Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1894194 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3510 on: July 31, 2015, 02:51:59 pm »
Exactly, that's why I don't believe VS on this one

Just look at the analytics.   IT reports to me now, and at our workplace, it's 82% browser, 10% Word, and 8 percent Excel.  We are a Google Campus, so as more people wean off of MS Office products and into Google Apps, those last two are going to disappear.

For my Chromebook at home, I use office365 for the rare occasion I can't get something accomplished in Google Docs/Sheets. 

The only desktop program I still need, I run Virtually - Lightroom in a VMWare enviroment.  And we already know Adobe is taking that to the cloud. 

What's left that consumers will need a Desktop OS for?
27>34

« Reply #3511 on: July 31, 2015, 03:11:14 pm »
honestly not much other than headaches :)

Some businesses can't be just browser based
but doing things via Citrix or VDI is where most people will be going
I'm surprised it's taken so long
All you really need is a keyboard, a mouse (with two button's goddammit!) a Monitor and a network connection
possibly a good video card, but they will start building that into the monitors I suspect

you noticed that Microsoft is giving Win10 away for free...
great way to get mass adoption

« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 03:13:23 pm by Sidehatch |̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅| »
slack

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3512 on: August 01, 2015, 06:02:43 pm »
(Cloning this from the ransom thread)

Have any of you checked out Windows 10 yet?  What do you think?  As far as speed it seems really great but the look and feel is pretty damn nasty.  They took away the ability to set the theme (I think that is the term du jour) to anything but fluffy and glitzy with terrible color choices.  The default task bar color is black with (get his) black text and there really is no way to change that without making the entire UI look very harsh and unappealing.  The main thing I do not like is the way they modified the start menu.  There is no way to pin an app to the actual start menu itself other than to add those horrible bulky tiles.  Then the 'all apps' section is sorted and differently and grouped by first letter.  The simple clean list of apps and folders was MUCH easier to use.  They really screwed up the entire start menu.  A big miss.

The UI of Windows 10 kind of looks like a bad Mac clone.  Not that this in and of itself is a bad thing, it just gives me that impression.  They did of course give the entire UI an entirely flat look and feel.  Which makes everything blend and run together.  The title bar (I am not sure if that is the correct term) where the min/max, restore, and close buttons are had been redesigned and is (IMHO) much worse.  First it takes up about three times the amount of space it did before.  Then the close button is this terrible glaring burnt orange color.

If you are into bells and whistles you will love Windows 10.  LOTS of those.  I personally find most of them totally useless.  Be aware, one of the things that is in the user agreement of Windows 10 is that you agree that MS can copy and save every document, image, media file, browsing history, web search, and location that you search form and do with it whatever they want at any time.  You can turn most of that off but it is very cumbersome and you cannot (afaik) disable it completely.

Windows 10 is basically Windows 8.2+.  It you loved Win8 you will adore Win10.  If not, stay with your old OS.
FUKIT

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3513 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:43 pm »
FUKIT

godsshoeshine

« Reply #3514 on: August 01, 2015, 09:31:31 pm »
honestly not much other than headaches :)

Some businesses can't be just browser based
but doing things via Citrix or VDI is where most people will be going
I'm surprised it's taken so long
All you really need is a keyboard, a mouse (with two button's goddammit!) a Monitor and a network connection
possibly a good video card, but they will start building that into the monitors I suspect

you noticed that Microsoft is giving Win10 away for free...
great way to get mass adoption

the day the citrix receiver finally worked on my chromebook was a top 10 day at my current job
o/\o

« Reply #3515 on: August 01, 2015, 10:03:50 pm »
We are a Google Campus,
what exactly does that mean and why on earth would they being using MS office at all if that is the case?

I really don't like google apps for complex things, simple doc and spread sheets yes
slack

« Reply #3516 on: August 01, 2015, 10:07:47 pm »
We discuss win10 over in the Smackie thread. What was your thoughts on Edge?

So far I like edge, but no plug-ins is my first irritation
I use lastpass for pw management and can't now, which may make me not use Edge that much
I don't ever like browsers caching of PW's

but it's quick and slick.  I like how little footprint it has as far as screen space

slack

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3517 on: August 03, 2015, 10:09:55 am »
I got a prompt saying Windows 10 was available for my laptop, but I'm scared to switch everything over to it. I also keep getting tons of updates. I think I got 2 or 3 over last week. Is there anywhere I can try it out before I update? I HATE Windows 9, but I never really got to tinker with it very much. My co-worker has it on her laptop and she's technologically inept, but whenever she asked me for help I found it to be a headache to get any sort of simple task done. Isn't 10 sort of an update on 9? Or maybe she has 8...

I believe my laptop is still back in the Windows 7 era. I've had it for about 5 or 6 years at this point.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #3518 on: August 03, 2015, 10:26:05 am »
I HATE Windows 9

no such product

not a big leap from win 8, but does bring the 'start menu' back for those that heat the Metro UI

and you will always get new updates all the time, just the way of computing is in this era
slack

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3519 on: August 03, 2015, 10:33:14 am »
I HATE Windows 9

no such product

not a big leap from win 8, but does bring the 'start menu' back for those that heat the Metro UI

and you will always get new updates all the time, just the way of computing is in this era

Yeah, my mistake, as I did some Googling I realized that. Few things I'm not liking is apparently it launched with bugs and there is not DVD playback? I use my laptop as my DVD player and hook it up via my HDMI port to my TV. They're also sending out a big 1 gig update to handle all the bugs that went out with the launch? And it eating your bandwidth nooooo!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/02/windows-10-vs-windows-8-vs-windows-7-whats-the-difference/
‼‼?‼‼

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3520 on: August 03, 2015, 10:34:51 am »
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3521 on: August 03, 2015, 11:23:15 am »
😐 🎶

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3522 on: August 03, 2015, 11:28:54 am »
It's Windows 10 because 7 8 9   ::)
I think that's meant as a joke. I've read the reason is some third-party Windows desktop developers used a shorthand to check the version name (not number) of Windows they were installing their app to. Instead of coding apps to check for Windows 95 or Windows 98, developers coded instructions to check for "Windows 9*". That made sense since there were only two versions of Windows that had a nine in their name to that point and they were basically the same from a compatibility standpoint.
LVMH

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
😐 🎶

« Reply #3524 on: August 03, 2015, 12:15:09 pm »
the dropping of Windows Media Center  and DVD native playing is a big deal for some
but for me no loss

this I find annoying: the new OS uses a peer-to-peer (p2p) update distribution system called ?Windows Update Delivery Optimization? (WUDO).

So in a business environment it makes sense a little... if you don't have WSUS
but this seems like a security hole waiting to happen
slack