Author Topic: random . . . randomness  (Read 1693230 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: random . . . randomness
« Reply #6120 on: May 18, 2021, 04:02:06 pm »

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #6123 on: May 18, 2021, 04:50:01 pm »
Dear Foo Fighters,

You can’t undo the damage you did, but you can at least say you’re sorry you did it.

Bruce Mirken
This is wild.

They should probably be cancelled.
That non-sequitur aside, its just kind of crazy to me that they apparently were this gung ho about it to put it on their website. 1999-2000 is not 1987 -- this was established science by then. No one I know in 2000 would've bought into this. I was never a big Foo Fighters fan but I feel like if this had gotten better publicized back then, it would've blown up in their face big time.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #6125 on: May 18, 2021, 05:05:19 pm »
Dear Foo Fighters,

You can’t undo the damage you did, but you can at least say you’re sorry you did it.

Bruce Mirken
yikes, that is crazy
seems crazy to tell someone NOT to get an HIV test

this was great line
occasional hilarious bursts of scientific ignorance

I do think Bruce has a point, all we would like is an apology
Bass players, really the bottom dwellers of rocknroll
slack

« Reply #6126 on: May 18, 2021, 05:08:11 pm »
Space,  have been following the craft beer meetoo movement?
was just hearing about this
https://www.instagram.com/ratmagnet/

So I guess no more Hill Farmstead for Yada and Bresner ;)
slack

Starsky

« Reply #6127 on: May 18, 2021, 05:10:57 pm »
Sounds like Mendel is a bit of a kook and got the band to go along

These guys aren’t rocket scientists and make mistakes..this seems like a big one

Didn’t Nate leave the band around this time?

Starsky

« Reply #6128 on: May 18, 2021, 05:14:17 pm »
Sounds like Mendel is a bit of a kook and got the band to go along

These guys aren’t rocket scientists and make mistakes..this seems like a big one

Didn’t Nate leave the band around this time? Added: nope maybe Smear

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #6129 on: May 18, 2021, 05:14:47 pm »
Its looking like Grohl is implicated too, supporting an organization that promoted the idea that vaccines cause autism:

Dave Grohl, frontman for the multiple Grammy award-winning band Foo Fighters – and who headlined the Autism Speaks "Blue Jean Ball" in 2013 – returns to headline the organization's "Into the Blue" gala on October 4, 2018 (PRNewswire, Sep 27, 2018)

Wiki entry: "Autism Speaks has been the focus of controversy; over 60 disability rights organizations have condemned the organization for failing to represent autistic people, and for exploitative practices." The organization was anti-vaxx until this 2017 change to its "What Causes Autism" info page.

Starsky

« Reply #6130 on: May 18, 2021, 05:16:52 pm »
Well if you are going to cancel someone for supporting Autism Speaks....geez

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6131 on: May 18, 2021, 05:18:13 pm »
I don't know much about them, but the criticism warrants a deeper look. I mean, the vaccine thing is batshit crazy.

« Reply #6132 on: May 18, 2021, 05:26:52 pm »
I don't know much about them, but the criticism warrants a deeper look. I mean, the vaccine thing is batshit crazy.
yeah, I don't know the whole story with AS, but they have been getting a lot of harshing on in the past few years for non-autism related stuff
I didn't realize they were maintaining Vax=Autisum into 2017...that is kind of a revelation

I remember William Shatner going off on them
https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/1338957965349404673?lang=en

https://twitter.com/williamshatner/status/1105143423076491265?lang=en
« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:28:57 pm by Bamboo-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack

Starsky

« Reply #6133 on: May 18, 2021, 05:30:14 pm »
I choose not to get involved with autism advocacy.. I don’t even have a autism ribbon or puzzle piece sticker on my car

And maybe autism speaks is and was terribly misguided and wrong on many issues..but i think people need to be nuanced in how they look at people and organizations..this idea that we must cancel everything that falls or FELL short of our beliefs that day is insanity

The fact is Autism Speaks has done a ton of work promoting awareness of autism -which is huge cause the earlier you are aware there might be something going on the better - AND advocating for autistic people and their families

Really when my first kid was diagnosed they were the only player in town even pretending to give a shit

I have noticed HUGE resistance to them within the autism community..now the autism community is pretty divided... you got genius people that function great, artsy people like Anthony Hopkins or David Byrne, and people that can’t speak and really really struggle..I am talking about your worst nightmare..kids that scream all night.. kids like Nick Hornby’s son that they eventually realized they just had to institutionalize him...(Hornby has done good work on a micro level)..it’s a really broad spectrum...they say if you know one person on the autism spectrum you know one person on the autism spectrum

Like I said I am not involved and can’t speak to these polemics but I was comforted knowing at least somebody was lobbying Congress etc but I get it some people think they are satan

Again..nuance..gray

« Last Edit: May 18, 2021, 05:34:59 pm by Starsky »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #6134 on: May 18, 2021, 05:33:54 pm »
Can we at least agree to cancel that other guy from the Foo Fighters?