Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2679230 times)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #4950 on: March 29, 2013, 02:41:40 pm »
Well, if it were completely a grindcore show, I'd say you'd be right, but with Darkest Hour and the CBC tie-in, there might be more women than you'd expect.

And I meant to say: "it's GOING TO BE sold out", which it sounds like it will be by the time the show starts.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:57:47 pm by showlistdc »

killsaly

« Reply #4951 on: March 30, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »
Ahh fuck. A friend who I blew off last time he played in favor of Waxahatchee is playing the night of the DC show.

This weekend I plan on going to either the DC or the Baltimore stop on the Popnoise Tour (the Veldt (Apollo Heights), Suzy Blu (INSECT GUIDE), and Panophonic).
I am going to the Baltimore show. 

March 31st at Club K
2101 Maryland ave, Baltimore, Maryland 21218
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Club-K/447487695288992

The Veldt (NYC)
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Veldt/154526351270221
https://www.facebook.com/ApolloHeights
Formed by identical twin brothers singer/guitarist Daniel and guitarist Danny Chavis, and rounded out by drummer Marvin Levi on drums and bassist Dave Burris, The Veldt quickly became the "must see attraction" of the quirky art-rock scene in Chapel Hill, NC (which also held bands like Superchunk, Polvo and Dillon Fence in its ranks). The Veldt released their first proper record, Marigold's, on Stardog/Mercury, in 1992. Marigold's was received well enough to earn the band a much more lucrative contract with Polygram Records. The result was the cult classic Afrodisiac recorded and produced in London, England with Ray Shulman (The Sugarcubes,The Sundays, etc.) at the helm. Afrodisiac's under current rumblings eventually rose to cause a storm as the band soon found themselves sharing stages with likes of Oasis, The Cocteau Twins, The Pixies, Fishbone, Corrosion Of Conformity and a host of other seminal alternative bands. After two more records, Universe Boat on Yesha Recordings and Love At First Hate on their own imprint, End Of The World Technologies, Danny left the band preceded by Burris who left the music business for a career in film in 1994 (he is currently the producer for CBS's hit show Survivor). The Veldt continued on in various incarnations until it was put to bed in 1998. After relocating to New York City, Danny and Daniel focused on their new band Apollo Heights. This time around, The Chavis brothers pushed their musical boundaries with more electronica and trip hop influenced back drops to create texture with Daniel's soulful falsetto croon. Their last recording, White Music For Black People, featured the twins and special guests Mos Def and Lady Miss Kier from Delite fame. TV On The Radio's David Sitek handled some of the production with Danny and Daniel doing the rest.
Suzy Blu (members of Insect Guide. UK)
http://suzyblu.tumblr.com/
https://www.facebook.com/insectguide
Formed in Leeds in late 2005, Insect Guide ? Su Sutton and Stan Howells ? have been sending ripples through the musical underground ever since thanks to their distinctive brand of DARK, CINEMATIC POP.

After two years of intensive activity Insect Guide's debut album, 6ft in Love, appeared on Leeds' Dead Penny Records in October 2007. The release included a DVD of self-produced videos. Sometimes bizarre and disturbing, sometimes gentle and reflective, the videos complemented the music perfectly; fans of the band's immersive, audio-visual live shows would have expected no less.

An UNCUT magazine 'DEBUT OF THE MONTH', Subba-Cultcha described it as 'a beautiful and idiosyncratic pop album'; Drowned in Sound called it 'AN IRRESISTABLE POP MASTERPIECE... AS DARK AS THE MOST POTENT VELVET UNDERGROUND'. Elsewhere, the album drew favourable comparisons to The Jesus and Mary Chain, Slowdive and My Bloody Valentine.

6ft in Love was followed in January 2008 by a limited EP featuring remixes of two tracks by SONIC BOOM (MGMT/Spacemen 3/Spectrum). The CD quickly sold out.

The first half of 2008 saw the Insects gigging heavily in support of both releases, supporting the likes of Ulrich Schnauss, Pains of Being Pure At Heart and Maps. A mini-tour of the USA in March was followed by appearances in Norway and Poland. Meanwhile, the band's profile in the UK was raised by their cover of Dinosaur Jr.'s 'FREAKSCENE' on RADIO 1's STEVE LAMACQ show and in the pages of the NME ('an amazing cover of Dinosaur Jr.'s finest moment').

In late 2008 ? with the SONIC BOOM remix of 'Frozen' finding a whole new audience on Northern Star Records' groundbreaking Psychedelica Three compilation ? Insect Guide began gigging and recording with drummer Chris Cooper, of 4AD legends THE PALE SAINTS. The result is a new batch of songs that show Insect Guide, far from struggling to follow their debut, are just hitting their stride: still darkly atmospheric, still multi-layered, still beautifully crafted ? but louder, more direct, and more unashamedly 'pop'.

With a MARC RILEY session under their belts and STEVE LAMACQ calling their version of Paparazzi "The Gaga cover that EVERYONE has been asking about", Insect Guide released their 2nd album "DARK DAYS & NIGHTS" in October 2010.
- Greg Owens 2010

Panophonic (Philadelphia)
https://www.soundcloud.com/tomlugo
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Panophonic/33458859528
Singer songwriter Tom Lugo hailing from the Southwest Suburbs of Philadelphia. Blends pop song-writing, ethereal guitar soundscapes, bleeps, noises, samples, electronic beats, & floating vocals.
His other projects are Electro Indiepop Nugaze duo ShiShi, Darkwave project Under the wire with Jason Ellis, an experimental groove noise project SUPER TOYS with SPC ECO's Joey Levenson, shoegaze grunge band Stellarscope, laid back psych rock band Drowning Dreams, and the recent collaboration with his son Adrian Lugo.
He is the owner of indie label Patetico Recordings.

Blackpool Holiday
https://www.facebook.com/blackpoolholiday
Formed in 2010, Blackpool Holiday is a three-piece indie-pop band from Baltimore, Maryland, USA. Influenced by the North American and U.K. indie scene, Blackpool Holiday's songwriting style blends smart lyrics with catchy, upbeat, indie/pop music that will have you singing along and leave you wanting more. Following the release of a three-song demo in early 2011, BpH gained momentum by playing several local shows in front of their hometown fans. By mid-Summer, opportunities to play regionally arose, highlighted by a set at the annual Gathering Of The Vibes Festival in Bridgeport, Connecticut (headlined by Elvis Costello and Jane's Addiction). 2012 holds great promise for Blackpool Holiday. In March, their first single, "Seymour," was released on Dare To Be Louder - a compilation cd produced by The University of Delaware radio station, WVUD 91.3FM; They released three new demo recordings which have pushed them up to #5 on the ReverbNation charts (Baltimore Indie bands); and, their Summer bookings include: 98 Rock's Noise In The Basement and the Atlanta, Ga stop on Van's Warped Tour. They are currently writing new material for their debut EP.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4952 on: March 31, 2013, 01:08:45 pm »
Redd Kross friday....very excited!
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #4953 on: March 31, 2013, 02:03:39 pm »
Redd Kross friday....very excited!

has beens!

Glen Matlock and Syd Sylvain on my end.... if I make it back from Philly
oh also Ron Sexsmith

I'm actually not sure why I bought tickets for these.. I guess I wanted to see Tommy Ederlyi but he was replaced by Sylvain..which is cool.. I love the Dolls but... I'm just not feeling it ..of coure Glen Matlock...is it copacetic to get him to sign Never mind the bollocks? He played on it and wrote a lot of it but officially was not a part of it....its just weird to have only glen matlock sign it...i used up my Lydon autograph on Metal Box (the US reissue second edition actually..I wonder if Lydon would have signed Never mind the bollocks while touring as PIL? part of me says no.. part of me wishes I'd had him sign my Lydon bio Rotten...but i couldnt track it down before show)

maybe I was desperate cause there have been so few shows I've been into seeing lately.. I've always sorta a ltitle wanted to see Ron Sexsmith but.....lets face it..its going to be a singer songwriter snoozefest..

that is all..carry on children

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4954 on: March 31, 2013, 02:53:26 pm »
redd kross can still bring the rock....and they're fun to watch...
(_|_)

azaghal1981

« Reply #4955 on: March 31, 2013, 04:14:46 pm »
Snailhook's birthday show tonight
Crittendon thing Tuesday
Chelsea Light Moving Thursday
Either We Fought the Big One or the Slumberland showcase Friday
Possibly Baltimore Popfest Saturday
Jowe Head/Cigarette Sunday
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 07:11:22 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #4956 on: April 01, 2013, 12:31:34 am »
Orioles opening day

K8teebug

« Reply #4957 on: April 01, 2013, 08:56:51 am »
Orioles opening Sunday (I watch opening day on my couch)

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #4958 on: April 01, 2013, 12:54:10 pm »
Black Bear Combo on Wednesday night.

Still figuring out the rest of the week.

killsaly

« Reply #4959 on: April 01, 2013, 01:22:30 pm »
I have four maybes on my list for this week: Chelsea Light Moving on Thursday, Slumberland showcase on Friday, Elephant Stone/Black Angels on Saturday, and Baltimore Popfest on Saturday.

Im leaning towards Slumberland and maybe Chelsea...

azaghal1981

« Reply #4960 on: April 01, 2013, 03:42:26 pm »
First two tracks off that new Black Angels do little for me. I feel like it really is diminishing returns with that band both on record and live.
احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #4961 on: April 03, 2013, 09:58:50 am »
So Best Coast Show was last night.  They played 40 minutes set and didn't do an encore.  Perhaps this is why they didn't sell-out the Ottobar until the day of the show.  I guess next time through they will be playing a smaller venue. 

hutch

« Reply #4962 on: April 03, 2013, 10:17:39 am »
So Best Coast Show was last night.  They played 40 minutes set and didn't do an encore.  Perhaps this is why they didn't sell-out the Ottobar until the day of the show.  I guess next time through they will be playing a smaller venue. 

The next time through they are playing the Patriot Center.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4963 on: April 03, 2013, 10:31:37 am »
they played for an hour.
their songs are short.

(_|_)

atomicfront

« Reply #4964 on: April 03, 2013, 11:19:37 am »
they played for an hour.
their songs are short.

They didn't play for an hour.  They started at 10:40 and ended at 11:23.  That is not an hour.