Author Topic: TBD  (Read 1179727 times)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
Re: A Various Random Thoughts Thread
« Reply #2925 on: January 27, 2014, 04:31:26 pm »
Response to Big, Gay, Grammy Wedding is Mixed

However, Queen Latifah?s call to unity was not universally embraced, and opponents of the last night?s rainbow wedding took out their anger on Twitter.

Particularly vocal was Todd Starnes, host of 'Fox News & Commentary.' ?I've never seen such a display of intolerance, bigotry and hatred. #Grammys #antichristian? and, ?This was not about marriage. This was about bashing God and the church. #grammys,? he tweeted.

Similarly vexed, Scottie Nell Hughes, News Director of the Tea Party News Network (TPNN.com) tweeted ?Everyone has rights unless you are a right wing conservative #attackonchristianity.?

Like I said: fuck 'em.
😐 🎶

atomic

« Reply #2926 on: January 27, 2014, 04:43:21 pm »
Response to Big, Gay, Grammy Wedding is Mixed

However, Queen Latifah?s call to unity was not universally embraced, and opponents of the last night?s rainbow wedding took out their anger on Twitter.

Particularly vocal was Todd Starnes, host of 'Fox News & Commentary.' ?I've never seen such a display of intolerance, bigotry and hatred. #Grammys #antichristian? and, ?This was not about marriage. This was about bashing God and the church. #grammys,? he tweeted.

Similarly vexed, Scottie Nell Hughes, News Director of the Tea Party News Network (TPNN.com) tweeted ?Everyone has rights unless you are a right wing conservative #attackonchristianity.?

Like I said: fuck 'em.

So this was during the Grammies?  I wonder why JF didn't mention that in his original post.  I never watch the Grammies as they are basically an advertisement for the record industry and who ever sells the most records wins.

Yada

« Reply #2927 on: January 27, 2014, 05:00:37 pm »
*pops popcorn patiently awaiting walky's response*

ggw

« Reply #2928 on: January 27, 2014, 05:03:46 pm »
Wait - is someone claiming that the Grammy Awards show had some sort of bloated, vacuous production number featuring self important, past-their-prime entertainers?!?! 

I'm shocked.   That never happens.

Relaxer

« Reply #2929 on: January 27, 2014, 05:16:30 pm »
Oh boy, I can't wait for the homophobic dipshits to come out of the woodwork saying "Oh yeah, I'm supposed to be accepting of that lifestyle, but they don't accept mine" which is retarded because A) those idiots obviously do not accept that lifestyle, and B) those idiots are equating a struggle for rights and human decency with being allowed to demonize and reject a whole genre of individuals.

Personally I think Macklemore's music sucks and his motives are suspect. But my 9 year old son LOVES his music and if my kid's music is talking about how everyone deserves respect and the same equal rights, then I am perfectly okay with that.
oword

James Ford

« Reply #2930 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:14 pm »
Middle America needs to relate because a vast majority of America is middle America. They are the ones who are doing the voting to keep gay marriage illegal in most states. Capture their hearts and minds and the walls will fall. Madonna singing Open Your Heart aint the right messenger.

If this wasn't about shoving it in middle America's face (and instead about people wanting a glamorous, Hollywood produced wedding as you propose), there would have been gay AND straight couples getting married.

Another take (from the Left)

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/01/the-grammys-big-gay-wedding-for-straight-superstars/283360/

But the mass marriage that took place to Macklemore?s ?Same Love? and Madonna?s ?Open Your Heart? towards the end of the night Sunday wasn?t really for the people getting hitched. They were props. It wasn?t really for gay rights either. Any public good that potentially came from the moment?maybe someone at home changing their attitudes about same-sex marriage?were side effects. The main reason for the nuptials, it seemed, was to give the musicians on stage and recording-academy members a chance to announce themselves as good people.

Just saying that she's someone middle America sees every day and probably can relate to. Middle America in turn find out that Ellen is a married lesbian, and "Hey, she's a normal chick who just happens to be gay and wants to be married, I can relate to that."

Queen Latifah officiating a big televised Hollywood produced ceremony with Madonna telling them that they need to "Open Your Heart"....they're probably not going to relate to that.

I think Ellen Degeneres having an everyday talk show does more for the cause than the Grammy spectacle.

I agree with Rhett that if one is an Evangelical of the persuasion that gay marriage is wrong, a Macklemore song + wedding spectacular is probably only going to entrench their worldview, not make them reconsider it.

That said, I'm not really sure that was the intended point of that whole thing.

How does the Degeneres lady having a talk show have anything to do with someone chosing to get married?  Is she marrying people on her show?

You think perhaps people just want to have a big Hollywood produced extravaganza for their wedding because it makes them happy and they aren't doing things to cause other people to be annoyed?  I know that might be beyond you.  You are putting your opinions on others as always.   I don't see how Ellen fits into all this.  I find her boring and not funny.   Her wife is funny though.  Maybe she should be the one with the show.

Do gay peoples personalities have to match your own before you find them acceptable?  Why does middle america need to relate to this anyway.  When I planned my wedding I wasn't thinking "Will conservatives approve of my wedding?"

stevewizzle

« Reply #2931 on: January 27, 2014, 05:31:47 pm »
reflecting back on this excellent post RE: the trouble with macklemore is good fun today.

http://potholesinmyblog.com/the-trouble-with-macklemore/

atomic

« Reply #2932 on: January 27, 2014, 06:00:57 pm »
Middle America needs to relate because a vast majority of America is middle America. They are the ones who are doing the voting to keep gay marriage illegal in most states. Capture their hearts and minds and the walls will fall. Madonna singing Open Your Heart aint the right messenger.

If this wasn't about shoving it in middle America's face (and instead about people wanting a glamorous, Hollywood produced wedding as you propose), there would have been gay AND straight couples getting married.

Maybe you can be Gay America's official spokesperson since you know what is best for them. 

Maybe individual Gay American's shouldn't be allowed to do what they want and they should only be allowed to do what you told them was best for their cause.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2933 on: January 27, 2014, 07:44:50 pm »
i worked all day today. whew.  phones ringing off the hook.  people wanting this.  people wanting that.  out in the cold beauty of rappahannock county.  seeing the most interesting lives of properties and their memories past.  now my feet stink.  i dont have television except to watch netflix and roku player.  i just got into my big fat gypsy wedding.  god.  sometime i want to know what i am doing.  i listened to the news on the sirius.  i heard about the grammys and who did what.  but i dont have opinion.  now i am hungry.

hutch

« Reply #2934 on: January 27, 2014, 09:46:59 pm »

Personally I think Macklemore's music sucks and his motives are suspect. But my 9 year old son LOVES his music and if my kid's music is talking about how everyone deserves respect and the same equal rights, then I am perfectly okay with that.

great point...

this James Fordsian argument that we're shoving it in middle America's face is really stupid...

I mean of course you have to shove it in their face! Its marriage between people of the same sex... they have to see it..see its real..see it won't kill them.. see life goes on..talk about it...eventually they will  get it.. its obvious they ARE getting it because society is changing everywhere... if James Ford is trying to say gay marriage is only legal in certain states and the states where it is illegal are just as against it as they were 30 years ago, well I think that flies in the face of the evidence.... opposition to gay marriage is breaking down everywhere.

America is changing..in fact the world is changing (gay marriage legal in Argentina? wow) and as more and more of this old people who just can't get their arms around the idea die off gay marriage will continue to take hold...

but my main point is that yeah they need to have their face rubbed in it because the other approach of hiding in closet did not exactly work, did it?

Does that mean we're going to see gay marriage in Alabama or Iowa next year? Of course not...but the number of states will surely increase and eventually, yes, we'll see gay marriage in Alabama.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2935 on: January 27, 2014, 10:15:36 pm »
You will see it as soon as our country grows up and changes the law at a national level.

I do not see why states have the right to dictate marriage.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #2936 on: January 27, 2014, 10:23:29 pm »
look at all these straight people caring abouts what gay people do.  fascinating.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2937 on: January 27, 2014, 10:40:54 pm »
So I guess we now know why Kacey Musgraves won "Country Music Album of the Year".  That liberal agenda....  oh and it's a great album to listen, might be my most listen album from last year.
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #2938 on: January 27, 2014, 10:52:52 pm »
Did your high school textbook forget to cover the US Constitution?

You will see it as soon as our country grows up and changes the law at a national level.

I do not see why states have the right to dictate marriage.

Hexenjagd

« Reply #2939 on: January 27, 2014, 11:03:56 pm »
I am not an idiot. I have a degree, not that it is anyone's business.  I don't think something that should be a HUMAN RIGHT needs to be dictated at the state level.  If it was a national law then states couldn't outlaw it and everyone would be happy. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:07:25 pm by Hexenjagd »