Author Topic: Tommy Keene  (Read 4235 times)

profile14

Tommy Keene
« on: March 26, 2009, 05:21:40 pm »
Any of you old enough to remember when Tommy Keene ruled the 9:30? Well, he's playing at Iota and I was wondering if anyone had any intel on what stuff he's playing on this tour. I know he has a newish CD, and I'm going to go no matter what, but I'll be disappointed if he doesn't delve into his old catalog. Also anyone know who's in the band? Ted Nicely on bass? Billy?

edbert

Re: Tommy Keene
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 10:43:13 am »
Ted Nicely?  I don't think he's played in a band in like 20 years.  He went to culinary college and left DC to work as a chef somewhere.
Any killer hooks on Tommy's new CD?

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 06:53:41 pm »
i got tommy playing at johnny brenda's in philly.  i haven't seen him in years, so i can't say what he's been playing recently, but i have been talking to him and he told me it will be a mix of old and new.  my friend saw him in philly two years ago and said it was power-pop heaven.  i'm looking forward to it.

are you guys aware that tommy toured with bob pollard's band last year?

Bags

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »
When is he at Iota?

He still plays with Bob Pollard, has been on the last few albums (and is a member of Boston Spaceships, Pollard's recent band), and is, of course, part of The Keene Brothers.

And he is platinum all on his own.  Will definitely go see him if at all possible...

profile14

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:21:28 pm »
He's at Iota May 1, $12. No advance tix there, tho, so you have to get there early.
I knew Ted went to cooking school and heard somewhere that he was producing records in London. I guess I was just reminiscing and longing for a reunion of the original band.
New album sounds great, unmistakably Tommy.

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 08:43:11 pm »
Any killer hooks on Tommy's new CD?

i got a promo copy of it, and it didn't leave my car stereo for three days.  starts off kinda mediocre, but gets better with every song. last two songs are amazing and totally addictive.

tommy hasn't lost a step. go see him if you're a fan.

edbert

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 09:26:52 am »
Can anyone tell whether he's gonna have a band or not?  Nowadays these singer-songwriter guys like to just show up solo with an acoustic guitar to save money, if they can get away with it

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 08:49:39 pm »
tommy is definitely touring with a band.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:14:02 pm »
I think it's even listed as the Tommy Keene Band.

tommy is definitely touring with a band.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 08:53:33 pm »
tommy played here last night.  the crowd was a measly 28, but they played for 75 minutes, and it was solid.  the guy is the quintessential power-pop songsmith.  the band is tight, tommy's vocals never sounded better, and the new songs rule.  a completely satisfying show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:03:20 am »
too bad it's at IOTA...thinking about that venue makes me super tired for some reason.

tommy played here last night.  the crowd was a measly 28, but they played for 75 minutes, and it was solid.  the guy is the quintessential power-pop songsmith.  the band is tight, tommy's vocals never sounded better, and the new songs rule.  a completely satisfying show.
(_|_)

Bags

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 11:22:59 am »
Snailhook, where are you?  Tommy got a great write up in the weekend section today.  Think this makes it at all possible this show will sell out (alas, my gut says no).

Listening to the new album now, really like it.

snailhook

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 12:31:37 am »
i live in philly now.  booking at johnny brenda's.