Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179800 times)

James Ford

Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #3465 on: May 23, 2014, 08:45:33 pm »
delete

James Ford

« Reply #3466 on: May 23, 2014, 08:46:13 pm »
I think you should stay at a hotel/motel near the airport Thursday night. And leave your car parked there while you're gone. The hotels charge about half of what long term parking at DCA does and maybe they'll even give you a better deal if you stay overnight.

For those of you familiar with the traffic heading into DC from the south, I need some help with planning a trip from Richmond to DCA.  I have a flight out of DCA this Friday at 11:45am.  MapQuest gives travel time as 1 hour 47 minutes, however that does not factor in the time of day and any associated traffic.  Assuming i would want to be at DCA by about 10:30 am Friday, what would be an appropriate time to leave Richmond?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3467 on: May 23, 2014, 09:04:53 pm »
41 fucking tweets today by the 9:30 club...

Yeah the twitter take over by Kelis and Micheal Ian Black totally unnecessary, they need a separate twitter account for such nonsense. 
T.Rex

hutch

« Reply #3468 on: May 23, 2014, 09:20:00 pm »
I think you should stay at a hotel/motel near the airport Thursday night. And leave your car parked there while you're gone. The hotels charge about half of what long term parking at DCA does and maybe they'll even give you a better deal if you stay overnight.

not a bad idea

or what about taking the train up...and then cabbing it to DCA? not sure what the train schedule is...

driving in the morning into DC on 95 sounds like a real bad time to me....

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3469 on: May 23, 2014, 10:04:14 pm »
Just checked with Amtrak and I can get a train to Union Station for just $33 that will arrive at 9:00 am.  Further checking the metro maps, I can hop the red line form Union to La'Enfant, switch to the yellow line and that to DCA.  Total ride time on the metro is 22 minutes.  Allow 30 minutes or so for waiting and that will put me at DCA about 10:00.  I think that may just be the way to go. 
FUKIT

hutch

« Reply #3470 on: May 23, 2014, 10:07:43 pm »
Just checked with Amtrak and I can get a train to Union Station for just $33 that will arrive at 9:00 am.  Further checking the metro maps, I can hop the red line form Union to La'Enfant, switch to the yellow line and that to DCA.  Total ride time on the metro is 22 minutes.  Allow 30 minutes or so for waiting and that will put me at DCA about 10:00.  I think that may just be the way to go. 

yeah that's the stuff! and think about all the good you're doing the environment by not driving!

:)

« Reply #3471 on: May 23, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
I was driving from DC to Stafford around 8AM to get there at 9Am and it was literately a parking lot on the otherside from Stafford north.  
I'd get another opinion, but I think you'll be sitting in a ton of traffic.
I think the idea of getting a hotel night before would be cheaper than parking your car in long term parking.
Then you can just have breakfast an leisurely spend 15-30 mins getting to the airport.
The idea of spending 2-3 hours in traffic before flying sounds dreadful

Also taking 301 to MD is not a bad idea a that time
no traffic it's 40 mins more, with traffic I think it's probably less and less stressful
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3472 on: May 23, 2014, 10:10:53 pm »
I literally could not imagine doing this trek and leaving after 6am. This is literally the absolute worst time to try and fly outta Reagen.

EDIT: Missed the train idea. Would definitely do that.
LVMH

atomic

« Reply #3473 on: May 23, 2014, 11:44:41 pm »

I used to take the Marc and switched at union station to the metro.  This was 10 years ago but it was a cluster f' to get from the train to the metro basically way too many people going from one point to another and then you usually couldn't get on the first subway car and had to wait for another one to come.  I couldn't imagine doing it with luggage.  Realize people will have zero concern for your well being.   I would take a cab from union station.  Certainly shouldn't take and hour at that time.

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3474 on: May 23, 2014, 11:47:24 pm »
Just got a call and the trip has been delayed until Saturday.  I might still take Amtrak to DC though since I would have to be dropped off meaning someone driving me there and then driving back to Richmond.  I will look into the price of a cab from Union to DCA though.  Might end up doing that.
FUKIT

James Ford

« Reply #3475 on: May 27, 2014, 08:39:16 am »
Here's a pet peeve I bet others out there share...

It is so exasperating when adults and older teens ride their bikes on the city sidewalks and expect walkers to clear out of their way. I mean, if it's a little kid on a bike, fine. I'd want my little kid to ride on the sidewalk for safety. But if you're an adult, or the size of an adult, you're old enough to be riding your bike on the road.

This was taken to new level last weekend, when we were walking from Nats Park to eat at Matchbox in Cap Hill. Our family of three was walking on the sidewalk, when we heard a cyclist approaching us from behind, demanding in a loud voice that we move out of the way. We did, stood for 20 seconds off to the side of the sidewalk as the cyclist approached and passed (the street was void of traffic by the way). The cyclist was met with a barrage of profanities from my wife after he passed (which, trust me, is never fun), but he just seemed to ignore it and keep going.

stevewizzle

« Reply #3476 on: May 27, 2014, 09:18:05 am »
cyclists are pretty much the scum of the earth when it comes to road and sidewalk etiquette. and sure, someone will chime in and say "well, it's one or two bad apples that make a bad name for all", which is total bullshit. for every one good cyclist, i see two cyclists who go about their travels like they are committing some sort of long-form suicide.

atomic

« Reply #3477 on: May 27, 2014, 10:10:47 am »
Here's a pet peeve I bet others out there share...

It is so exasperating when adults and older teens ride their bikes on the city sidewalks and expect walkers to clear out of their way. I mean, if it's a little kid on a bike, fine. I'd want my little kid to ride on the sidewalk for safety. But if you're an adult, or the size of an adult, you're old enough to be riding your bike on the road.

This was taken to new level last weekend, when we were walking from Nats Park to eat at Matchbox in Cap Hill. Our family of three was walking on the sidewalk, when we heard a cyclist approaching us from behind, demanding in a loud voice that we move out of the way. We did, stood for 20 seconds off to the side of the sidewalk as the cyclist approached and passed (the street was void of traffic by the way). The cyclist was met with a barrage of profanities from my wife after he passed (which, trust me, is never fun), but he just seemed to ignore it and keep going.

If I were riding a bike in DC i would ride on the sidewalk.  People in cars are only concerned with their self in DC.  In Munich they have part of the sidewalk marked for bicyclists maybe they could do the same in DC.  Generally in this are bicyclists don't pay attention to any rules of the road and automobiles consider them enemies.  It really annoys me when Bicyclists run red lights. 

atomic

« Reply #3478 on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:54 am »
Oh and where are your photos James Ford, Julian, GGW, wml7 etc?

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3479 on: May 27, 2014, 10:47:42 am »
The problem I have with many cyclists on campus is that they ride with the same mentality of an 8-year-old on a cul-de-sac. Of course for most of them, being 8 years old wasn't so long ago.
😐 🎶