Author Topic: What Are You Listening To?  (Read 2122151 times)

Re: What Are You Listening To?
« Reply #8310 on: April 15, 2020, 12:45:51 pm »
do you mean gram parsons or alan parsons?
D'oh...gram
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #8311 on: April 15, 2020, 12:59:21 pm »
^  thanks and thanks

I highly recommend not starting your Prine journey with a bunch of fake folk artists.

Depends on the listener. I played the Prine Anthology, and the rest of my family  literally screamed at me to "turn that shit off."

If I play the tribute album, I predict one person probably tolerates it and the other probably likes it.

Your 12 year old daughter's music taste is not valid and I'm pretty sure your wife will think most of these artists are some Jack Johnson wanna be mother fuckers.

I remember being 12. Whatever your dad likes sucks. Of course, she does listen to some of what her mom likes.

My wife is familiar with most of those "faux folk" artists. Mostly thanks to me.

Space Freely

« Reply #8312 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:52 pm »
Now that’s just sad

This is a common occurrence. Be it John Prine, Tom Waits, Leonard Cohen, Bob Dylan, Lucinda Williams, Gillian Welch, Iris Dement, Gram Parsons, etc (this especially goes for classic country and pre-Green Day punk)....I'm told I'm listening to "old white guy" music, and that I like artists of that ilk "because I'm told that's what's good."

« Reply #8313 on: April 19, 2020, 09:12:51 am »
Fiona, stop trying to make fetch happen
slack

hutch

« Reply #8314 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:01 am »
Elvin Jones - Dear John C

Pretty beat up original white label...I think this record is pretty hard to come by but you can probably stream it for free

I finally have grouped my Impulse Records LP issues together...been wanting to do that for years

dyecraig

« Reply #8315 on: April 19, 2020, 11:16:22 am »
Curtis Mayfield - Curtis Live!

They had this playing on repeat up at Levon Helm's barn studio before a Midnight Ramble I attended years ago.

hutch

« Reply #8316 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:01 pm »
Curtis is so inspirational

I been listening to a lot of Thelonious Monk not Monster lately

I also been reading a bit about him

What a kooky cat...

I definitely have a lot more time to listen to music...digging out stuff I haven’t heard in years..some of it I don’t think I ever heard

dyecraig

« Reply #8317 on: April 19, 2020, 01:37:57 pm »
This month's Guided by Voices album - Surrender Your poppy field. They usually take about 4 or 5 spins before they start clicking for me.

hutch

« Reply #8318 on: April 19, 2020, 01:40:29 pm »
I think this GBV album is great..Cul de Sac Kids was the first song to grab me

WALKonBack

« Reply #8319 on: April 19, 2020, 09:09:37 pm »
New Def Leppard's b sides and rarities album, "too many jitterbugs."  darn good.  'bringing on the heartbreak' . . . is taking me there.

« Reply #8320 on: April 19, 2020, 10:39:44 pm »
'bringing on the heartbreak' . . . is taking me there.
I remember being a tween hatch in 82 and seeing that video and I'm going to be honest, it moved me
I can't really remember why, but whenever it came on MTV, it was a very visceral feeling. Pyromania came out the next year and was the only thing I wanted for my 12th birthday

I just found out Mariah Carey did a cover of it in 2002?!?
slack

dyecraig

« Reply #8321 on: April 19, 2020, 11:51:35 pm »
'bringing on the heartbreak' . . . is taking me there.
I remember being a tween hatch in 82 and seeing that video and I'm going to be honest, it moved me
I can't really remember why, but whenever it came on MTV, it was a very visceral feeling. Pyromania came out the next year and was the only thing I wanted for my 12th birthday

I just found out Mariah Carey did a cover of it in 2002?!?

I saw them headline a show at Jiffy Lube a few years back with Tesla and somebody else and they were totally entertaining and rocking. Cougars were going bananas.

dyecraig

« Reply #8322 on: April 19, 2020, 11:53:42 pm »
^ Styx, they were completely weak sauce. So much plastic surgery on one stage, totally frightening.

dyecraig

« Reply #8323 on: April 19, 2020, 11:56:09 pm »
^ the very same line up came back the following year with REO Chuck Wagon in the Styx slot.
Pass pass pass.

dyecraig

« Reply #8324 on: April 19, 2020, 11:59:19 pm »
^ I'm sure the folks that will admit to being boomers had a lovely time. I, however, will continue my charade of youthfulness.