Author Topic: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...  (Read 1901286 times)

Re: Things Smackie Thinks You Need to Know...
« Reply #3750 on: September 30, 2015, 12:01:36 pm »
The negatives?

Subscription model.
The fact it still charges a monthly fee or the specific tweaks to the subscription model for this unit?
So i'm liking this new Tivo...nice thing is the first year is included
then it's $15 a month (or $150 annually)

do they no longer offer those lifetime subscription deals?
The $49 replacement policy is pretty nice...at least it seems like a good deal

slack

vansmack

« Reply #3751 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:19 pm »
The fact it still charges a monthly fee or the specific tweaks to the subscription model for this unit?

The fact that after a year, you have to pay a subscription to continue using your device.

My DirecTV DVR is so slick these days, and secondary streaming boxes are so cheap and offer so many more apps than the TiVo box that it just doesn't make sense to also pay TiVo to use their service.
27>34

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #3752 on: September 30, 2015, 12:05:23 pm »
So i'm liking this new Tivo...nice thing is the first year is included
then it's $15 a month (or $150 annually)

do they no longer offer those lifetime subscription deals?
The $49 replacement policy is pretty nice...at least it seems like a good deal

They absolutely still offer Lifetime. After your first included year, you have the option to buy Lifetime (599.99), yearly (149.99) or monthly (14.99) service. At any of those service levels, after the 90-day full warranty, you can get a replacement for $49.
LVMH

« Reply #3753 on: September 30, 2015, 12:08:13 pm »
My DirecTV DVR is so slick these days, and secondary streaming boxes are so cheap and offer so many more apps than the TiVo box that it just doesn't make sense to also pay TiVo to use their service.
Well, I disagree on this personally but I am a noted (active) Tivo fanboy. Their OnePass to integrate all the included platforms is fantastic and well worth the money. No other DVR has nearly as intuitive, slick interface and remote as TiVo. (I do use a Roku for hockeystreams, Big Ten plus, and ESPN3 which TiVo doesn't currently have apps for but I feel strongly at least the last two of those will be coming with this switch to HTML5.)
LVMH

vansmack

« Reply #3754 on: September 30, 2015, 12:14:27 pm »
I use my phone(s) as my remote and beg to differ.
27>34

« Reply #3755 on: September 30, 2015, 01:31:48 pm »
No other DVR has nearly as intuitive, slick interface and remote as TiVo.

I agree with this 100%
cost was my reason for leaving, new features are making it more appealing

but $599 for life time...you have to wait until your 5th year for that to pay off...and who knows, I might be taking my hoverboard to work by that time and have a neural implant in my brain that will have all the features of Tivo
slack

« Reply #3756 on: September 30, 2015, 01:42:11 pm »
but $599 for life time...you have to wait until your 5th year for that to pay off...and who knows, I might be taking my hoverboard to work by that time and have a neural implant in my brain that will have all the features of Tivo
The warranty sort of makes that less risky, though. Here's the thing I think a lot of people don't get: the financial advantages of TiVo come most apparently when you pair a lifetime subscription with TiVo minis in lieu of a traditional multi-room DVR setup.

For example: I have three TVs, and a Roamio and two TiVo minis (in case you're unaware on pricing a mini costs ~$125 new, and comes with free lifetime, but requires a Roamio or Bolt to use). To replicate my setup through Comcast -- true "start in one room and finish in another" DVR, OnDemand, streaming on all three TVs -- it would cost me $45/month in DVR rental fees. Even if I'm going to buy a new TiVo every 5 years like in your scenario, my cost for a Bolt (300), Lifetime (600), and two Minis (~250) divvied up over 60 months is $19.16/month. On top of this, Comcast gives out a credit of $2/user-owned device per month per some weird FCC ruling I don't totally understand which makes my effective monthly outlay 13.16/month. Basically I save $31.84 monthly through TiVo. My break even point is month 36; highly doubtful you're replacing your 4K TiVo Bolt in the next 3 years. And if you do, a secondary market for these things (especially ones with Lifetime) is extant.

You can price out similar set ups vs your local cable company's prices on your own.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:50:56 pm by Julian, Verified SHITLORD »
LVMH

« Reply #3757 on: September 30, 2015, 10:27:09 pm »
I don't get angry often, but VW/Audi %$^&ed with the wrong guy on this one.  I will have their head.
have you seen their Ad apologizing for this
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3758 on: October 01, 2015, 12:41:35 pm »
I've already made the "that's what I get for forgetting my golden rule - where were you in World War II?" joke about my purchase....but Hitler Trusted Us, Why Won't You?" is better!
27>34

« Reply #3759 on: October 02, 2015, 09:47:16 am »
I already knew this, but now it's confirmed that Android users have more stamina

the average iOS user lingering on the site for 8 minutes and 40 seconds -- Android fans hang around for 10 minutes and six seconds.

Jules...do use an iPhone....Android users are 138 percent more likely to search for BBW

There is, however, one sign that everyone's not so different at all, since the most searched-for term for both teams is the same: Lesbian.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3760 on: October 02, 2015, 09:49:41 am »
Last day of freedom... You're in our thoughts, smax.
<sig>

« Reply #3761 on: October 02, 2015, 09:50:56 am »
CONGRATS!! Happy for you guys!!
LVMH

« Reply #3762 on: October 02, 2015, 10:12:33 am »
Last day of freedom... You're in our thoughts, smax.
although thought this wasn't his first time at the rodeo?
and they are in San Francisco, definition of marriage is a little looser than the rest of the country :0

but regardless Mazel Tov
...may you bear many mini-smax
slack

vansmack

« Reply #3763 on: October 02, 2015, 10:26:15 am »
There is, however, one sign that everyone's not so different at all, since the most searched-for term for both teams is the same: Lesbian.

I would have guessed "teen"....
27>34

« Reply #3764 on: October 02, 2015, 10:28:02 am »
Jules...do use an iPhone...
I don't know and I do not care. There is literally nothing I care about less or hate discussing more than cell phones.
LVMH