Author Topic: Sarah McLachlan Roll Call  (Read 2960 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Sarah McLachlan Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 09:13:00 am »
some thoughts...

the show was a bit like pretty wallpaper nice to listen to in the background but nothing to get overly excited about, which is the point i guess.  sarah's got an amazing voice and some stellar songs but not much is really added by the concert experience.  now if i was completely focused on the show, if it was the only show i went to all summer, and hadn't been pining for a good nights sleep, it would be a better show.  personally, put her on a cool double bill with a shorter, less filler set it might be worth a second look.  otherwise, i'll be content with the occasional spin at home.  still dig the remixes over the orginials sometimes...
T.Rex

wxdude

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 02:07:00 pm »
I thought is was a great show.  I was pleasantly surprised she did so many songs from Fumbling Towards Ecstasy (about six I think).  I loved the version she did of Hold On, and of course Possession was great.

Jagernaut

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 02:17:00 pm »
I really enjoyed the show.  Nice long encore, too, not to mention the secondary encore.

redsock

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 04:57:00 pm »
The real question is, how does Butterfly pronounce her last name? If it's "Bow-cher" then she should be hung from a tree. I don't care if she is Australian, it's "Boo-chez!!!" I've heard both used before regarding her. I will say this, heard her doing a cover of Bowie's 'Changes' on XM, and it wasn't bad. That being said, if she pronounces her name wrong, to hell with her.

Jaguär

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 12:21:00 am »
Have to admit that Sarah McLachlan is one of my guilty pleasures. With that said, I wouldn't go out of my way to see her perform now but wouldn't avoid her either. I think everyone above has summed her up pretty well.

A couple years ago I mentioned on this very forum that I liked her and got all kinds of shit for it and it wasn't from our man Guiny.

eros

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 09:21:00 am »
From the Post...ouch.

"Since we regularly slam Nissan Pavilion in this space for its odious parking, let's examine the Merriweather Post experience. Ushers sent ticket holders to the wrong side of the arena; the unreasonable $20 ATM limit carries an offensive $4 charge; food was limited to sushi and pretzels at three of four stalls; overflowing toilets sent women to the paperless men's rooms. Contempt for the fans was palpable."
ʎɐʍou

thirsty moore

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 09:29:00 am »
Chowda, not showdair.

Originally posted by redsock:
  The real question is, how does Butterfly pronounce her last name? If it's "Bow-cher" then she should be hung from a tree. I don't care if she is Australian, it's "Boo-chez!!!" I've heard both used before regarding her. I will say this, heard her doing a cover of Bowie's 'Changes' on XM, and it wasn't bad. That being said, if she pronounces her name wrong, to hell with her.

eltee

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 11:30:00 am »
Originally posted by redsock:
  The real question is, how does Butterfly pronounce her last name? If it's "Bow-cher" then she should be hung from a tree.  
From what I've heard, yes.

Bags

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 03:15:00 pm »
Since they mention Natalie Merchant, she was on the Letterman show with Bill Clinton.  She is now completely intolerable to watch, with her balletic, hippie arm twirls and very annoying demeanor.

washingtonpost.com
 MUSIC
 Friday, August 13, 2004; Page C03

Sarah McLachlan

Canadian songstress Sarah McLachlan made a name for herself as a folk-pop singer-songwriter beginning in the late 1980s until a hiatus after her Lilith Fair tours and the birth of her daughter, India, a few years ago.

She's back to work now, and Wednesday night in her first Merriweather Post appearance since 1999, the three-time Grammy winner pointed to a new direction in her career, one that positions her firmly on the rosters of Adult Alternative radio stations that thrive on the sort of emotional, mid-tempo balladry of Natalie Merchant and Tori Amos. Any rootsy folk aspects of her music now are buried beneath layers of major-chord pop, where the melodic hooks are spaced far, far apart during the 4 1/2- minute numbers.

Backed by a seven-piece band -- including two keyboards and two electric guitars -- McLachlan sang flawlessly, demonstrating a remarkable vocal range on pleasant songs such as "Falling," "Adia" and "I Will Remember You." She played acoustic guitar, electric guitar and grand piano (sadly drowned out by too much reverb) with confidence. But her biggest attribute is her charm. She addressed the audience several times with heartfelt thanks for being there and candid explanations of the songs, and she playfully waved to fans holding signs, making friends with each smile.

Charm was necessary on this night. Since we regularly slam Nissan Pavilion in this space for its odious parking, let's examine the Merriweather Post experience. Ushers sent ticket holders to the wrong side of the arena; the unreasonable $20 ATM limit carries an offensive $4 charge; food was limited to sushi and pretzels at three of four stalls; overflowing toilets sent women to the paperless men's rooms. Contempt for the fans was palpable.

-- Buzz McClain

Jaguär

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2004, 01:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bagalicious Tangster:
  Since they mention Natalie Merchant, she was on the Letterman show with Bill Clinton.  She is now completely intolerable to watch, with her balletic, hippie arm twirls and very annoying demeanor.

She has always annoyed me from day 1 when she was with 10,000 Maniacs. Name aside, to me she always looked like some older woman who worked in a pychiatric facility. I think it was the shoes and the hair. Granted, she has a nice voice but I just can't tolerate her.