Author Topic: atomicfront's Thread of Contrarianism?  (Read 122581 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: atomicfront's Thread of Contrarianism?
« Reply #255 on: July 10, 2013, 07:33:07 pm »
wow james.  how come you are so smart and have such a great education and an incredible life with im sure a great family and possess knowledege of such a beer degree to rival that of the proudest town drunk and shoot off such awesome things to say on here . . . and still want to work for the government?

James Ford

« Reply #256 on: July 10, 2013, 08:37:52 pm »
Decent pay, good benefits, challenging work, cooperative and collaborative coworkers, a nice boss, ample vacation time, flexible hours that let me maximize spending time with my daughter...what's not to like?

wow james.  how come you are so smart and have such a great education and an incredible life with im sure a great family and possess knowledege of such a beer degree to rival that of the proudest town drunk and shoot off such awesome things to say on here . . . and still want to work for the government?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:43:26 pm by James Ford »

hutch

« Reply #257 on: July 10, 2013, 09:04:23 pm »
Decent pay, good benefits, challenging work, cooperative and collaborative coworkers, a nice boss, ample vacation time, flexible hours that let me maximize spending time with my daughter...what's not to like?

well its like everything.. pluses and minuses and if you're happy man i'm happy too... and it sounds like you are very pleased with your life.. you seem really almost basking in the wonderful life you've carved out for yourself and your lovely family.. and i wouldn't say you throw it in my face how great your life is and how wonderful you're doing and how smart you are and how you made and make all the right choices..and how well your daughter is doing... you have humility.. tact....and i feel that man.. i feel that love and i'm happy for you because i've come to know you quite well.. you're not just an anonymous internet troll anymore.. you're James Ford my internet forum buddy with the self-proclaimed perfect life..sometimes i wish my life was perfect too but that is not life is it? so at least i'm happy i know someone who hit the jackpot- sorry, i know you worked very hard (i mean with all those degrees you keep telling us about and your scholarships and all) and made all  the right choices and now get to collect and share your good fortune with us every day on this forum..

ps i am so impressed you've been to europe 9 times... i'm even more impressed you keep count.

James Ford

« Reply #258 on: July 10, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »
wanna meet up for a beer sometime? you can tell me about the good things in your life.

atomicfront

« Reply #259 on: July 10, 2013, 09:35:27 pm »
Not that going to Europe vs. Vermont  or a college education are any indicator of success, but I've been to Europe for pleasure nine times. And have a major in mathematics and two master's degrees.

And your tax dollars are paying for my family trip to Verrmont

Only 9 times?  I have been there 3 times in the past year alone. I guess with the kid you have difficult choices to make. 

hutch

« Reply #260 on: July 10, 2013, 10:06:22 pm »
wanna meet up for a beer sometime? you can tell me about the good things in your life.

i don't have good things these days man..

atomicfront

« Reply #261 on: July 11, 2013, 09:44:12 am »
I wonder if the reason some of the guys on here have such bad taste in music and beer is because of old age.  I wonder if they have lost much of their sense of taste and sense of hearing.  They need so much hops like an old person loads up their food with salt.  They probably can't hear melodies anymore and just like music that they can remember when they could hear more than a beat.

James Ford

« Reply #262 on: July 11, 2013, 09:47:29 am »
That must be it, totally. Don't worry twentysomething hipster, you'll be there yourself someday.

I wonder if the reason some of the guys on here have such bad taste in music and beer is because of old age.  I wonder if they have lost much of their sense of taste and sense of hearing.  They need so much hops like an old person loads up their food with salt.  They probably can't hear melodies anymore and just like music that they can remember when they could hear more than a beat.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #263 on: July 11, 2013, 10:10:12 am »

Curious.

I've wondered about this for a while now.

What draws you to your favorite bands?  What makes for a good song?  For me - and probably in sharp contrast to some of the posters here, lyrics are primary.  Musical complexity ranks high.  Musical and lyrical angst seems to be a common theme for me.

I fully expect you have different criteria when you say someone has "good" or "bad" taste in music.  And I'm guessing you have different preferences.

Do you think that there are objective measures of good vs bad music?  If so, what are they?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #264 on: July 11, 2013, 11:04:59 am »
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #265 on: July 11, 2013, 11:15:07 am »
That must be it, totally. Don't worry twentysomething hipster, you'll be there yourself someday.

He's not in his 20's, he's in his 60's with a mullet.

James Ford

« Reply #266 on: July 11, 2013, 11:19:02 am »
We all know that. But on the internet, you can pretend to be anything you want to be.

He's not in his 20's, he's in his 60's with a mullet.

atomicfront

« Reply #267 on: July 11, 2013, 11:39:39 am »

You are the one who is trolling.  This is my thread if you don't like it don't open it up.  Go back to the pretentious beer thread.

atomicfront

« Reply #268 on: July 11, 2013, 12:59:35 pm »

Curious.

I've wondered about this for a while now.

What draws you to your favorite bands?  What makes for a good song?  For me - and probably in sharp contrast to some of the posters here, lyrics are primary.  Musical complexity ranks high.  Musical and lyrical angst seems to be a common theme for me.

I fully expect you have different criteria when you say someone has "good" or "bad" taste in music.  And I'm guessing you have different preferences.

Do you think that there are objective measures of good vs bad music?  If so, what are they?

I don't think there are any objective ways to measure any type of art.  I mean I hate the dutch masters but others love them.  I am sure they have their reasons. 

I like music with a lot of different instruments and good melodies.  Harmonies add a lot for me.  I guess lyrics aren't that important to me.  After all I listen to Paul McCartney and T Rex.  You don't get much worse in the lyric department than them. 

I am bored with a male lead singer and bass, drum, guitar line-up doing rock and roll. I mean how many times do you need to hear the same thing done.  To me it means the band lack creativity. 

I usually don't criticize other's taste unless they knock mine first.  I mean some people don't like change.  So they will listen to the Pearl Jam they grew up on. I  moved a lot when I was younger so that probably makes me like change more than them. 

atomicfront

« Reply #269 on: July 30, 2013, 11:22:44 am »
When I was at Newport Music Festival this weekend one of the bands did a song for Treyvon Martin about how  Zimmerman was racist and stuff.  I found this highly ironic as the only black person I saw in the crowd or on stage all weekend was Cold Speck. 

As Father John Misty stated he doesn't even do Folk Music and he was only invited because he is white, has a beard, and plays an acoustic guitar for a couple of songs.