Author Topic: This week rollcall  (Read 2693308 times)

killsaly

Re: This week rollcall
« Reply #6120 on: November 25, 2013, 12:06:13 pm »
A couple maybes...
Multicult/Psychic Teens/A Guide to Rational Living/Seaton XOXO at the Crown tonight
Danny Brown on Sunday
I ended up skipping these two to go to Mazzy Star/Psychic Ills for free (thank goodness it was free, Psychic Ills were great but I was not impressed with Mazzy Star and left 30 minutes into their set).

Only one this week: Animal Collective on Sunday!!! I finally get to see them this year (I was one of the ones with a ticket to the first of the three summer 930 shows, the one that the club lost power at before they could play and we all got refunds).

hutch

« Reply #6121 on: November 25, 2013, 12:52:42 pm »
A couple maybes...
Multicult/Psychic Teens/A Guide to Rational Living/Seaton XOXO at the Crown tonight
Danny Brown on Sunday
I ended up skipping these two to go to Mazzy Star/Psychic Ills for free (thank goodness it was free, Psychic Ills were great but I was not impressed with Mazzy Star and left 30 minutes into their set).

Only one this week: Animal Collective on Sunday!!! I finally get to see them this year (I was one of the ones with a ticket to the first of the three summer 930 shows, the one that the club lost power at before they could play and we all got refunds).

oh no! what was wrong with mazzy star... i wish i could have gone

isn't hope sandoval as beguiling as ever?

on a mazzy star related topic i just found the lp by opal...its snazzy

azaghal1981

« Reply #6122 on: November 25, 2013, 01:12:26 pm »
He is just not a fan and The Fillmore gave Joe a shitton of extra tickets.

Os Mutantes were a lot of fun. It sounded like the current band had been constant for a while. They were tighter than I imagined they would be. Faithfully played everything I was hoping to hear and the new stuff was decent although I'm not rushing out to get the new record. They could've done with a little less jamming; 90 minute set could've easily been paired down to 70 but that's a minor gripe. I'd catch Capsula again if I were to have the chance. Killer Argentinian space rock that very easily won over the crowd.
احمد

killsaly

« Reply #6123 on: November 25, 2013, 01:17:48 pm »
What was wrong with it...  Nothing really, I just didnt like it.  I thought it was incredibly boring and I even commented to showlist during the first song that I didnt think I could take more than 30 minutes of it (I think I was there for 40).  It was fine, but it just didnt appeal to me.  I am sure a lot of people had the opposite opinion; Joe and Emmanuel both thought it was amazing.  Joe told me I would have liked the end, when they cranked it up a bit,  but it was too little, too late at that point - as I was already at my house by that time. 

(and as Az said, I am not a fan, and that set did nothing to turn me into a fan)

azaghal1981

« Reply #6124 on: November 25, 2013, 01:22:12 pm »
How did it sell? I was a little surprised they played there. Thought it was too big.
احمد

hutch

« Reply #6125 on: November 25, 2013, 01:22:45 pm »
What was wrong with it...  Nothing really, I just didnt like it.  I thought it was incredibly boring and I even commented to showlist during the first song that I didnt think I could take more than 30 minutes of it (I think I was there for 40).  It was fine, but it just didnt appeal to me.  I am sure a lot of people had the opposite opinion; Joe and Emmanuel both thought it was amazing.  Joe told me I would have liked the end, when they cranked it up a bit,  but it was too little, too late at that point - as I was already at my house by that time. 

(and as Az said, I am not a fan, and that set did nothing to turn me into a fan)

oh i see...well mazzy star is not a band to go see if you're not into that type of music..you'll fall asleep of boredom

i kind of like it though.....just have to be in the mood.... i think its called "slowcore" for a reason! :)

killsaly

« Reply #6126 on: November 25, 2013, 01:25:04 pm »
I do like some of that type of music (like Low).  I didn't, however, like Mazzy Star live.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6127 on: November 25, 2013, 01:27:14 pm »
to be fair, killsaly had already planned to leave early even before they went on stage...

I understand leaving before a headliner band you don't care to see. I've done it before.
(_|_)

hutch

« Reply #6128 on: November 25, 2013, 01:28:15 pm »
I do like some of that type of music (like Low).  I didn't, however, like Mazzy Star live.

well that is unacceptable!

kidding kidding.. ;D

killsaly

« Reply #6129 on: November 25, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »
to be fair, killsaly had already planned to leave early even before they went on stage...
I planned on leaving early only if I didn't like them.  If I was enraptured by their music, I would have stayed. 

well that is unacceptable!
kidding kidding.. ;D
You do not like Low?

Anyways, anyone else going to Animal Collective? 

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #6130 on: November 25, 2013, 02:21:26 pm »
How did it sell? I was a little surprised they played there. Thought it was too big.

It was very full.  It would've sold out 9:30.  I think Lincoln or Strathmore would've been a better venue-- their sparse/dark setup with projections really calls for a seated venue-- but the Fillmore was certainly the right size venue for them.  Lots of people talking throughout the set, though.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6131 on: November 25, 2013, 02:32:25 pm »
possibly Temples on Wed @ Dc9. Really like their T.Rex sound.  Hard to believe they are the states with just two UK singles to their name
T.Rex

challenged

• Instagram
« Reply #6132 on: November 25, 2013, 02:47:42 pm »
I was at the Mazzy Star show; had never seen them before, or really even heard much...

But I really enjoyed the show, and was very happy to have attended.

One funny thing...I was upstairs (stage Right) standing next to the VIP seated areas. There are video monitors there. 2 out of the 3 monitors that I could see went into standby screensaver mode during Mazzy's set; My guess is that the image coming from the video feed was so dark and unchanging that the software detected that there was no signal? Is that possible?

showlistdc

• http://www.showlistdc.com
    • Comprehensive DC-area concert calendar
« Reply #6133 on: November 25, 2013, 02:59:31 pm »
this week for me:

tonight - caspian / 65daysofstatic
tomorrow - agrimonia
friday - maybe fates warning

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6134 on: November 25, 2013, 03:10:06 pm »
Hardly any talking from where I was standing (about 15 feet away center). I can imagine lots of talking in the back?  I was quite afraid of a walk out but overall, great respectable audience.  She did make a hand gesture in the middle of the set to someone who was taking a picture with flash...

I was too young to see them in 96 and I'm glad I finally got to see them.
Great setlist, too...Halah and Blue Flower were my favorites.
Audio recording coming soon...Emmanuel recorded the whole set.
(_|_)