Author Topic: new cd shop in Adams Morgan?  (Read 2013 times)

skonster

new cd shop in Adams Morgan?
« on: August 07, 2004, 05:32:00 pm »
I saw a sign on the west side of 18th just south of Belmont that a new CD store (new and used) is opening. The space is below a salon, but I forget the proposed name already, which is pathetic given that I live three blocks away.  Anybody know anything?

bellenseb

Re: new cd shop in Adams Morgan?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2004, 12:37:00 pm »
I saw it -- it's to be called Crooked Beat records, and it's in the space formerly occupied by Flying Saucer, if I remember correctly.

There's just a sign with the name and phone number. Hopefully it'll be a nice indie store...I've been shopping at Olsson's and Melody, and they stock a lot of what I want, but I miss having an "indie" place to buy records.

That said, is Adams Morgan the best place to open a shop? What about down in the U street area where all the 930/Black Cat/DC9/Velvet Lounge folks are in the early evening?

Random Citizen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2004, 12:58:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
 That said, is Adams Morgan the best place to open a shop? What about down in the U street area where all the 930/Black Cat/DC9/Velvet Lounge folks are in the early evening?
I'm guessing it's getting more expensive to open a shop in the U Street area with a good amount of space for CDs, etc. given the recent openings of the likes of Starbucks, Quizno's and the new apartments.

I'm not sure a truly indie store could make it these days. Even DCCD sold stuff like Britney Spears and other pop music albums.

poorlulu

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2004, 12:50:00 am »
it's a shame it's such a horrible space for a store

jkeisenh

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 09:25:00 am »
hooray-- skonster's back!  it's been a while.

yeah. i actually had this depressing/insightful talk with some coworkers recently about our cd shopping habits.  while we all used to buy great volumes of cd at DCCD, many have lapsed... one no longer buys at all (illegally downloads), one buys only online now, and one just borrows CD's from others.  Me, I do a mix of just about all of those (sans the online thing, a sacrelige in my mind).  

The pattern, though, shows why places like Now or DCCD may falter-  we don't music shop the way we used to.  Sad, isn't it?

Random Citizen

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2004, 09:50:00 am »
Originally posted by chimbly sweep:
 The pattern, though, shows why places like Now or DCCD may falter-  we don't music shop the way we used to.  Sad, isn't it?
It's not necessarily a sad thing. Buying habits change. I buy CDs from a variety of sources, online and offline. For example, if it's something I want asap, I'll head to Olsson's or Border's to pick it up. If it's a not-yet-released album, I'll order online because I'll get it the day before it hits the stores.

The location of a music store can be a blessing and a curse. The (changing) demographics of an area can either make the shop popular or doom it.

bellenseb

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2004, 10:01:00 am »
It's much harder to run a music shop these days, but the truth is that DCCD and Now just weren't very good shops, at least toward the end. They didn't carry very much stock, and just didn't have a vibrant feel to them. They were pretty depressing places to shop.

I think that given the current dearth of indie stores in the area, a smart, well-run store could do OK...especially if they diversify stock and carry underground mags/zines/books, dvds, etc. a la Atomic Books in B'more, and had lots of in-stores.

MET

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2004, 10:07:00 am »
I emailed the owner of the store about this thread; hopefully he can shed some light on your questions.

I do know it won't just be a CD store; it'll also cater to vinyl junkies and DJs.

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2004, 10:11:00 am »
What was up with that goth store in Adams Morgan?  It was right next to the 18th St. Express.  Didn't even last a year.

markie

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2004, 10:20:00 am »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  What was up with that goth store in Adams Morgan?  It was right next to the 18th St. Express.  Didn't even last a year.
You didnt buy enough eyeliner to keep it viable.

The stores with poor frontage rarely seem to do well.

bellenseb

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2004, 10:21:00 am »
Forget the goth store, I'm excited about the new Amsterdam-style falafel shop...

Anyway, it looks like Crooked Beat might be more along the lines of the DJ Hut in Dupont...and not the indie shop of my dreams.

thirsty moore

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2004, 10:23:00 am »
Right on!  I just saw the sign for that the other day while walking home.  A better alternative to my jumbo slice addiction.

For all of those that haven't met me.  No, I'm not an overweight goth.

Originally posted by bellenseb:
  Forget the goth store, I'm excited about the new Amsterdam-style falafel shop...

bellenseb

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2004, 12:10:00 pm »
Great news...looks like this store will be teriffic.

Crooked Beat

Bags

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2004, 12:24:00 pm »
Thanks, bellenseb, for posting that link....looks good.  My fingers are crossed and I will stay away from Amazon until I get by...

bellenseb

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 08:41:00 pm »
From alt.music.chapel-hill:

We are happy to announce we are reopening our storefront in Washington Dc on 2318 18th St NW on Sept 1. It is in the Adams Morgan neighborhood of DC, not too far from Dupont Circle, the 9:30 club and Black Cat.

Helen and I have taken on a partner with this DC store. Our partner is a big used LP seller/collector in the Dc area. He will be drawing from and stocking Crooked Beat daily with his warehouse inventory of over 40,000 hard to find and rare lps (rock,soul/funk,jazz) mainly from the 60's, 70's and early 80's. We will also continue to carry cds/new lps/t-shirts etc.

The guys from Foundry Zero in Raleigh are currently working on the new Crooked Beat website. It is long overdue and will be launched this fall.

Thanks to everyone from NC and everywhere else who have been very supportive of our online store since our Raleigh location closed in 2002.
 If in Dc come on by and say hello to us.

Bill & Helen