Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1691741 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #6660 on: March 02, 2022, 04:08:04 pm »
26,000 users, with 70 new signups daily.

https://forum.930.com/index.php?action=stats

wow... all of these years and I've never seen that page. Looks like I'm hall of fame material.

You're a top ten poster (by volume). I'd make the list if it was top ten by quality.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6661 on: March 02, 2022, 04:08:42 pm »
67 users currently online.
Max of 85 today.

Male to Female ratio: 5.9 to 1

Which brings up an interesting point...were we asked to identify our gender?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6662 on: March 02, 2022, 04:18:42 pm »

my guess is the bboard has an AI that can ID gender based on sexual/sexist content, number of posts in the beer thread, and degree of obsession with unknown bands (lily1 threw that last part of the algorithm for a loop, but otherwise holds...)
<sig>

« Reply #6663 on: March 02, 2022, 04:20:55 pm »

my guess is the bboard has an AI that can ID gender based on sexual/sexist content, number of posts in the beer thread, and degree of obsession with unknown bands (lily1 threw that last part of the algorithm for a loop, but otherwise holds...)
Nice!...I'm sure this board has AI
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6664 on: March 02, 2022, 04:26:15 pm »
seriously tho: https://forum.930.com/index.php?action=profile;area=forumprofile

mine is blank, never filled it in... genderless!!!  how does that contribute to the 5.9:1 ratio?
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6665 on: March 02, 2022, 04:31:24 pm »
You see it whenever 930 mentions the forum in their communication (like they did during covid about the ticket exchange forum) the influx of people making accounts.

i suspect that 90%+ of those accounts have less than 3 logins.  comm goes out, rando gets inspired and creates an account, sees what sort of inside-baseball weirdos hang out here, realize that more than half of JA - the only useful part of the board - is banter, and never come back.

another group of one-timers: folks needing to buy or sell a ticket, only.  might not even visit General Discussion.

hey @kosmo, can i get read-only access to the db?  i could answer these questions...

also @kosmo - can we get @ to work?  polls and likes would be awesome to... we'd be caught up to 2002 standards!
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6666 on: March 02, 2022, 04:34:38 pm »
realize that more than half of JA - the only useful part of the board - is banter, and never come back.
My marketing team tells actually tells me the data shows that Julian's America creates a certain experiential stickiness and the average person reads 15.6 of my posts after coming in contact with a single Julian's America article. Your contention is very not true.
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6667 on: March 02, 2022, 04:35:50 pm »
realize that more than half of JA - the only useful part of the board - is banter, and never come back.
My marketing team tells actually tells me the data shows that Julian's America creates a certain experiential stickiness and the average person reads 15.6 of my posts after coming in contact with a single Julian's America article. Your contention is very not true.

this is the kind of inside baseball that drives people away i was referring to :)
<sig>

« Reply #6668 on: March 02, 2022, 04:36:17 pm »

wow... all of these years and I've never seen that page. Looks like I'm hall of fame material.

You're a top ten poster (by volume). I'd make the list if it was top ten by quality.
I think this brings up an important debate: how much credence should our User-Curated Hall of Fame give to "counting" stats vs actual impact? We need some sort of analytical way of measuring value -- a content creation above replacement, if you will. Smackie, any thoughts?
LVMH

« Reply #6669 on: March 02, 2022, 04:37:36 pm »

this is the kind of inside baseball that drives people away i was referring to :)
This is coming from someone clearly caught in my (experiential) stickiness who feels compelled to respond to my post, though. So . . .
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6670 on: March 02, 2022, 04:48:40 pm »

I think this brings up an important debate: how much credence should our User-Curated Hall of Fame give to "counting" stats vs actual impact? We need some sort of analytical way of measuring value -- a content creation above replacement, if you will. Smackie, any thoughts?

So you're arguing against the integer thread?

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6671 on: March 02, 2022, 04:48:58 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6672 on: March 02, 2022, 04:50:39 pm »
This is coming from someone clearly caught in my (experiential) stickiness who feels compelled to respond to my post, though. So . . .

hate to break this to you, buddy, but i reply to a lot of people's posts. 

in summary: you're not special. 
<sig>

« Reply #6673 on: March 02, 2022, 04:51:19 pm »
So you're arguing against the integer thread?
I don't think you apply concepts like "Halls of Fame" to artistic endeavors in the first place.
LVMH

« Reply #6674 on: March 02, 2022, 05:21:35 pm »
in summary: you're not special.
Do we have a 'no duh' thread?
slack