Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902805 times)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2175 on: February 17, 2011, 01:43:21 pm »
it was pretty damn entertaining.

indeed

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2176 on: February 17, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »
I'll be recording this - I'm very interested to see how the super computer fares:

Humans had a good run: Watson to Debut on Jeopardy tonight

Today, tomorrow, and the 16th are the fateful days: IBM's Watson supercomputer will go head to head with Brad Rutter and Ken Jennings in this silly, human-devised game we call Jeopardy. It promises to be some kickass TV, at the very least, and a historic event if Watson can prevail over his fleshy competition. The two matches, which are being spread over the three days, were pre-taped, so Ken, Brad, Alex and Watson already know the outcome, but they've done a pretty good job of keeping the secret so far. Hopefully they can keep mum until 7pm-ish this evening (check your local listings for a specific time).

I eagerly watched both nights and was severly disappointed because:

1.  The first two nights were basically infomercials for IBM and how wonderful they are.
2.  John Connor didn't time warp and make a run at Watson with a baseball bat yelling "I must destroy SKYNET!"
3.  Watson didn't start playing Tic-Tac-Toe with itself.

I think Rutter (South Central PA!  REPRESENT!) and Jennings would have gotten a lot closer but a lot of success at Jeopardy is your buzzing in skills.  Once Jennings figured that out he came close to beating Watson the second game.
One of the bottlenecks is voice recognition.  And I think Watson had a distinct advantage in that respect.  It takes humans a second or two to comprehend, like: A post by Walkie....oh....it's homosexual innuendo...and/or a Cat picture...   Watson was parsing the question and had thousands of possibilities before the two humans understood the question.

In terms of answers, two things I thought were funny:

1.  The show displays what Watson thinks are the best three answers. For the Beatles category answer: "Bang bang" his "silver hammer came down upon her head", Watson correctly answered "Maxwell's Silver Hammer".

However, Watson's second best answer?

"Frank Sinatra"

2.  Anyone could write a program that would instruct the computer, if the question category was "U.S. Cities", to NOT guess a city that wasn't in the United States.

But seriously, a 15 year-old texting on a Droid to Wikipedia could have probably beaten all three. 

And in terms of the human race...well...this could be it, for us monkeys.  Game over!  Smoke 'em if you got 'em, turn on the black light and "Dark Side of the Moon" and wait patiently for singularity.

However, a computer will NEVER be able to cleverly make a funny "Simpsons" reference in a "Final Jeopardy" answer.

NEVER!

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #2177 on: February 17, 2011, 02:09:44 pm »

If the programmers had any sense of humor, just one answer when it was clear Watson was dominating should have been "How about a nice game of chess?" and then just start laughing...

I agree - the clear advantage watson had was it's "reflex ability" programming which allowed it to ring in substantially more often than a human could.  That was clear from the first day.
27>34

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2178 on: February 17, 2011, 03:28:34 pm »

http://www.slate.com/id/2284721/

Ken Jennings clearly has a GREAT sense of humor:

"I understood then why the engineers wanted to beat me so badly: To them, I wasn't the good guy, playing for the human race. That was Watson's role, as a symbol and product of human innovation and ingenuity. So my defeat at the hands of a machine has a happy ending, after all. At least until the whole system becomes sentient and figures out the nuclear launch codes. But I figure that's years away."

Brian

vansmack

« Reply #2179 on: February 17, 2011, 03:45:51 pm »
That's fantastic.
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #2180 on: February 17, 2011, 03:50:52 pm »
this is from a friend of mine who was on jeopardy and played against Ken. Im rather curious tho how it worked out (if things were the same) with Watson playing.

The comment is in regards to how he did against Ken (the not so well).....

Not so well - I think most people who go on the show know the answers to most of the questions but the real key is perfecting the timing on buzzing in. What you can't see on TV is that there is a light around the outside of the board. If you try and buzz in before the light goes out you are locked out for half a second or so - so you have to try and anticipate when the light is going to go out if you want to buzz in first - I guess I didn't play enough video games to have the correct hand-eye coordination!

If the programmers had any sense of humor, just one answer when it was clear Watson was dominating should have been "How about a nice game of chess?" and then just start laughing...

I agree - the clear advantage watson had was it's "reflex ability" programming which allowed it to ring in substantially more often than a human could.  That was clear from the first day.

HeyLa

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2181 on: February 17, 2011, 04:52:09 pm »
I'm sure few of you stayed up last night to watch the Caps-Ducks game, but it was pretty damn entertaining.

Jonas Hiller, you can return to the lineup any day now...

i was checking my phone every chance i had last night.  couldn't wait to get home to watch it.  haven't seen such an up and down game in a while.  a killer for the goalies, though. 

laughlin made a comment about hiller and green sharing a cab to the doctor's office.  hopefully they'll both be back to 100% soon.

i want to think that this was the spark that the caps need to finish the season strong, but i'm not sure yet.   sasha's hat trick should help him get his confidence back, though. 

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2182 on: February 17, 2011, 05:09:42 pm »
of course center ice gives the free preview that covers only one pens game, and that game is 9 oclock start. although the way the season's gone i'm kind of glad i didnt spring for center ice
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2183 on: February 18, 2011, 05:00:11 pm »
Just offered up my first class seat on a Virgin America flight to Vegas to a bachleorette on her way to her party.  People looked at me like I was crazy...

Now I'm sitting with all her friends who are buying me drinks, eliminated at least one of the married ones, and I look like the nicest guy ever.

Smackie hasn't lost it.
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2184 on: February 18, 2011, 05:16:22 pm »
that's pretty frikken epic.  great move.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2185 on: February 24, 2011, 10:37:50 pm »
Tiptoes

Don't miss the Trailer.

I've already purchased 5 copies of "TipToes" and sent them to unsuspecting friends.   Copies are .99 cents used at Amazon.

I hope to make this the Rick Roll of 2009.

this is absolute GOLD, people.  i'm soooooooo topping up any amazon orders i make for the next while with this nugget - especially useful if you're just a few dollars short of free shipping.

i seriously doubt i'll ever be able to sit through the whole thing, tho.

Anybody, see Tosh this week?
27>34

ggw

« Reply #2186 on: February 25, 2011, 01:49:22 pm »

vansmack

« Reply #2187 on: February 25, 2011, 03:36:51 pm »
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2188 on: March 01, 2011, 01:37:27 pm »
You can stream the new Rival Schools here:

http://www.spinner.com/new-releases#/2
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2189 on: March 01, 2011, 02:00:45 pm »
3D will now make it in the mainstream.  I'll admit, I was skeptical at first, but it's going to turn the corner soon.

Penthouse 3D channel to fill European screens with three-dimensional smut, starting today
27>34