Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902827 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #2265 on: May 13, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »
hey smackie, do you know anything about grooveshark.com? how is that legal

Nobody thinks it's legal except grooveshark.  And until they're told otehrwise, they're going to keep going with it.  They argue that they are working to license the content that users upload, and unless they are told to remove it, they leave it up there while they are working to get the license. It's worked with some labels, not with others.

Apple and Google have both pulled the Grooveshark app (although Google still allows a third party app called TinyShark to stream tunes). 
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2266 on: May 13, 2011, 01:33:20 pm »
I should point out that much like torrents, youtube, direct download and any other illegal/potentially illegal interweb deal, I'm down only on grooveshark, never up.  I don't care if that makes me a leacher....
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2267 on: May 13, 2011, 01:35:18 pm »
had no clue that i could just press a button and listen to the new titus adronicus album for free

up on the net is an absolute no no, agreed
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2268 on: May 13, 2011, 01:41:56 pm »
I should point out that much like torrents, youtube, direct download and any other illegal/potentially illegal interweb deal, I'm down only on grooveshark, never up.  I don't care if that makes me a leacher....

so what about google music?  i just got my confirmation, so i'm ready to start using the service...
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2269 on: May 13, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »
so what about google music?  i just got my confirmation, so i'm ready to start using the service...

Load away!  There's no public access to it, so I have no concerns about it.  The hardest part was narrowing my collection down to 20,000 songs.

BTW - I brought my collection to work and uploaded from there. Thank you fiber connection...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2270 on: May 13, 2011, 01:54:46 pm »
BTW - I brought my collection to work and uploaded from there. Thank you fiber connection...

some day you'll be cool enough to have fiber at home.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #2271 on: May 13, 2011, 02:08:21 pm »
some day you'll be cool enough to have fiber at home.

I'm sure your home does not have 95mbps down and 75mbps up.

And my home may never have fiber to the home.  It's much more likely that I'll have 1GB wireless before I have fiber to the home.

27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #2272 on: May 13, 2011, 02:22:24 pm »
the important question is "are you back on directv yet"
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #2273 on: May 13, 2011, 02:29:34 pm »
the important question is "are you back on directv yet"

If it weren't for the fact that UPS just dropped off a surprise package from Sprint at my apartment, I'd reach through the computer and rip the throats out of both of you.

No.  I still have Comcast.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2274 on: May 13, 2011, 06:48:55 pm »
If it weren't for the fact that UPS just dropped off a surprise package from Sprint at my apartment

Nexus S 4G for those that care.  They want me to send back my Epic though....
27>34

wml7

« Reply #2275 on: May 13, 2011, 07:03:12 pm »
I'm still on Sprint Sero with a touch pro 2.  Can't beat the 34 bucks a month bill with unlimited everything.  I hear today Sprint may get the iphone in the spring.  What are your thoughts and opinions oh wise Smackie?  ;D

vansmack

« Reply #2276 on: May 13, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »
I'm still on Sprint Sero with a touch pro 2.  Can't beat the 34 bucks a month bill with unlimited everything.  I hear today Sprint may get the iphone in the spring.  What are your thoughts and opinions oh wise Smackie?  ;D

First question - do you want my Epic?  $100.  Or will this ruin the SERO plan?

Second - it is inevitable that the iPhone will be on all 3 carriers at some point.  It's the only way Apple can slow the rise of Android, which has now surpassed iPhone at the expense of RIM mostly, but iPhone has hit a plateau.  I just haven't heard a timeframe for the iPhone on Sprint.  I'm sure Verizon has a CDMA exclusive deal, and one year sounds about right as Apple learned their lesson with at&t (either that or 6 months).  That would mean late Fall 2011 or Spring 2012.

Edit: Haha - iS this your source?
http://www.complex.com/tech/2011/05/apple-to-release-iphone-4s-with-sprint-and-t-mobile-compatibility
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:16:12 pm by vansmack »
27>34

wml7

« Reply #2277 on: May 13, 2011, 07:30:04 pm »

First question - do you want my Epic?  $100.  Or will this ruin the SERO plan?

Second - it is inevitable that the iPhone will be on all 3 carriers at some point.  It's the only way Apple can slow the rise of Android, which has now surpassed iPhone at the expense of RIM mostly, but iPhone has hit a plateau.  I just haven't heard a timeframe for the iPhone on Sprint.  I'm sure Verizon has a CDMA exclusive deal, and one year sounds about right as Apple learned their lesson with at&t (either that or 6 months).  That would mean late Fall 2011 or Spring 2012.

Edit: Haha - iS this your source?
http://www.complex.com/tech/2011/05/apple-to-release-iphone-4s-with-sprint-and-t-mobile-compatibility

Nah, don't need an epic.  I think any 4g phone would bump the sero to premium which makes it like 20 bucks more.  I could get the EVO right now but that would mean a 20 dollar bump in bill which eh I'll pass.  But I think the EVO 3D is coming out soon and might look at that.

This was my source  ;D
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/05/13/iphone-4s-coming-in-september-with-sprint-and-t-mobile-support/
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 07:32:39 pm by wml7 »

vansmack

« Reply #2278 on: May 13, 2011, 07:37:30 pm »
Nah, don't need an epic.  I think any 4g phone would bump the sero to premium which makes it like 20 bucks more.  I could get the EVO right now but that would mean a 20 dollar bump in bill which eh I'll pass.  But I think the EVO 3D is coming out soon and might look at that.

This was my source  ;D

Makes sense on both accounts. Sprint always takes care of me so I'm hoping for a dual-core Nexus phone in 6-8 months, but wouldn't balk at the EVO 3D (though I'm still not sold on 3D on mobile devices)...

As for Apple, it also makes sense for a September release of a 4G phone and I'm not surprised they'll go with WIMAX and HSPA+ first as those networks are already built out and save LTE and the iPhone5 for June 2012 when at&t and Verizon have their networks built out.
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #2279 on: May 20, 2011, 10:53:09 am »
If you're into that kind of thing:

http://filmdrunk.uproxx.com/2011/05/megan-fox-as-a-topless-angel-morning-links

Not exactly SFW, but you don't really see anything too bad...

some definite talent in atlanta.  one looks a lot like meghan fox, if you're into that sort of thing (#10, #33).