Author Topic: two wheelin  (Read 76099 times)

Re: two wheelin
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2022, 06:57:09 pm »
Nice bike themed tour poster
slack

« Reply #211 on: June 16, 2022, 02:08:18 pm »
wow, the DMV is only getting better every year
this map of existing and proposed bike paths is amazing
https://gis.railstotrails.org/ctc/?org=1836&lvl=100&ite=2363&lea=2531681&ctr=0&par=1&trk=a105x00000E5G9QAAV

MD was REALLY behind on this, but the proposed new trails look amazing

this one looks great too
Custis (I-66) Trail Extension
New section of Custis Trail to extend from Merrifield to Gainesville along I-66
slack

« Reply #212 on: August 09, 2022, 04:32:18 pm »

see if you can spot the side hatch spelling technique
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2022, 11:53:20 am »
There’s a New 750-Mile Bicycle Route in New York. Take a Look.
We rode every inch of it, from Manhattan to Buffalo to the Canadian border. This is what it was like.
<sig>

« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2022, 01:00:43 pm »
when Sweets says we...he means the person who wrote the NYT article

come on man...italics!
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #215 on: November 17, 2022, 01:43:12 pm »
Looks like I may be taking the plunge, er, into the triathlon world. Any tips on how not to get screwed buying a used bike? My entry level price range (i.e., <$1,500) turns up a lot of sketchy results.

« Reply #216 on: November 17, 2022, 01:51:58 pm »
used bike market can be tough to navigate as a novice
But there is no shortage of wealthy men who are like "I'm going to do a tri" go out and spend $5k on a bike and it collects dust

hard thing about bike fit is geometry on every bike is different, so a 54 cm is a different on different brands
So if you are buying used makes it even harder

what kind of fit you like on a 5 min test ride vs a 100 mile ride is also a big dif
Their are places that rent decent road bikes, that way you can get a 20 mile ride in to see how you feel on that bike vs another

sadly, for a tri bike $1500 even used is fairly limited.
slack

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #217 on: November 17, 2022, 02:17:25 pm »
don't get too fixated on buying a "tri bike" if you're just starting out.  get a road bike you're comfy on, doesn't need to have the "tri bike" label attached.  for $1500 you'll probably be better off getting a standard road bike and then adding arm rests (if you think you need/want them).  the missus does the occasional tri and she uses a decent road bike with arm rests and a few other things added on.  means she can also use the bike for straight-up road biking without looking like a wannabe.
<sig>

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #218 on: November 17, 2022, 03:03:27 pm »
Yeah good point - I'm really only looking at "performance" road bikes. I'm told that I shouldn't really go for anything more than 5 years old, and should stick with Ultegras or 105s. There are plenty of really good choices just outside my price range :(

« Reply #219 on: November 17, 2022, 05:07:59 pm »
don't get too fixated on buying a "tri bike" if you're just starting out.  get a road bike you're comfy on, doesn't need to have the "tri bike" label attached.  for $1500 you'll probably be better off getting a standard road bike and then adding arm rests (if you think you need/want them).  the missus does the occasional tri and she uses a decent road bike with arm rests and a few other things added on.  means she can also use the bike for straight-up road biking without looking like a wannabe.
good advice
those areo bars you can get for $150 or less and put them on yourself
I think you should worry less about weight/aerodynamics/carbon fiber stuff/high end gearing  and more about a bike you enjoy riding for 100 miles
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #220 on: November 17, 2022, 07:38:02 pm »
I feel like this would be perfect if it were $1,200

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/bik/7555752580.html

Yada

« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2023, 05:12:57 pm »
Happy Bicycle Day

« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2023, 05:20:56 pm »
Happy Bicycle Day
didn’t even know and managed to get 13 miles in the saddle today
slack

Yada

« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2023, 05:30:02 pm »
Happy Bicycle Day

It's a different kind of bicycle day, but that sounds nice!

« Reply #224 on: April 28, 2023, 09:38:16 am »
So... E-Bikes....kinda hate them and think they should have to use the roads like mopeds.

two big issues
1. The people who tend to ride/own them - not bikers.  So not at all familiar with bike etiquette and safe riding
2. Those things can weigh over 100 lbs.  So add #1 to that and think of an accident with someone not paying attention on a heavy piece of equipment = fatal accidents for walkers and other users of the trails.   (then more negative press against traditional pedal-powered bikers)

I do think they are a great concept and is WAAAY better for the environment, traffic and your health.

Although maybe not that good for one's health, I followed a guy for a few miles...never moved his pedals once and was doing approx 18 mph

One last gripe.  You are just crushing it up a steep hill and giving it all you have.  Then one of these doofuses passes you without even pedaling! I kinda want to stick my tire pump in his spokes.

E-bikes shouldn't be on bike trails!

Happy Bicycle Day

It's a different kind of bicycle day, but that sounds nice!
forgot about Hofmann's trippy bike ride...will take a dose next ride to celebrate
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:42:03 am by Fulfilled-Hatch ıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llıl »
slack