Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242804 times)

walk,on,by

Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #5820 on: September 16, 2015, 06:12:05 pm »
just looked, and you know, photos are funny.  you look at one and at that distinct moment in time, that is how that person looks to you . . . until you see another photo of them or meet them.  they are both not horrible looking in the photos, but not super hot or grinder instafuckable; that,s two dates in poontang.  but that is just off one photo, from who knows when, and they may not even really look like that right this very moment.

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #5821 on: September 17, 2015, 09:10:30 am »
Finally hit up Tree House while I was visiting my parents in Albany this past weekend. About a two hour drive each way - thankfully it was very much worth the drive. Julius is a fantastic IPA but I was fortunate enough to visit when they produced a one-off IPA dubbed In Perpetuity. By the time I arrived they were out of cans of it but at least they still had it on tap so I bought a few bottles (you have to buy their growler/glassware on top of that - MA state law). In Perpetuity was better than Julius IMHO, so that's saying a lot. Was also able to score a few bottles of Double Shot which is probably my favorite coffee stout, as well as cans of That's What She Said and Eureka, both of which are very solid beers.

Brought an extra suitcase to pack all my cans, and separately packaged the bottles in a box with bubble wrap and packing paper and everything arrived intact (I event went overboard by using electrical tape for the caps and putting each bottle in a huge resealable bag in case of breakage). Southwest and their two free checked bags FTW!

Space Freely

« Reply #5822 on: September 17, 2015, 09:40:59 am »
Finally hit up Tree House while I was visiting my parents in Albany this past weekend. About a two hour drive each way - thankfully it was very much worth the drive. Julius is a fantastic IPA but I was fortunate enough to visit when they produced a one-off IPA dubbed In Perpetuity. By the time I arrived they were out of cans of it but at least they still had it on tap so I bought a few bottles (you have to buy their growler/glassware on top of that - MA state law). In Perpetuity was better than Julius IMHO, so that's saying a lot. Was also able to score a few bottles of Double Shot which is probably my favorite coffee stout, as well as cans of That's What She Said and Eureka, both of which are very solid beers.

Brought an extra suitcase to pack all my cans, and separately packaged the bottles in a box with bubble wrap and packing paper and everything arrived intact (I event went overboard by using electrical tape for the caps and putting each bottle in a huge resealable bag in case of breakage). Southwest and their two free checked bags FTW!

Wow, that sounds like an awesome trip and awesome haul! When will you be hosting the next Forum bottle share?  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5823 on: September 17, 2015, 11:17:12 am »
Southwest and their two free checked bags FTW!

seriously.  i don't know if i'll ever fly another airline again when going to a beer-centric destination.  a few times now i've brought a second suitcase that was empty save for bubble wrap.  it comes back packed with nothing but beer ;D 
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #5824 on: September 17, 2015, 11:40:00 am »

seriously.  i don't know if i'll ever fly another airline again when going to a beer-centric destination.  a few times now i've brought a second suitcase that was empty save for bubble wrap.  it comes back packed with nothing but beer ;D 

If only Southwest flew to Burlington.

Space Freely

« Reply #5825 on: September 17, 2015, 11:51:52 am »

hehehe...we've flown Southwest to Tampa and Portland/Seattle this year.

vansmack

« Reply #5826 on: September 17, 2015, 12:41:32 pm »
Do they not ship beer like they do wine?
27>34

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5827 on: September 17, 2015, 01:01:35 pm »
Do they not ship beer like they do wine?

sure, but shipping can get expensive and can be a pain.  one thing that wine has over beer is that shipping is much more common.  wine shops and vinyards sometimes have shippers, boxes and packing material, etc available on site.  this is almost non-existent in the beer scene so you need to drag it with you or scramble on site to find it (taking time and money).

i have shipped beer back to myself.  it's a lot simpler to pack in a free suitcase.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #5828 on: September 17, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »
Yet another reason to drink wine and fly only where Virgin flies....
27>34

BrettnotBritt

« Reply #5829 on: September 17, 2015, 03:11:52 pm »
I actually went to Home Depot they day before leaving and got a small moving box, bubble wrap, and electrical tape (to keep the bottle seals shut - these were Tree House bottles so they weren't capped like most retail bombers). That way I wouldn't have to stress out about bottles breaking in my suitcase and leaving my clothes and luggage stinking of beer.

When I checked the box, the Southwest attendant asked what was inside and I told him beer. He asked where I went and I said Massachusetts to which he replied, "Oh, so you went to Tree House? Have you had their Julius?" He was also quite knowledgable about all the Heady case deliveries in Vermont, too. So yeah, BEER DORKS EVERYWHERE!

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5830 on: September 17, 2015, 03:18:38 pm »
I actually went to Home Depot they day before leaving and got a small moving box, bubble wrap, and electrical tape (to keep the bottle seals shut - these were Tree House bottles so they weren't capped like most retail bombers). That way I wouldn't have to stress out about bottles breaking in my suitcase and leaving my clothes and luggage stinking of beer.

When I checked the box, the Southwest attendant asked what was inside and I told him beer. He asked where I went and I said Massachusetts to which he replied, "Oh, so you went to Tree House? Have you had their Julius?" He was also quite knowledgable about all the Heady case deliveries in Vermont, too. So yeah, BEER DORKS EVERYWHERE!
Cool story, Britt.
LVMH

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #5831 on: September 17, 2015, 03:18:48 pm »

Cool story, Britt.
I mean, Brett.
LVMH

Space Freely

« Reply #5832 on: September 17, 2015, 05:32:17 pm »

As Dungeons and Dragons slowly goes out of business.

hutch

« Reply #5833 on: September 17, 2015, 06:21:59 pm »
beer dork, is that what it is?

Space Freely

« Reply #5834 on: September 17, 2015, 07:00:58 pm »
beer dork, is that what it is?

like a record collector dork, but tastier  ;D