Author Topic: any news on hfstival this year?  (Read 73296 times)

SamZeb

Re: any news on hfstival this year?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2002, 02:41:00 am »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stpmattb:<BR><B>Yeah gotcha now.  Good movie actually.  He was an aspiring writer and got to tour with a band but he had to write a story on them for Rolling Stone.  Shit happens and in the end his story makes the cover of the magazine.<P>Sometimes Id say I feel like him, I never thought id be working for my favorite band, let alone tour with them and get to photograph all their shows and be thanked in their cds.  Still waiting for all of this to sink in.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>That's <B>ME</B> bitch!  Haven't we been through this before?!  <P>Seriously though...as far as HFStival goes, I agree with everyone when I think that the whole "Angry White Man Music" genre is way too overplayed at shows and festivals.  Perhaps if they were to have a REGULAR band headline who isn't all about screaming over generic power-chord based guitar riffs and whose fans weren't all about kicking other people in the head every 17 seconds, there could be a good show...<P>

Sir HC

« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2002, 03:44:00 pm »
The same complaint has gone on since the second Lollapalooza when it grunge city.  I like the diverse shows, and am slowly going away from festivals because they are (1) too big for me (2) too short of sets (though it works well if I don't like a band) (3) never sound that good and (4) I don't mosh much any more.  I agree that it would be better to have the day start with some mellower bands and work up to a mosh, but I really would prefer them to just have heavy day and light day.  Then you could go and not worry about some git not knowing how to crowd surf kick you in the head.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2002, 04:40:00 pm »
i saw people moshing and crowd surfing to tony bennett at the hfstival.  i don't think "quiet time" would solve the problem.

mankie

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2002, 04:51:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B> I really would prefer them to just have heavy day and light day.  </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What are we talking about? Tampons or festivals...in the case of the HFS'ival it's one in the same really.<P>

Sir HC

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2002, 04:56:00 pm »
I guess I didn't see the Lillith Fair connotations in my original post.  Still, if there is no reason for someone to come for a mosh (no heavy bands) then hopefully it will be a more palatable affair.  Imagine wine and cheese on the grass at RFK (just like the early HFStivals where we would park and have a car full of scotch).

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2002, 04:59:00 pm »
LOL! That reminds me, there's a commericial for something that never, in my warped mind, links the product to the images, which is why I can't remember what it's for now. In the beginning, there's this gigantic tubular space vehicle with some opened flaps. Everytime that I see that thing it strikes me as being some sort of Inter-Galatic Tampon. Does anyone know which commercial I'm referring to?

mankie

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2002, 05:02:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sir HC:<BR><B>I guess I didn't see the Lillith Fair connotations in my original post.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Not too many light/dark days at Lillith, the average attendee at that gig have more testoserone than a WWF wrestler...Hey, if they are not attracted to men, then why the hell do they dress like men to make themselves more attractive to other women who aren't attracted to men?? Just an innocent question on my part.

Synical101

« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2002, 12:43:00 pm »
Yeah, it would be a pretty good idea to put all the mellow bands 1st and all the harder bands afterwards, but keep in mind the radio station and organizers have to work around the bands schedules too.  Cause all the bands have busy schedules and in the spring a lot of radio stations have festivals like HFStival and the bands ll have different set-times at each 1.  So a band might have to play and early set and get on the road t make another date, or if a band is playing late the next night they can play a late set the night b4.  Not 2 mention you gotta consider the popularity and longetivity of the bands.  I mean you wouldn't put U2(a mellow band) along with all the mellow bands in the begning before say Linkin Park.  That would just be wrong.  It would be disrespectful to the older bands.  Anybody understand what I'm saying?

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2002, 12:48:00 pm »
No I don't understand what you're saying. U use 2 many numbers, ala Prince.

Sir HC

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2002, 01:10:00 pm »
How much savings is there typing 2 instead of typing to?  I was thinking mellow day not just time.  Also, I doubt many bands play two festival shows in a day, very few bands play two shows a day period.  Too much chaos.

myuman

« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2002, 01:11:00 pm »
Thinking of headliners:<P>1)Radiohead owes us at least one concert<P>only if #1 is impossible:<BR>Incubus - again.. might be half cool

saco

« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2002, 01:17:00 pm »
I understand Synical101, <P>" in the spring a lot of radio stations have festivals like HFStival"  <P>because every radio station like HFS in all major markets are owned by one of two companies and they all have these huge shows that make it sound like they are unique from the other 20 stations which have almost the same exact same crappy lineup. <BR>And kids from far and wide think, wow THEIR station is really cool because they got "fill in the blank" for their festival while "fill in the blank" is playing 15 other shows exactly like it.  GOD i hate the state of radio today.

myuman

« Reply #87 on: April 02, 2002, 05:17:00 pm »
Yeah, I remember being in Philly, must have been early august last year and some radio station was having a festival at... I think it was the tweeter center.. that was almost identical to the lineup at HFS.

kurosawa-b/w

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2002, 12:35:00 pm »
I find it interesting that there is no 9:30 Club show scheduled for May 25th yet. I wonder if they are leaving it open for a special show by the HFS headliner that day? That's what they did last year, I think.

angelml

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2002, 12:39:00 pm »
yeah last year they had american hi-fi and live play at the club after day one of the festival...