Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1902781 times)

Rogue Riderhood

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3345 on: December 17, 2014, 02:07:28 pm »
HOW DOES THIS NOT EXIST? It seems fairly simple to make (in the realm of apps) and folks of my ilk would use it all the time.
Are you a developer?  I am not sure why you think this would be that simple.  It would involve integrating multiple APIs and would definitely not be "fairly simple" to program (though it would be doable).

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3346 on: December 17, 2014, 02:11:01 pm »
I agree with all of that Smackie. That's exactly how I saw it playing out although I think you can do a one-screen GUI for search results and still upsell content providers you don't have. Less clicks is essential. Getting content providers on board ASAP with integration in exchange for a piece of PPV sales or some kickback on memberships is priority 1.

I also agree that being able to one-click it to my TV (through some hybrid device) is not a day one feature, but God is it amazing in version 2.0, even if it costs something as a pay version of the app.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:19:02 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

« Reply #3347 on: December 17, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »
Are you a developer?  I am not sure why you think this would be that simple.  It would involve integrating multiple APIs and would definitely not be "fairly simple" to program (though it would be doable).
I mean... no, I'm not a developer. However, it is not exactly facebook level complexity either.

Perhaps in beta, someone in-house daily or weekly manually updates what is added/deleted to each content provider and then once there's proof of concept through MAUs, we go to the content providers and pitch the thing, with integrated access to their database a requirement.

I just really wish I could get in front of someone who actually has the technical know-how to do this and pitch the idea. I would be willing to take a minority share of ownership in the thing, I just think its a fantastic idea and you can grow it from percentage of sales --> in-app ad revenue --> premium version app price with more features --> an integrated suggestions idea that promotes/upsells PPV or smaller up-and-coming niche providers.

This could be really profitable as every day the integrated "channel guide" in our TVs/DVRs becomes less and less reflective of our options for what's on. TiVo is the closest to actually doing this and as Smacks said, it's still miles away from what we actually need. Someone is going to do something like this soon, guaranteed. I don't have many good ideas but this is solidly one.
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3348 on: December 17, 2014, 02:27:06 pm »
I'm just guessing the hold up has been the content providers unwillingness to share the library data.

There's no way you're hiring people to add content - you're using the API's of the content providers to stay up to date.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3349 on: December 17, 2014, 02:37:47 pm »
I like that idea, but I'm likely still going to spend 15+ minutes deciding what to watch..
T.Rex

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?

vansmack

« Reply #3351 on: December 17, 2014, 03:00:04 pm »
Theres already a billion websites that do this

Ha!  And they have an app!

Thank you for sharing, Grateful.  This will save me a ton of time and reduce frustration.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:01:55 pm by vansmack »
27>34

« Reply #3352 on: December 17, 2014, 03:02:02 pm »
Theres already a billion websites that do this

http://www.canistream.it/search/movie/la%20cage%20aux%20folles
http://www.canistream.it/search/tv/bosom%20buddies
I was not aware of this, thanks.

However, I just tried three different shows that I know are on multiple free providers and it could not locate a free streaming provider for any of them.

EDIT: Try Dexter (is on Netflix, but they don't tell you) or The Wire (HBOGo, AmazonPrime neither come up). Everything I've just tried gives me Vudu/Apple/Amazon pay options but no free streaming options and I know for a certainty they're available.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 03:06:06 pm by Julian, Community ORGANIZER »
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3353 on: December 17, 2014, 03:21:26 pm »
Movies seem to be more accurate than TV.
27>34

« Reply #3354 on: December 17, 2014, 03:29:40 pm »
Good to know. Definitely better than nothing.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3355 on: December 17, 2014, 03:37:37 pm »
Good to know. Definitely better than nothing.

I'm sure some are better than others.  Netflix seems to be persnickety when it comes to sharing their data.

Guidebox (www.guidebox.com)
Luma (itunes app) claims to be netflix friendly

Of course, this is the whole idea behind Roku.

vansmack

27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3357 on: January 12, 2015, 05:10:16 pm »
Google Translate to be updated to do Real Time Voice Translation

I've always said that if I could have a Super Power, it would be the ability to communicate in every language...most people think that's stupid, but I think it's huge.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3358 on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:47 pm »
The Director wanted Smackie to see this.

Smackie Approved for the rest of you:

Gia - Only a Girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRIzDQEB1mk
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3359 on: January 28, 2015, 03:59:59 pm »
I had yet another revelation over a glass of wine last night.

My fiancée submitted some photos to be a model in a boudoir shoot opportunity and her motivation for me was that I would be the beneficiary of the photo book as a wedding gift.  Fine by me, but then I thought, you know what would be awesome....

If, on my wedding day, I was given not just a boudoir book of photos of my new bride at her current age (which, presumably I'm very familiar with) but a book (or books) of boudoir photos of my new bride from when she was 18 years old, and 21 years old, and 25 years old and 30 years old - every 5 years until we eventually tie the knot - now THAT is a gift I would cherish.

So, those of you with daughters, encourage them to do this for their future husband so this becomes a thing and we can change the world.  For the better.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 05:55:12 pm by vansmack »
27>34