Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2679188 times)

hutch

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4665 on: November 27, 2012, 01:19:23 am »
I meant specifically the covers that he just released.
My fault for not being specific.
I'd hope he doesn't stick to that album and yes, I'd love to hear some Ween material, even if it is obscure tracks.
But I doubt I will go so the point is moot. Maybe if a setlist appeared between now and then, it would change my mind but no way am I going in there with no idea as to what to expect at such a high price tag.

well somewhere I saw it advertised that he'd also do Ween songs...I'm not telling anyone to go... I probably won't go and everyone needs to make their own decisions..

so you don't like the McKuen covers record? I know many don't but I dig it...if you think about it it really is most akin to the Ween record 12 golden country greats.. produced by same guy too (Ben Vaughn) which also got a very negative visceral reaction when it came out....time sort of rehabilitated it in people's eyes.. (i loved it on day 1 of course  ;D)

Honestly if he performed Blarney Stone again I'd blow my head off I think (and I love that song!)

atomicfront

« Reply #4666 on: November 27, 2012, 01:34:25 am »
I really don't know why anyone be negative to it other than the long lines for drinks/bathroom.

umm...maybe because the sound sucks monkey balls and it is music we are talking about?

you think that could be it??? 

930 club sound isn't great yet you stay on this forum all the time.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4667 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:37 am »
930 has the best sound in the city with UHall a close second.
احمد

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4668 on: November 27, 2012, 07:15:00 am »
I really don't know why anyone be negative to it other than the long lines for drinks/bathroom.
umm...maybe because the sound sucks monkey balls and it is music we are talking about?

Not necessarily. Depends on who is doing the sound. I've seen both very good and very piss poor sounding shows there. If the soundman doesn't have the skills to adjust for the room, it's going to sound like the band is performing inside of a tin can. The settings one uses for the Black Cat, 9:30, or another general rock venue are not going to be the same for DAR. Different dynamics. Fortunately for me, most of the shows I've seen have sounded good. I've even been where the opener sounded horrendous due to sound settings while the headliners sounded great. Don't know if they used different people or if the openers got stuck with settings geared for the headliners. Really goes to show that there is more going on than just what you see onstage.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4669 on: November 27, 2012, 08:03:27 am »
I feel as though the general rule of thumb is if Gus is running sound, it sounds great. If it's a band guy, something more than likely will be off.
احمد

stevewizzle

« Reply #4670 on: November 27, 2012, 09:48:53 am »
i thought the sound for the phoenix show a few years back was on point.

same with vampire weekend.

i'm with walkie... place has history. it's a cool venue. hate the no drinks on the floor policy, and the seats, but the site lines are good, decent sound, and a unique place to catch a show.

hutch

« Reply #4671 on: November 27, 2012, 10:29:04 am »

HUH?

930 has fabulous sound.. I can't recall last time I saw a show with bad sound there.

Now we're comparing the sound at DAR to the 930.

Throws hands up in air and storms offf... ;)

hutch

« Reply #4672 on: November 27, 2012, 10:30:11 am »
but the site lines are good

oh yah..phoenix..forgot about them.. that's where i broke my boycott

site lines on the upper sides is pretty bad i think..remember seeing nina simone from there

atomicfront

« Reply #4673 on: November 27, 2012, 10:36:44 am »

HUH?

930 has fabulous sound.. I can't recall last time I saw a show with bad sound there.

Now we're comparing the sound at DAR to the 930.

Throws hands up in air and storms offf... ;)

well i am sure there is a choice of bands playing two shows at 930 club or one at DAR.  You go see bands at baseball stadiums and hockey arenas and you are boycotting DAR becuase of the sound?  You are just making yourself look stupid.

jesus and mary chain sound was awful.  And even Jen Lekman it go too loud at points.  For Jens F'n Lekman no less.

As for DAR it is a much better choice than Patriot Center which is too far for Baltimore people.  And is certainly not as nice of a venue. 

I like DAR and have never had any shows where the sound was off. 

stevewizzle

« Reply #4674 on: November 27, 2012, 10:39:17 am »

site lines on the upper sides is pretty bad i think..remember seeing nina simone from there

oh yeah.. the upper sides .. forgot about them.

i've lucked out with first 20 rows of orchestra every time, and front row once for the black keys. so my opinion is skewed.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4675 on: November 27, 2012, 10:46:56 am »
hate the no drinks on the floor policy

When we saw Heart there a couple weeks ago we were allowed to take drinks inside.  According to the usher, it's really up to the artist.  She said there's an extra "clean-up" fee charged to the bands if they want to allow drinks in the hall.  Most don't want to pay it.  That's the first I've heard of that, but that's what we were told.

atomicfront

« Reply #4676 on: November 27, 2012, 10:51:30 am »

i've lucked out with first 20 rows of orchestra every time, and front row once for the black keys. so my opinion is skewed.

I had upper sides for the Pixies and the view was excellent. 

hutch

« Reply #4677 on: November 27, 2012, 10:56:39 am »

I had upper sides for the Pixies and the view was excellent. 

I also had upper sides for the Pet Shop Boys and the view sucked ass....so there you go.

Of course you also think the sound at DAR is excellent and it is not good at the 930 so I'm not sure you're very credible at this point.. next thing you know you'll be telling us the earth is a square.

hutch

« Reply #4678 on: November 27, 2012, 11:00:55 am »

jesus and mary chain sound was awful.   

FALSE. I was there.. it was great. We went over this the day after the show..

hutch

« Reply #4679 on: November 27, 2012, 11:06:10 am »

I think that makes a big difference... but I wouldn't say the sound at a venue was good because it was good for the 10% with the best seats... I mean 20th row center is, generally, about the best spot for sound.

It is amazing to me how we have this debate about DAR every year or so and there are people out there who think the sound is good. The sound blows! It is not a music venue or built to be one.  Is the sound good , sometimes, if you're standing in a certain area? Probably but even a stopped clock is right twice a day!  But to each their own..  Of my friends many ignore the place like they do Jiffy Lube..  But until people stop going there Seth is going to keep renting the place.. no incentive for him to build a state of the art mid-capacity venue (3000-4000 capacity which is what the city's music lovers could really use) when he can just book DAR on the cheap and have shows there..