Author Topic: Beulah Done  (Read 3733 times)

jadetree

Beulah Done
« on: January 13, 2003, 11:42:00 am »
Beulah to Disband After Final LP, Tour<P>Will Bryant reports:<BR>The slow, silent decay of the once-mighty Elephant 6 empire continues with the announcement that flagship E6 signing Beulah will be disbanding in 2003 following a final LP and tour. Roger Moutenot (of Yo La Tengo production repute) will record the band's fourth album in San Francisco beginning next month-- their first in a "live setting" as opposed to their previous method of laboriously home-recording each track individually. "We spent over five hundred hours recording the last one piece by piece and sometimes too much time is just that," Beulah's Bill Swan writes on the band's official website. "I mean, it was fun to sit around in the studio TV room watching [reruns] while one of the guys labored over playing a single part perfectly to a click track for four hours, but..."<P>Beulah, formed by Swan and former co-worker Miles Kurosky in 1995, were the first band to be signed to Robert Scheider's Elephant 6 label and invited to join the E6 collective proper (not just as "extended family"). Each of Beulah's subsequent releases was issued on a different label, which has caused extensive difficulty in keeping the group's back catalog in print. Beulah's beloved 1999 sophomore album, When Your Heartstrings Break, was initially issued on Sugar Free and remains unavailable (though a reissue is in the works for early 2003). A third album, 2001's The Coast Is Never Clear, was released by the now-defunct Capricorn imprint Velocette.<P>No official reason was given for the split, save a desire to ditch the starving-artists routine and pursue other goals. "This record (our fourth and final) should come out next fall barring something unforeseen," Swan writes. "As usual, we will tour to support it (there will be more than one round of touring). Then, not as usual, we are going to call it a day, go home to our wives, girlfriends and kids, get real jobs and become adults." As previously reported, the Elephant 6 collective ceased use of the fanciful moniker and logo last year and plans to eulogize the phenomenon with a final label compilation sometime in 2003.<P>

Henry Dark

Re: Beulah Done
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2003, 12:06:00 pm »
Wow that sucks. Glad they will tour one more time so I can see them!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2003, 07:13:00 pm »
ditto... they disappointed me the one time i saw them at 9:30 club w/ gomez.   you couldn't hear the keyboards...  the whole show sucked period
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2003, 08:03:00 pm »
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kosmo:<BR><B>ditto... they disappointed me the one time i saw them at 9:30 club w/ gomez.   </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Which time was that? I dont remember any of Gomezs supports acts.......

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2003, 10:32:00 am »
i believe it was in early 2000... not sure that period of my life was a bit of a blur
T.Rex

markie

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2003, 11:45:00 am »
I was there and must of seen them, but they had no impact on me.....<P>I wonder if me' wifey remembers?

nicks bad seed

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2003, 04:05:00 pm »
I saw them twice at the Black Cat where they gave a great performance and the one time at the Gomez show and the 9:30 one was the weakest performance of the three. <P>Some bands aren't made for certain clubs.  I felt the same way when SFA performed at the 9:30 club this year.  Underwhelming show whereas the shows at the Black Cat have been super.  <P>  <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Veranda">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kosmo:<BR><B>ditto... they disappointed me the one time i saw them at 9:30 club w/ gomez.   you couldn't hear the keyboards...  the whole show sucked period</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>