Author Topic: The Beer Thread  (Read 3242940 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: The Beer Thread
« Reply #7320 on: August 22, 2016, 02:51:42 pm »
gotcha, i thought the Bon Chien post in the previous thread was a negative due to the Space/Ounce ratio. Where can I find a tap list?

yeah, that price on Bon Chien is ridiculously low.  first, i've only ever seen it on tap once - when the brewer was doing a tour.  second, the stuff is typically around $30 a bottle at retail, when you can find it.  $8 a pour is a great price.
<sig>

Yada

« Reply #7321 on: August 22, 2016, 02:53:27 pm »
Taplist comparable in quality and size to that of Answer, which is onlne, though they might only have one or two Answer beers on draft compared to the full complement at the Answer itself.

omg. Gracias space.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7322 on: August 23, 2016, 05:02:29 pm »
words fail me.

State Delegate Who Has Defended Montgomery County?s Liquor Monopoly Owns Business that Collects Millions in Lease Payments from Department of Liquor Control

Ben Kramer co-owns a commercial property that has leased space to a county liquor store since 2003
http://www.bethesdamagazine.com/Bethesda-Beat/Web-2016/State-Delegate-Who-Has-Defended-Montgomery-Countys-Liquor-Monopoly-Owns-Business-that-Collects-Millions-in-Lease-Payments-from-Department-of-Liquor-Control/
<sig>

« Reply #7323 on: August 23, 2016, 05:47:36 pm »
call me crazy, but how does one have a '2016 Virginia Craft Beer Award' and Aslin nor Oclet not even medal?

The Answer Brewpub, took two first-place awards. Its Larceny won for Best American IPA, and Mami Cereza won for Best Fruit Beer.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7324 on: August 23, 2016, 06:04:07 pm »
<sig>

« Reply #7325 on: August 23, 2016, 11:06:00 pm »
call me crazy, but how does one have a '2016 Virginia Craft Beer Award' and Aslin nor Oclet not even medal?

did they enter?
obviously not...not 100% why not being a VA Craft Beer award
I just think it would be like having the Olympics and Bolt and Justice didn't run the 100m

slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #7326 on: August 24, 2016, 07:50:36 am »
I think the Olympics still mattered pre-2004.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7327 on: August 24, 2016, 10:16:34 am »

did they enter?
obviously not...not 100% why not being a VA Craft Beer award
I just think it would be like having the Olympics and Bolt and Justice didn't run the 100m

beer competitions, like the 100m, require participants to actively enter.  bolt (or any other competitor) can't just show up on the day of the race and expect a place to be held for them - they need to submit paperwork, qualify, etc.

i don't know if aslin and ocelot failed to submit their beer, but that's one explanation.

another is that, you know, they didn't win.  they make amazing IPAs.  so do other breweries...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7328 on: August 24, 2016, 11:04:56 am »
enjoyed recently:  a lot of hazy, hop-heavy beers.

- DC Brau #ultrafresh: the cans i got were 2.5 weeks old, not sure if that constitutes "ultra fresh" but the beer was awesome.  there's a term that has emerged to describe New England IPAs, "juicy", and this one has it in spades.

- Enjoy By 09.05.16: not quite as mind-blowing as i remember the last unfiltered enjoy by being, back in february, but still amazing.  not sure if i like the #ultrafresh more than the enjoy by.  both are great.

- my homebrewed hoppy stylistic frankenbeer: it's hopped like an IPA, has caramel rye which is more indicative of a pale ale but the alcohol is too high for an APA, it's partially on the way to an american barleywine... an extra pale ale?  whatever, it's cloudy and it's damn tasty.
<sig>

brennser

« Reply #7329 on: August 24, 2016, 02:12:51 pm »
#ultrafresh is 3 stars

enjoyed recently:  a lot of hazy, hop-heavy beers.

- DC Brau #ultrafresh: the cans i got were 2.5 weeks old, not sure if that constitutes "ultra fresh" but the beer was awesome.  there's a term that has emerged to describe New England IPAs, "juicy", and this one has it in spades.

- Enjoy By 09.05.16: not quite as mind-blowing as i remember the last unfiltered enjoy by being, back in february, but still amazing.  not sure if i like the #ultrafresh more than the enjoy by.  both are great.

- my homebrewed hoppy stylistic frankenbeer: it's hopped like an IPA, has caramel rye which is more indicative of a pale ale but the alcohol is too high for an APA, it's partially on the way to an american barleywine... an extra pale ale?  whatever, it's cloudy and it's damn tasty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7330 on: August 24, 2016, 03:57:11 pm »
dang.  thanks for setting the record straight.

still recommended ;D
<sig>

« Reply #7331 on: August 25, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
Hit up canteen again and  they are getting some pretty spectacular brews
Had a prarrie: standard and funky gold  mosaic
Also a stillwater/ otther half colab called Rockstar farmer,  which was a brett IPA

I found out this is a NRG group thing, hence the good selection
The barkeep said during snallygaster they are going to have all 20 taps going with some pretty rare stuff
slack

fatskippy

« Reply #7332 on: August 25, 2016, 08:37:29 pm »
Had a prarrie: standard and funky gold  mosaic

funky gold mosaic is one of my favorite beers

vansmack

« Reply #7333 on: August 26, 2016, 06:07:57 pm »
Enjoyed recently: the Banquet Beer straight from the source.
27>34

Space Freely

« Reply #7334 on: August 31, 2016, 10:59:32 pm »
Aslin first anniversary party, $100...but you do get free sunglasses...

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/aslin-anniversary-party-tickets-27439635689