Author Topic: World Cup 2010  (Read 53418 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
World Cup 2010
« on: March 02, 2010, 08:15:39 pm »
100 days until the World Cup.

wo0t.

we currently don't own a TV, we generally watch stuff online (hulu, etc).  we've just bought a house and i'm in charge of lining up internet access.  normally we'd get internet access only, but the world cup is the only reason my wife would support bundling HDTV with internet.  i'm thinking fios, since we're eligible.

who will be broadcasting the WC?  wanna make sure i get the right channel(s).

will anyone be streaming it online in HD?  maybe a subscription service?
<sig>

vansmack

Re: World Cup 2010
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2010, 08:40:18 pm »
ESPN has the rights and every match will be in HD on ESPN/ESPN2.  It should also be available online from ESPN360 for those internet providers that allow for it.  FIFA also offered a pay package online for 2006, so the ESPN360 stuff may not be available, but expect one or the other.

A number of matches will also be available in 3D on an ESPN channel.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 08:42:03 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2010, 08:47:05 pm »
For those up for it, Ive cancelled my South Africa plans and instead will be watching a number of matches in the country of the teams playing.

We're starting in London for the England-USA match, working our way across Western Europe (some combination of Holland/Gemany/France/Italy) on our way to Slovenia for USA-Slovenia, then back across Western Europe to get to probably Spain.

The Algeria match is currently under consideration for a trip to Algeirs.  It's going to take some convincing though....

Smackette is not coming along this year, so if anybody wants to be my roomie, send a photo to my email address.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2010, 10:11:42 pm »
thanks for the info about ESPN, smackie.  nice to know we won't need a fancy cable package to get the tournament.

A number of matches will also be available in 3D on an ESPN channel.

3d???  special glasses required?

would love to join you in your euro-romp, but can't swing the time off  :'(

do consider adding algiers to your travels.  very interesting place.  not sure how loudly you'd be able to cheer for the american team, tho.
<sig>

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:56:18 am »
It's still just professional kickball and the 2nd most boring sport behind golf!
FUKIT

godsshoeshine

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 09:33:11 am »
the venue should be interesting. brazil and argentina are the only teams to have won the world cup away from their own continent. i was hearing arguments that the ivory coast is overhyped coming in, but if the get guus, the tune might change

i liked england's chances of doing some damage, but man their back line has taken a fall the past couple of months. and they still dont have a keeper worth a damn...

u.s.a. has some expectations, but injuries have really exposed the lack of depth
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 02:40:06 pm »
so, what are some good bars to watch the mundial in DC/MD/VA?

in 2006 my standby was Lucky Bar.  was very convenient as i lived a 10 minute walk away (20-25 minute stumble on the way back).  great atmosphere at times (england-portugal was EPIC), but not the best viewing - i'm not a fan of their projection screen and when the place is packed, sight-lines aren't always good.

someone suggested http://www.publicbardc.com/ although reviews say that it's expensive and service is atrocious.  maybe the WC will them in a better mood.

anyone even been to Nellie's Sports Bar, at 9th and U?

(should we discuss the world cup here or in "on the eve of a new season"?  dunno if the regulars of that thread want to pollute it with non-european league chatter :D)
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 02:46:20 pm »
I think its a great idea to talk about it here...

Lucky Bar was kind of a mess but had great atmosphere..

I'm interested in watching it via the internet... at the moment we're using/mooching some neighbor's wireless  though so I have no idea if it would work..

hutch

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 02:54:46 pm »
Summer's in Arlington right by the Courthouse Metro is a major concentration point for soccer fans... The decor though is kind of blah

godsshoeshine

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »
my boom boom room. everything reclines
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 03:20:04 pm »
I'm interested in watching it via the internet... at the moment we're using/mooching some neighbor's wireless  though so I have no idea if it would work..

per smackie's post above, ESPN3 (http://espn.go.com/espn3/index/_/sport/soccer-futbol, formerly ESPN360.com) will be streaming games, but you need an account with a high-speed ISP: http://espn.go.com/espn3/faq#4 so that might not work.

there are bound to be lots of illegal streams.

my boom boom room. everything reclines

are they accepting reservations?
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 03:32:27 pm »
I just tried the espn used to be 360 link up above and hit watch live and it started playing the french open (venus!)

does that mean i should be able to watch the world cup games just like that? seems too easy

I'm a stay at home dad with a 7 month old which is why I'm particularly interested in this..

I have a friend who plans to open up a bar for us to watch the games but the games at 7:30 am are too early and ideally I dont' want to go to a bar with the stroller at 10 am every day! although for key games i'll do what it takes..

I note the June 12 USA- England I'll be watching it at the Irish Times by Union Station...so thats something..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 03:40:08 pm »
I just tried the espn used to be 360 link up above and hit watch live and it started playing the french open (venus!)

does that mean i should be able to watch the world cup games just like that? seems too easy

hum.  maybe the ESPN3 system recognizes that your (i.e. your neighbor's) connection is through a participating ISP and you have access that way?  it worked for me without logging in, and i'm on a participating ISP.

PDF schedule, in case someone doesn't already have it: http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/64/42/24/2010fwc_matchschedule_3004_en.pdf.  game times in the top-right corner of each square, south africa is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Time.
<sig>

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:37 pm »
good point, i'll likely watch the weekend games live (at least the two early ones) and dvr one a day during the week. i always seem to pick wrong when i do that though
o/\o

lagas

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2010, 03:44:45 pm »
I read that some guys want to show the US vs England game in Dupont Circle...that could be fun...
zorra