Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242814 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #4470 on: May 02, 2014, 12:26:41 pm »
Found a bottle of Parabola for $18 at a random liquor store in the city yesterday!

no way!  did they have any more?

i, brennser and another bottle-share regular met up at GBD last night for their tapping of Parabola.  got 2 glasses in before having to leave.  best goddam imperial stout on the planet.  it was a tad hot, can't wait to taste my bottles once they get a bit of age on them.  somewhat annoying that the draft last night was exactly twice as expensive as buying it in the bottle.

off to VT this weekend, last of awesome beer.  should be bringing back some Heady ;D
<sig>

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #4471 on: May 02, 2014, 01:24:14 pm »
best goddam imperial stout on the planet.  it was a tad hot, can't wait to taste my bottles once they get a bit of age on them.
Have you tried Founders? It has both a prettier label and is from Michigan.
LVMH

James Ford

« Reply #4472 on: May 02, 2014, 02:31:30 pm »
If you're talking about Founders Imperial Stout, you're comparing apples to oranges.

Since Parabola is barrel aged, you'd need to compare Founders KBS to Parabola. Which is better? Well buy me one of each and I'll tell you. Might as well also by me a Goose Island BCBS and a Bell's Black Note to compare as well.

best goddam imperial stout on the planet.  it was a tad hot, can't wait to taste my bottles once they get a bit of age on them.
Have you tried Founders? It has both a prettier label and is from Michigan.

« Reply #4473 on: May 02, 2014, 02:42:21 pm »
Which is better? Well buy me one of each and I'll tell you. Might as well also by me a Goose Island BCBS and a Bell's Black Note to compare as well.
I'll get right on that. PM me your address so I know where to ship them.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4474 on: May 05, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
Found a bottle of Parabola for $18 at a random liquor store in the city yesterday!

no way!  did they have any more?

Unfortunately no... or I would've bought it!

Yada

« Reply #4475 on: May 05, 2014, 10:11:52 am »
so... many... beer...events.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4476 on: May 05, 2014, 11:31:05 am »
Since Parabola is barrel aged, you'd need to compare Founders KBS to Parabola. Which is better? Well buy me one of each and I'll tell you. Might as well also by me a Goose Island BCBS and a Bell's Black Note to compare as well.

this year's KBS was a disappointment (despite being from Michigan).  BCBS is superb, but Parabola is much more drinkable.  i had 20 oz of Parabola at GBD last week, and if i had time i would have had 20 more.  i once had an entire 12 oz bottle of BCBS to myself and it was all i wanted.  i haven't tried Black Note in a long time (and struck out this year, i was impossible to find) so i can't rate it.  thus, my ordering is:
1. Parabola
2. Bourbon County Brand Stout
3. KBS
? Black Note

of note: Black Note, from Michigan, also comes in an attractive package:

<sig>

Yada

« Reply #4477 on: May 05, 2014, 11:36:16 am »
KBS was bad this year??? I have one 12' left and a four pack of 13', was hoping to score the 14' at some point. I guess it was a good year to come up empty handed!

I plan to drink a ton of Parabola this week.

James Ford

« Reply #4478 on: May 05, 2014, 12:22:06 pm »
Which ones are you (and other boardies) planning on hitting?

My wife and I are doing to Paradiso flower beer thing for lunch Thursday and the Meridian Pint sours for brunch on Sunday.

I'm likely doing the Kuhnhenn thing at Churchkey Friday with a friend or alone.

I'd also like to do the Surly/Churchkey event just so that I could have my first Abrasive, but don't know if I can swing it.

I'd also like to do the old beers thing at Meridian Pint just to have a Sucaba, but think I'll miss that one as well.  The Founders and Stone events look appealing, but likely will miss them too.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4479 on: May 05, 2014, 12:28:31 pm »
KBS was bad this year???

not bad per se, didn't live up to the hype.  i had it on draft twice, and both times i didn't have a second serving - i moved on to something else on the menu.  that isn't a good sign.  at least 3 other beer nerds i've been chatting with agree that KBS just wasn't all that this year, at least on tap.  i have one bottle which i'll give a few months before drinking.

with parabola, i had two servings and would have had more.  

was hoping to score the 14' at some point.

i assume you're talking about trading for it, because KBS has come and gone.  you ain't gonna be buying it retail.  as you noted, not a bad year to strike out.
<sig>

stevewizzle

« Reply #4480 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:35 pm »
KBS was bad this year???

not bad per se, didn't live up to the hype.

are you saying you couldn't taste it's rareness? 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4481 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:36 pm »

this is a bad week for me to be going out in the evening, so other than the flower lunch thinky i don't think i'm going to make anything else.  sad beer-drinking panda (but happier bank account).
<sig>

« Reply #4482 on: May 05, 2014, 01:04:29 pm »
of note: Black Note, from Michigan, also comes in an attractive package:

I'm NOT loving that packaging.
LVMH

Yada

« Reply #4483 on: May 05, 2014, 01:57:57 pm »

My wife and I are doing to Paradiso flower beer thing for lunch Thursday and the Meridian Pint sours for brunch on Sunday.

I'm likely doing the Kuhnhenn thing at Churchkey Friday with a friend or alone.

I'd also like to do the Surly/Churchkey event just so that I could have my first Abrasive, but don't know if I can swing it.

I'd also like to do the old beers thing at Meridian Pint just to have a Sucaba, but think I'll miss that one as well.  The Founders and Stone events look appealing, but likely will miss them too.

Not completely sure yet, but hopefully the Surly or one of the many Firestone Walker events (big hunt, paradiso, or CK).

I wish I was able to do some of the ones that are earlier in the day, but it just ain't in the cards.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4484 on: May 05, 2014, 02:36:30 pm »
for all the maryland homers:

Flying Dog announces Dead Rise Summer Ale - brewed with Old Bay
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2014-04-04/entertainment/bal-flying-dog-old-bay-20140404_1_flying-dog-old-bay-true-blue-program
<sig>