Author Topic: COVID-19 2020  (Read 401106 times)

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
Re: COVID-19 2020
« Reply #2925 on: June 08, 2021, 08:16:47 am »
I hate to be the one to break it to you Space, but these aren't your people.

Do you think they were extremely risk averse because if in the unlikely event (i.e., 0% - 5% chance) that they contracted COVID-19, their plans to uproot their lives and start over in a new country would effectively be canceled, and they'd be stuck in New York without a place to live, jobs, schools etc?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 09:07:42 am by excontradiction »

Yada

« Reply #2926 on: June 08, 2021, 09:18:23 am »
It only took me a few hours in NYC over the weekend to completely become a Yada about the overzealousness of masking requirements and some people's lack of applied science..

My wife and I are fully vaccinated, and my daughter was 21 days past her first Pfizer (got #2 yesterday.) Despite that, most stores and eateries made all of us don masks to enter. Other Half even collected our contact tracing information.

We went to visit an old friend and his family. They were in the process of moving from one second/third world country to another, and had a two month stopover in NYC to get vaccinated. Friend and wife are fully vaccinated and daughter had shot #2 on Friday. In spite of that, they forced us to wait over an hour for the opportunity to sit outside in the 90 degree heat instead of instantly getting a table inside in the AC. While doing that, my friend guzzled four glasses of wine (which we basically paid for since we split the bill between families and they had the more expensive food total to begin with), and their family insisted on wearing masks the entire time we stood outdoors, making it hard to hear them. They even wore the masks the entire time we were at the table, sometimes even putting the masks back on to pause between bites mid-meal.

This is the content I come here for.

Cla$$ic F'QN $pace!

A+

Space Freely

« Reply #2927 on: June 08, 2021, 09:59:51 am »
I hate to be the one to break it to you Space, but these aren't your people.

Do you think they were extremely risk averse because if in the unlikely event (i.e., 0% - 5% chance) that they contracted COVID-19, their plans to uproot their lives and start over in a new country would effectively be canceled, and they'd be stuck in New York without a place to live, jobs, schools etc?

NYC is averaging 80 cases per day in a city of 8.4 million. Four of us were fully vaccinated and two nearly so. Where are you getting 5% from?

Starsky

« Reply #2928 on: June 08, 2021, 10:10:06 am »
Your friends are obviously still holding on a bit too tight to go out

They either are lying to themselves about their comfort with going out or felt pressured - by circumstances- to meet up

People really need to go with what they are comfortable and just be honest

NYC must be seriously suffering covid PTSD.. no place in the world probably got hit harder.. so it’s understandable on a human level even if not on a science level..people are not computers

« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:13:36 am by Starsky »

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #2929 on: June 08, 2021, 10:10:26 am »
Vaccines are generally considered 95% effective in preventing infection.

NYC is averaging 80 new cases per day. All of the newly diagnosed cases have been infected for 3-10 days prior to the onset of symptoms. The number of currently infected is unknown. The number of currently infected at the restaurant you went to - whether they know it or not - is also unknown.

Yada

« Reply #2930 on: June 08, 2021, 10:12:32 am »
Speaking of Covid, an old co worker of mine died in Richmond two weeks ago of covid.

46 years old.

« Reply #2931 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:31 am »
^ that sucks yada, sorry to hear that
slack

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #2932 on: June 08, 2021, 10:18:38 am »
Speaking of Covid, an old co worker of mine died in Richmond two weeks ago of covid.

46 years old.

This.

But some would say that the numbers are so low that it doesn't matter.

I'm sorry for your loss, Yada.

Yada

« Reply #2933 on: June 08, 2021, 10:20:05 am »

46 years old.

This.

What sucks, is he missed the vax because he waited in line (seriously).

Caught in in early April, battled it for a few weeks, got better, sick again and in the hospital and gone... F'd up.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #2934 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:20 am »
...they forced us to wait over an hour for the opportunity to sit outside in the 90 degree heat instead of instantly getting a table inside in the AC.

...and their family insisted on wearing masks the entire time we stood outdoors, making it hard to hear them.

I'm so sorry you were inconvenienced by other people's masks. You should make better choices with who you choose to interact with.

« Reply #2935 on: June 08, 2021, 10:24:37 am »
I flew this weekend from NYtoDCA and they didn't ask for a vaccine card
you were supposed to fill out the covid form and had to wear a mask from the entry of airport, on plane and until exit of airport (well it was ok to take it off in restaurants and if you were eating while waiting)
I'd say it was pretty close to 100% compliance

@WSJ
Airlines are battling a scourge of passengers traveling with falsified Covid-19 health certificates, with test results easy to manipulate. Because of that, vaccine cards may be coming.
slack

Space Freely

« Reply #2936 on: June 08, 2021, 10:26:21 am »

46 years old.

This.

If you're vaccinated, the numbers are so low that it doesn't matter.

« Reply #2937 on: June 08, 2021, 10:27:40 am »
dude, I think it's time to leave your crassness at the door
slack

Julian, Forum COGNOSCENTI

• 11x MVP, 1st Posts, HoF, Certified Weblebrity
« Reply #2938 on: June 08, 2021, 11:04:11 am »
Yes, it matters when someone dies. Of course. It also does necessarily “matter” enough to impact public policy any longer. How do people not get this?

It’s really sad if a kid drowns to death in a bucket. It’s also not reason to ban buckets. The two are not mutually exclusive.
LVMH

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
« Reply #2939 on: June 08, 2021, 11:10:13 am »
Space wasn't complaining about public policy. Space was complaining about other people's personal risk tolerance. Space was also complaining about the price of wine in NYC and his gradual hearing loss.