Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901267 times)

vansmack

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3405 on: March 27, 2015, 04:26:26 pm »
Awesome!  Thank you - I expect much the same experience.

I find her at her best when she's not playing the guitar, but instead singing and swaying ala June Carter, but she doesn't do it very often.
27>34

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #3406 on: March 28, 2015, 12:05:26 am »
Exactly, what do I need to know?

vansmack

« Reply #3407 on: April 07, 2015, 12:49:03 am »
You may now put your Blu-Ray players up for sale....

The Star Wars Digital Movie Collection Coming April 10
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3408 on: April 08, 2015, 05:38:03 pm »
My 10 year old (?) Sony rear projection beast is slowly turning green, and I'm seriously looking at the Samsung JU7100.  Any thoughts? 

vansmack

« Reply #3409 on: April 08, 2015, 06:09:52 pm »
My 10 year old (?) Sony rear projection beast is slowly turning green, and I'm seriously looking at the Samsung JU7100.  Any thoughts? 

Sadly, I haven't seen one, though I have checked periodically.  They aren't in any retail stores I frequent.

I followed the AVS thread for a while but it was just filled with speculation.  Mostly, folks who have a lot of their own ripped content seem to prefer it to the 8500 series, but so few people have them that I grew tired of wading through the noise. 

I believe it's the upgrade to my 6950 series, which I have been more than happy with, but can't really comment until I use one.
27>34

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #3410 on: April 08, 2015, 11:59:46 pm »
I suppose anything will be an upgrade for me, at which it becomes much am I willing to spend for something I plan to use for 7ish years...

vansmack

« Reply #3411 on: April 09, 2015, 06:04:47 pm »

And I'm sure most of you donated your DVD players, but further proof:

The Simpsons cease DVD distribution
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3412 on: April 09, 2015, 11:37:06 pm »

And I'm sure most of you donated your DVD players, but further proof:

The Simpsons cease DVD distribution

"Yes, you are now at the whims of geography, your home entertainment package, and the reliability of your Internet if you want to see outtakes and hear Jean and others talk about the making of latter-day Simpsons episodes."

huge upgrade from the oppression of physical media!!!
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #3413 on: April 10, 2015, 11:19:12 am »
"Yes, you are now at the whims of geography, your home entertainment package, and the reliability of your Internet if you want to see outtakes and hear Jean and others talk about the making of latter-day Simpsons episodes."

huge upgrade from the oppression of physical media!!!

Did you ever try to buy a DVD in Europe that they didn't sell in the States and try and play it when you got back to America? 

Did you ever have as many options for entertainment with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, youtube, Google or Apple (and those are just the legal ones) compared to your local cable company or satellite TV?

I pull nearly 20mbps on my phone these days.  If you don't have enough alternatives to your home connection going down then...
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3414 on: April 10, 2015, 12:43:12 pm »
DVD region codes are a red herring and you know it.  if you're able to pull down 20 mbps on your phone and hook your home entertainment system into it, then you can get around region locks.  the flipside is expecting John Q. Consumer to hook up his TV to his phone is a non-starter.

agreed that we have even more options online than we do with physical media, but offline options are in the billions as it is.  not sure that having even more billions will make me happier :) 

anyhoo, i'm certainly not saying keeping media in the cloud is a bad thing.  i just want to point out that it isn't without its own limitations and that there remains reasons why one might want physical media - like, say, a Simpsons DVD... ;D
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:58:16 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3415 on: April 10, 2015, 01:26:47 pm »
Smackie, you ignorant slut: DVD region codes are a red herring and you know it.  if you're able to pull down 20 mbps on your phone and hook your home entertainment system into it, then you can get around region locks.  the flipside is expecting John Q. Consumer to hook up his TV to his phone is a non-starter.

agreed that we have even more options online than we do with physical media, but offline options are in the billions as it is.  not sure that having even more billions will make me happier :) 

anyhoo, i'm certainly not saying keeping media in the cloud is a bad thing.  i just want to point out that it isn't without its own limitations and that there remains reasons why one might want physical media - like, say, a Simpsons DVD... ;D
FTFY
LVMH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3416 on: April 10, 2015, 02:14:52 pm »
i always fancied myself a young dan akroyd...
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #3417 on: April 10, 2015, 02:15:22 pm »
For the record, I never said that Digital Media in the Cloud was the panacea, however those who argue that Tanglible Media model is not dead is the reason why used DVD and CD stores are still around.

In addition, anyone who doesn't think that the current status of media is better than it ever has been, even with all it's confusing digital right licensing issues, probably still owns 8-tracks, but not a working 8-track player.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.  But when nostalgia gets in the way of innovation, it's a dangerous thing.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #3418 on: April 10, 2015, 02:17:46 pm »
27>34

« Reply #3419 on: April 10, 2015, 02:36:10 pm »
In addition, anyone who doesn't think that the current status of media is better than it ever has been, even with all it's confusing digital right licensing issues, probably still owns 8-tracks, but not a working 8-track player.

Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.  But when nostalgia gets in the way of innovation, it's a dangerous thing.

....talk to hutch, he seems to have a fondness for the physical I'll never fully understand :)
slack