Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901291 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #1470 on: February 06, 2009, 03:09:49 pm »
$239?  Can't beat that.

Jump on that, buy a 2GB RAM chip to throw in there for $40 $20 and you'll be styling.  If you need a USB flash drive to put Win or Mac OS, get one of those too (4GB).

You might also want to get a 4/8/16GB SDHC to keep all your personal files on and to transfer between your desktop to your netbook.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:19:41 pm by vansmack »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1471 on: February 06, 2009, 03:11:09 pm »
27>34

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1472 on: February 06, 2009, 03:17:31 pm »
$239?  Can't beat that.

Jump on that, buy a 2GB RAM chip to throw in there for $40 $20 and you'll be styling.  If you need a USB flash drive to put Win or Mac OS, get one of those too (4GB).

You might also want to get a 4/8/16GB SDHC to keep all your personal files on and to transfer between your desktop to your netbook.

would it be easy to add XP to this if i wanted to?
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #1473 on: February 06, 2009, 03:18:59 pm »
would it be easy to add XP to this if i wanted to?

Yes, I can help you with that.  Or Windows 7....

This is a good forum for you to peruse...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 03:22:26 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #1474 on: February 06, 2009, 03:19:57 pm »
I saw it out there on the internet somewhere. Thinking that it might not quite have been legal for me to download it, I decided not to.

I think this is already out.

Import only?

vansmack

« Reply #1475 on: February 06, 2009, 03:28:47 pm »
Hoya, I should also tell you that a few colleagues of mine have that machine and love it.  They're coming out with a 10 inch version soon so the 9inch versions are coming down in price.  The only main difference between that and the dell is one hour of battery life and it's a little more difficult to upgrade the RAM, but that's a one time job...
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #1476 on: February 06, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »
I saw it out there on the internet somewhere. Thinking that it might not quite have been legal for me to download it, I decided not to.

I think this is already out.

Import only?

Yup import at the moment.... In the US the release date is 3/3/09 per
http://worlds-fair.net/hollywood_mon_amour/

There some "promo" MP3s floating around at the moment...
T.Rex

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #1477 on: February 06, 2009, 04:06:15 pm »
Hoya, I should also tell you that a few colleagues of mine have that machine and love it.  They're coming out with a 10 inch version soon so the 9inch versions are coming down in price.  The only main difference between that and the dell is one hour of battery life and it's a little more difficult to upgrade the RAM, but that's a one time job...

thanks to your encouragement, i just pulled the trigger.

tech purchase endorphin rush streaming into my brain.

need to lay down, rub gums.
(o|o)

vansmack

« Reply #1478 on: February 06, 2009, 04:10:38 pm »
thanks to your encouragement, i just pulled the trigger.

I have probably convinced 20 people to get a netbook and not once has someone sent it back or sold it (and each one of them paid $100-$150 more than you paid). I would be shocked if you were the first to do so.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1479 on: February 10, 2009, 08:32:47 pm »

Well, that only took a year:

Sirius XM Rate Increase For March 11th CONFIRMED

But this on the other hand surprised even me!  I knew Echostar bought XM's debt the other day, but I'm shocked they're forcing a takeover...

Sirius XM Prepares Bankruptcy Filing

February 11, 2009

By ZACHERY KOUWE

Sirius XM Satellite Radio has been working with advisers to prepare for a possible bankruptcy filing in a move that could put pressure on the satellite company EchoStar, which owns a substantial amount of the company?s debt.

Sirius has been working with the restructuring expert Joseph A. Bondi of Alvarez & Marsal and the bankruptcy lawyer Mark Thompson of Simpson, Thatcher & Bartlett to help prepare a Chapter 11 filing, people close to the company said. The documents and analysis are close to being completed and a filing could come within days, according to a person familiar with the matter.

Sirius, whose radio stars include the popular shock jock Howard Stern, has also been working with the investment bank Evercore Partners.

Charles Ergen, who controls a satellite-television empire including the Dish Network Corporation and EchoStar, recently acquired the majority of a $300 million tranche of Sirius debt that matures next Tuesday.

Since the news about the debt purchase has emerged, questions have surfaced over whether Mr. Ergen will make a bid to purchase Sirius. The threat of a possible bankruptcy filing could force Mr. Ergen to make a formal offer for the company now if he doesn?t want to go through an auction in bankruptcy court.

It could also compel Mr. Ergen to agree to convert his debt into an ownership stake in Sirius at a higher price than he originally considered.

With more than $5 billion in assets, Sirius would be second-largest company to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection so far this year, according to the research firm Capital IQ?s database. The Smurfit-Stone Container Corporation, which had more than $7 billion in assets when it filed in late January, was the biggest so far.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1480 on: February 11, 2009, 03:30:59 pm »

New Order - Temptation

One of my favorite videos of all time, I was pleased to stumble across the back story the other day and thought I would share...

The Making of "The Temptation of Victoria"
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1481 on: February 13, 2009, 03:11:48 am »
Ladies and gentlemen, pitchers and catchers have reported.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #1483 on: February 15, 2009, 04:17:37 pm »
what about the hp mini 1000xp smackie/boardies?

Love it.  My favorite netbook.  I needed a laptop for the campaign, so I went with the Dell because the HP wasn't out yet (plus I had other Dell incentives), but if I were to buy another netbook, I would buy the HP with the 10 inch screen and the 16GB SSD.  The only downside is the 3 hour battery compared to the Dell 4 hour battery, but the bigger keyboard and the bigger screen will be far more valuable in total then having 4 hour battery life (unless you fly a lot, I suppose).

One thing to note - if you want to save a few bucks, buy the 512MB RAM and then upgrade to 2GB RAM from Newegg for the same price HP charges for 1GB (Microsoft prohibits netbooks from having more than 1GB from the manufacturer).  Upgrading the RAM is a piece of cake.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 04:23:01 pm by vansmack »
27>34

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #1484 on: February 15, 2009, 04:45:37 pm »
One thing to note - if you want to save a few bucks, buy the 512MB RAM and then upgrade to 2GB RAM from Newegg for the same price HP charges for 1GB (Microsoft prohibits netbooks from having more than 1GB from the manufacturer).  Upgrading the RAM is a piece of cake.

Hmmm....My notebook had 3GBs of RAM from the manufacturer. It's a Sony Vaio and I love it. Just wish I would have waited a few months to get the one with the bigger harddrive and better sound card. But I did manage to get it just before my monitor died on my desktop so I guess all worked out for me.