."

But what beer is? These friends brought a sixer of porters to our house last time. Good, but not our favorite. If they had brought Fat Tire or Brooklyn Lager, that totally wouldn't have been for everyone either. Everyone being my wife and I.

Should one have to tamper down your tastes if you're bringing over beer to a non-beer geek friends house?

If you're bringing something to a friend's house, I find it a nice gesture to bring something you'd think they would like/enjoy.

Also, if there are four of you, you should be bringing more than one six pack, so bring one that you know they'd like and if you want to bring a sixer of something fancy for you and wife, then do it.

If you drink more than 1.5 beers you're considered an alcoholic?

I hope you're bringing some mashed potatoes to that party!

Interesting topic. 

When I go to someones house for a few beers, I usually bring the amount that I plan on drinking.    I'm not going to just carry a few bottles, so it's usually a sixer.  That would be the same if it were my wife and I heading over.  The thinking being,  you don't invite someone over and expect them to bring all the beer.  You have some of your own, just not enough for everyone so you say bring beer.  Then when you get there, you brought what you like, they have what they like.. you drink whatever, trying both and all is well; if they don't like your beer they're good because they have theirs and vice versa. 

Is that not right?

what gets me is when i have a "hey everyone, let's clean out my beer fridge" evening and people bring over beer. 

as for what i bring over to houses, usually deschutes (mirror pond) unless they know their beer, then i'm bringing Double IPAs.

This thread has devolved to First World/Middle Class Problems.
I'd just bring the beer I like and drink it and enjoy the company.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lukelewis/middle-class-problems

James Ford

« Reply #3425 on: September 04, 2013, 12:48:12 pm »
That's what it is on the current draft list.

I remember when i got a whole growler of it at Whole Foods in Fairfax for about $9.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3426 on: September 04, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »

I remember when i got a whole growler of it at Whole Foods in Fairfax for about $9.

it's typically $9 every time i see it on draft somewhere.

seems consistent with dc brau price gouging.  i doubt it's smoke and barrel price gouging, but maybe i'm wrong.

James Ford

« Reply #3427 on: September 04, 2013, 12:55:09 pm »
$4/12 oz draft at Whole Foods in Fairfax the last time i had one there.

it's typically $9 every time i see it on draft somewhere.

seems consistent with dc brau price gouging.  i doubt it's smoke and barrel price gouging, but maybe i'm wrong.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3428 on: September 04, 2013, 12:57:31 pm »
minus well be west virginia

stevewizzle

« Reply #3429 on: September 04, 2013, 12:59:37 pm »
but seriously, you can't compare whole foods to dc bars.  i'm sure they can either get by with making no profit, or even losing money, just so people come in the doors.

James Ford

« Reply #3430 on: September 04, 2013, 01:03:52 pm »
I can, and I will.  ;D

To me, the beer tastes the same at each venue.

but seriously, you can't compare whole foods to dc bars.  i'm sure they can either get by with making no profit, or even losing money, just so people come in the doors.

Yada

« Reply #3431 on: September 04, 2013, 01:32:03 pm »
I've only had it on draft in a bar once... and I was drinking it for free, but $9 seems outrageous.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3432 on: September 04, 2013, 02:25:18 pm »
the Alchemist just posted on the need/desire to expand production (summary: it ain't happening any time soon)

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/expand-brew-more/
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #3433 on: September 04, 2013, 02:33:54 pm »
the Alchemist just posted on the need/desire to expand production (summary: it ain't happening any time soon)

http://www.alchemistbeer.com/expand-brew-more/

I gotta say I respect that.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3434 on: September 04, 2013, 02:58:07 pm »
agreed.  he seems like such a cool dude, where the dweeb from hill farmstead seems like such an arrogant asshole.